SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes P-51 Build in Progress!! =)

Hey! This is my new thread about my new Great Planes P-51 40 size build. It's been a wonderful aircraft so far in the building stage. Right now I'm almost done with the body. I didn't do the wing because I am waiting for the Great planes wing jig to come in so I can make sure I'm building a straight wing. Here are just a few pictures of the build and how it's going.
Gravitus is offline Find More Posts by Gravitus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2006, 09:24 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Continuing Progress

I got the nose done now. They said to mount the engine inverted for this part and that the engine would be centered still when you side mounted it again but it wasn't so I had to put some washers below the engine to shift it back to where it was but other than that it is going alot much better than I had planned for my second model!
Old May 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Continued 2

Here's the left part of the wing. I just started on it because I was waiting on the Great Planes wing jig that really helps keep it straight. Enjoy!
Old May 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Continued

Here I have a video of the retract system that I got working today and also I got the top part of the wing completely sheeted. Enjoy!!
Last edited by Gravitus; May 20, 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 04:41 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nice
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old May 22, 2006, 10:23 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Update

Awesome! The wing is now completely sheeted and and ready to get the landing gear bend and ready to go. Here are the pics..
Old May 22, 2006, 10:57 PM
Klamath, Ca
Joined Aug 2003
129 Posts
Gravitus, What brand, and what size, (40 or 60), of retracts are you using? I noticed on my plans that 'Great Planes' is recommending another brand of retracts, other than their own, in the installation. I thought that was kinda strange that they wouldn't want their own brand used in their P-51 Mustang kit. Thanks for any info, as the "Mustang" is next on the building board. Dan O.
papaoften is offline Find More Posts by papaoften
Old May 22, 2006, 11:31 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Reply to papaoften

I'm using the Robarts 85 degree 3/8" retracts. These retracts are stronger than needed I noticed but too late to return them LOL.

here's a link to a video that I made showing the retracts in action right after I got them working. Click Here
Last edited by Gravitus; May 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added link for retracts video
Old May 23, 2006, 09:30 AM
Long Island
Joined Nov 2003
588 Posts
Looks really good!! How did you like the GP wing jig?
techguy is offline Find More Posts by techguy
Old May 24, 2006, 05:16 AM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Reply to Tech

I really like the wing jig. It might be better to build your own if it's less than the $19 I paid for it but you can use it over and over again with more than just great planes models. It makes your wing perfectly straight and helps keeps things in position while glueing It's definately a good tool to have.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2006
47 Posts
Veeerrrry nice plane.

how maney houres do you have in this and what do you think the total houres will be

thank you

steven
newb flyer is offline Find More Posts by newb flyer
Old May 24, 2006, 09:05 AM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
reply to Newb Flyer

I think I've got a total of 30 hours already into this or maybe up to 40 if you include waiting times LOL But It should take me at least another 30 to finish the wing and cover the plane in monokote. I'm still undecided what WWII P-51 I want to emulate. I'm going to search around some more and see which scheme I like the best.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:00 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Progress Continues!

Here is the wing and the fuselage just put together. I don't have it mounted yet but I did get the wing fiberglassed in the middle now. I just need to get it sanded down some and put some wood filler ontop of it to make it disappear and appear flush. I haven't done much lately because I bought my original plane again. I originally had a Hobbico Nexstar that started me out flying but about a year and a half into flying it, I crashed it. The wing came off in mid air due to a structure crack. I should have noticed it LOL But I loved my nexstar so much that I had to buy it again so i could have something just to lumber around in. Here are the pictures of the Nexstar ARF and the updated P-51
Old May 27, 2006, 05:48 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Looking better!

Here are the wingtips. I got the ailerons done but I realized that one of the ailerons is warped! I'm going to have to see if I can get it straightened out hehehehe Anyone have any suggestions? I have it clamped to my counter top (which yes is straight) and I'm moistening it everyonce in a while. Are there better ways to clear up this problem or should I just buy another stick? Here you go guys!!!
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:40 PM
Gravitus
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2006
22 Posts
Update 6/3/2006

OK, I haven't done much lately because I've been either flying my Nexstar, being with my wife, signing up for school, or watching the jet rodeo we're having at our flying club, which by the way was awesome! There were probably about 150 people there not including all the jet's that were there (about 30) and an AMA show team was there. It was cool! But I've gotten the wing bolted on, the rest of the scoop finish and at least a crude form of the front body mold on the front of the wing. I still have to shape it so that will happen here soon.