SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2002, 06:26 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Eco8 - Crash and burn! :-(

Yes... it finally happened (sobbing)

There I was flying my beloved Eco8 at the nearby park. I had just finished "fine tuning" its new 120 deg setup, but it still needed some more work. I had also increased my pitch range from -2 +10 to a more aggressive -6 +10.5/11.

Took off into a hover. Did some forward flight, some loops, but I was mostly trying to get a feel of its new 120 setup. It definitely needed some more adjusting because every time I hit full collective the heli nosed down slightly (the two side linkages were slanted, while the elevator linkage was straight with the servo travel limited) nonetheless I kept on flying .

A family gathered up to watch the "show". They asked me to bring it in closer for them to admire.... I did. I hovered in front of them (at a safe distance) for a little while with the heli's nose facing the wind.

The crash:
I decided to do a tight 180 degree turn, back towards me flying downwind. As I made the turn the helicopter's nose dropped with the wind hitting from the back. I added full collective (with its nose down tendency) and pulled back on the stick.... hmmm.. nothing happened.... CRASH!! Nose-in into the ground . The family went "oooohhhh.." And my mind went "$$$$$$".

The Eco crashed into grass which I think helped absorb part of the impact. Still, it seems to be severely damaged.

Obvious damage:
> Both MS blades cracked at the middle
> Both CF side frames broke!!
> CF flybar snapped both ways
> Lost one of the flybar paddles (couldn't find it)
> Pinion/MainGear/Tail gear are all out of line (something's bent badly)

All Electronic components "appear" to be ok. I'm sure some shafts must be bent!

Total disaster

This is definitely not my week. Last Sunday I smashed my Kyosho glider into a post! Both my digital cameras are not working... and now my Eco 8 went in!

I don't think so... my Logo 10 is not flying this week!

I feel like crap. Fitz, I need some parts!!

Chachin..

P.S: I'll post more information later.. I'm going to go the gym for a little while to unstress myself.

P.P.S: Repairable?? YOU BET!
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2002, 06:40 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello Carlos

Man I am sorry to hear this. I know how you feel. I remember my first crash with my Eco 8 and I almost got tears in my eye. Dont worry you will have it in the air very soon can back to normal.

Oh, do not throw away any of the carbon things. You can use it to make thing. You blades can be fillet in to thin sheets and you can do what ever with them. I used mine to make CF tail blades for my Pic and House Fly and servo mounts for my Piccolo. Just be creative and you really get all you can get out of them.

Oh, make sure you change the bolt holding on the rotor head and that the metal arms that are screwed to the main grips are both identical.

Last, I see you didnt mention that your boom was harmed Got to love that boom.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jul 14, 2002, 06:54 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Sep 2001
348 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck...

Lucky for you Fitz will be back tomorrow...
twguns is offline Find More Posts by twguns
Old Jul 14, 2002, 08:43 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
251 Posts
Carlos,

Sorry to hear about your Eco. I am not looking forward to an experience like that. Why did you go with the 120 setup? Did you think that it would help strengthen the swash setup? Let us know the progress.

Eric
ebrown is offline Find More Posts by ebrown
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:14 PM
Baltimore, MD
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
sorry to hear you have a bad week. i have an echo 8 also, but its all trick out with every single tune parts under the sun. i have invested soo much money into this machine, its not even funny anymore. now i'm scared to even touch it. so i just hang it on the ceiling as an ornament.

anyway, who is Fitz. does he sell parts. does he have a website.
xxcysxx is offline Find More Posts by xxcysxx
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:43 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
251 Posts
xx,

I feel the same way. I cannot upgrade anythig else EXCEPT carbon rotor blades. You can find out about Fitz at:

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/

I am not looking forward to my fist major wreck. Had some close calls though...

Eric
ebrown is offline Find More Posts by ebrown
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:57 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
man that bites.....gotta hang in there though!!

the fear of driving my eco into the ground is one reason why I sold it and got a raptor. The eco is a great chopper, but its no raptor (at least mine wasnt, carlo's on the other hand.... :-)) b/c that crash wouldve cost you 50 bucks!

Good luck and get that eco back up!

scott
foss1997 is offline Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:00 AM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
Hey, I'm surprised you got away without crashing that long! sorry to hear it happened though.
Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Crasher
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:45 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Repairs

Thanks for all the motivation guys, just what I need.

Post-crash inspection:
All right, so I was more relaxed now and took a better look at my smashed-up Eco 8. Yes, many parts were damaged, but I have most of them on hand (lucky me). I still need to order some more.

Other damaged parts:
> Tail belt snapped!
> The canopy looks like crap!

Fixes:
> MS blades: will be replaced by my old stock Wood blades
> CF Frames: are now being replaced by my old stock frames (no more glitches!)
> CF flybar: will be ordered
> Flybar Paddles: will be ordered
> Tail belt: I have another one
> Canopy: whatever.. I'll use the same busted one

It's not that bad after all!! I'm already re-building the helicopter with the old plastic frames. It's coming out pretty nice already. I'm surprised that all my electronics are working (motor, esc, gyro, servos, receiver). What's even more incredible is that my shafts were not bent!! I do have the hardened ones.

I'm also taking the opportunity to install my new Aluminum pulleys from Germany.

And Fitz already re-opened and has the parts I need in stock! My Eco will not be as highly-tuned as before, but will definitely be flying soon!

I'll respond to your comments in a moment. Thanks!

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Jul 15, 2002, 01:02 AM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Nice to hear that it isn't as bad as you first thought! Hope you get it back flying soon. You had the aluminum head right? Just out of curiosity, how did it hold up?
rdogg32 is offline Find More Posts by rdogg32
Old Jul 15, 2002, 01:14 AM