HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Build Log
Ritewing Mini-Demon build (22" mini-wing)

OK kiddies, so after some amount of prodding... I've decided to go ahead and post a semi-real time thread outlining the build of my Mini-Demon. Suffice it to say, it's a Ritewing kit and I intend to build this one as I have all the rest of my Ritewing builds... the Rite way. I believe it can be built with or without 3M90 and FG tape, but I'm a gonna build it WITH. Someone else can do the "without" iff'n there is a need... Given the fact that my 40" TL only gained 3 oz being 3M90'd/taped, I'd say glassing this one will add less than an ounce. I'll letcha know....

I ordered the whole shootin' match from Monsoon. Larry's been very attentive and kept me very much in the loop regarding shipping date, etc. Larry at Monsoon and Randy at Dynamo have both taken very good care of me the last several months and I recommend them highly. I know there are others... these are the guys I've been dealing with, though, and wish to toot their horn a little for satisfying a customer that appreciates "Customer Service."

Oh, and speaking of customer service (or maybe customer cursing.... idunno...) Ck ("klique" here at RC Groups, the Ritewing man himself) is SO reachable, helpful, and enabling... and I just KNOW I have been driving him bat-@#$%. He is the single most powerful selling point for Ritewing kits and RTF's. This man is a veritable encyclopedia of aerodynamic, electronic, and mechanical knowledge. Without Chris' enthusiasm, helpfulness, and reachability, I would still feel like anything beyond my Unicorn was unattainable. The Ritewing Vid said to me.... "Just build it, slacker... It'll fly. You'll see what I mean!" Funny. That's what Chris says to me when we're yakking too....

sniff sniff.... I love you guys...!

OK, cut the crap and get to the build, will ya?

Right....

Medusa 5300 (12mm x 30mm)
PQ 3S 800mah
CC T-Bird 18
Berg microstamp 4 (holy CRAP! This thing is TINY!)
E-Flite Micro Servos
GWS 3x2
Wobbly prop adapter

It's in there......

First pic below is the kit pretty much how it comes out of the box. Cores w/beds, baggie of parts, spar, control rods, etc. I added the other stuff to my order (SC, Rx, batts) to get it all at once so I could get started right away. Notably absent is the motor. I should get it sometime next week. I don't think I need it for anything except soldering to the T-bird when I'm ready. Oh, and for installing the prop... flying, etc. So, I guess it is important after all .

I PU glued the spar in the cores with a little spritz of water, while hot-gluing the cores together. Real time saver (and my standard modus-operandi when I go an a build-binge). As soon as the hot glue cooled, I was able to cut the motor cutout and mark/slash the battery/electronics bays, and generally wreak havoc on what was previously a very nice looking set of cores...

I've settled on a method for marking/cutting bays that seems to be working pretty well. I cut the coroplast the size I want the lid to be (based on battery size/electronics volume), lay the lid on the foam and trace around it with a fine point Sharpie, then move the lid... and make another line 1/8" inside the outline of the lid. Slash out the foam to the inside line, then "touch" my solder iron to the space between the lines to make the lid recess. It really does work out well and goes very quickly (build binge, remember?). Seems to scale well too.

I hot-glue all of my bay lids on now. There are lighter means for lid attachement, and I have used Goop, etc, but this works well for me, goes quickly and makes a joint that is "strong enough." I was conservative with the hot glue on this build, as little bits of weight here and there will add up...

I fired up all the electronics gear and zero'd/centered everything (servos). Coolness. Man, that Rx is small...! Oh, and the servo connections lay flat... which is a must if you want the Rx to fit in the wing without and guts showing... My old Berg 4? Giant in comparison. Nottagonnada...

I positioned the servos pretty well forward. I will probably need nose weight with this build, and wanted to get 'em as far forward as possible. Carved the foam and set 'em in place with hot glue. I taped over the top to keep 3m90 out... and to help keep the FG tape conforming to the shape of the 'foil, marking the cutout I will need for servo travel later on.

Zip, Zap, Zip.... looks like the rest of the Ritewings just prior to covering... aye? Only dinky... Funny, as I mentioned in another thread, parts cost and labor for this build is pretty darn close to what my 40" TL LITE was... Take from that what you wish.

I've still gotta "goop" the motor mount plates in and I'll be ready to 'glass and cover. The plates are laser cut wood with cutouts for zip-ties. One plate on the top, and one on the bottom. I have relieved foam on the top and bottom to make the plates "flush", while I went a little farther with the front of the top plate so the "nose down" thrust isn't too severe. Probably not an issue, but I like to see about 3 degrees of "nose down" on the rest of my wings... I'll do the same for this one. If I'm wrong, sue me.

I think that's about it for now... Hope that catches everyone up that wants to be caught up anyway...

I'll get the wing glassed and maybe covered over the next few days. I'll hold off on covering the elevons until I see how weight and balance is doing... and go from there. If weight is close, they may be going "Au naturale." We'll see.

You know the standard shpeel by now so I won't rattle it off again... just lemme know if you'd like a better description/more pictures of anything. I enjoy the opportunity to share my experiences... so humor me.

I'm looking forward to flying this little monster soon... and expanding the weapons of which I have to choose from at the field!

C-Ya...

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand is offline Find More Posts by chuckand
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2006, 11:35 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Sure...It's cute now, "but later theres running and screaming..."

Mass hysteria!

Say bro, can't wait to see this little wing scream...you may need a wide angle lense to catch this one on tape.

subscribed

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Last edited by Johnnierkt; May 11, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 11, 2006, 02:02 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnierkt
Sure...It's cute now, "but later theres running and screaming..."

Mass hysteria!

Say bro, can't wait to see this little wing scream...you may need a wide angle lense to catch this one on tape.

subscribed

Johnnie
It is a hard one to tape, I tried with my 85 m.p.h. bird and wa unsuccessful.
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old May 11, 2006, 02:10 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
what kind of amps are you pulling with the medusa 5300 on the 3x2 i was thinking of that motor for a small zagnutz?
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old May 11, 2006, 02:20 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckand
The Ritewing Vid said to me.... "Just build it, slacker... It'll fly. You'll see what I mean!" Funny. That's what Chris says to me when we're yakking too....

sniff sniff.... I love you guys...!

OK, cut the crap and get to the build, will ya?

Right....

C-Ya...

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
That's funny Chuck. I'm glad to know that Chris doesn't only call me "slacker". Well, I am actully. Shush, don't tell anyone...

-Dave
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer
Old May 11, 2006, 02:25 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt
what kind of amps are you pulling with the medusa 5300 on the 3x2 i was thinking of that motor for a small zagnutz?
With 3S, early estimate is 15A WOT. I'll report when I get it together and have a chance to benchmark... Someone else outta be able to chime in here. This is a pretty well established setup.

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand is offline Find More Posts by chuckand
Old May 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Lipo Abuser
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer
That's funny Chuck. I'm glad to know that Chris doesn't only call me "slacker". Well, I am actully. Shush, don't tell anyone...

-Dave
heh, thats the defentition of me.
Taylor Mullin is offline Find More Posts by Taylor Mullin
Old May 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Registered Lipo Abuser
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
Chuck how thick is your 800 lipo? I was thinking I could put a 1320 in mine 'til I held one up the core. Not gonna happen. The core is only 1/8 thicker at it's thickest point. Now Im looking for a replacement 3s battery.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
so an 18A esc would cover me right?
Old May 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
Registered Lipo Abuser
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
right
Old May 11, 2006, 06:39 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
thanks
Old May 11, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckand
With 3S, early estimate is 15A WOT. I'll report when I get it together and have a chance to benchmark... Someone else outta be able to chime in here. This is a pretty well established setup.

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
More like 8 or 9 amps I run a Lil Thunder with a T-Bird 9 on that combination. But I will break out my power analizer and get back to you.

O.k. I stand corrected I just got 11.9 amps with a 3X2 prop and the 5300kv motor with a 3-cell. Oh and I have a Phx-10 not the T-bird.

I actually like the 4000kv motor better with the 3x3 prop on 3-cells
Last edited by AZcrashpro; May 11, 2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 11, 2006, 07:52 PM
Registered Lipo Abuser
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
whats the difference between the 4000kv 3x3 and the 5300 3x2 on 3s?
Old May 11, 2006, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Mullin
whats the difference between the 4000kv 3x3 and the 5300 3x2 on 3s?
The 3x3 is faster but the 3x2 has more vertical. As far as amp draw goes the 5300 3x2 draws 11.9 amps and the 4000 3x3 draws 9.2 amps. Living in Phoenix I like the idea of less amps since generally speaking less amps less heat to dissapate.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
With either motor I would use a heat sink anyway.