SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2006, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2006
890 Posts
Discussion
How are Carbon Fiber Blades?

The wooden blades for me just don't hold up too long. I'm flying a little bit in the backyard (no wind), and if the blades knock on the grass, they don't last long at all. The Film starts to tear off, the wood gets chopped and then Blade Balance is an issue.

I'm new to flying Choppers, but getting the hang of it.

I ordered Carbon Fiber Esky Blades last night for durability/strenght and look. Not for inverted flight...Because I still need to learn how to fly, lol

But I'm excited.

Please post your opinions fellow Pilots.

-Jay
Pipercub18 is offline Find More Posts by Pipercub18
Last edited by Pipercub18; May 11, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
i would NOT use the CF blades until youre proficient at flying. Yes theyre are FAR more durable than woodies, but if the blades dont break the next weakest thing will - maingear, mainshaft, etc.
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536
Old May 11, 2006, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
890 Posts
That is true.

I already have broken a Rotor Head Link on one more then one occassion.

The Carbon Fiber Blades are in the mail, but I guess I'll need to find more Wooden Blades.

I'm a little disappointed in that Ebay Doesn't have a mass amount of Low priced parts.

-Jay
Old May 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
'S okay pipercub, put them on the shelf until you are ready for them, that's where mine are. The worst thing I've read about these AND the "indestructible" plasti-blades is that in a hard boom strike, you will chop the boom right off, wires and all.

Check this out, what I'm doing is fixing them up and recovering them when they begin to show a little, ummm . . . usage. A roll of Ultracote, wife's iron, and a way of balancing them after refurb is all you need.

Quote:
and if the blades knock on the grass, they don't last long at all.
You must have tough grass! I feel lucky to walk away with only grass stains. You'll get the hang of leveling it out a little the instant before it goes in, this will help. It does motivate you to keep the lawn mowed though.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old May 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
890 Posts
Wow, those look wonderful.

-Jay
Old May 11, 2006, 11:10 PM
choppernut
Springfield, Missouri
Joined Apr 2006
94 Posts
Yep, Hard boom strike will do it every time. Had a Hornet FP I put a set of CF blades on before my time and what do ya know within a few flights cut the dude right in half. Thats through the boom and the shaft drive. Got a new Hornet 2 with 3d upgrades and I have a set of woodies on order to use during set up untill I am familiar with the bird. My fix on my hornet FP was a set of blades from like90. Very durable and not so distructable.
choppernut is offline Find More Posts by choppernut
Old May 11, 2006, 11:48 PM
HeliTown
The Bay Area, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,047 Posts
CF blades look nice and are more durable and will not break easily. What that means is your heli will get more damaged when crashing because all the forces and impacts are on the heli - not on the blades. Woodies would obsort some of the impacts - this not to mention about CF can be more dangerous to the pilot than the woodies. My tow cents.
Eddiemoth is offline Find More Posts by Eddiemoth
Old May 12, 2006, 12:35 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2006
693 Posts
Watching some guys with CF blades, the blades basically dissappear when they're spun up because they're black. So you lose them as a reference point. As a beginner I couldnt imigine flying right now without a white blade .
Mini-Dub is offline Find More Posts by Mini-Dub
Old May 12, 2006, 08:19 AM
Mapleton, Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
1,887 Posts
CG and weight were "REALLY..REALLY" off on the CF blades I got. I advise checking this and making necessary adjustments before any installation and run-up is attempted. I wish to think perhaps this set I got was particularly mismatched and not typical of the lot in general! And "Yes" learn to fly before you go CF or plastic.
Letcraft is offline Find More Posts by Letcraft
Old May 12, 2006, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
890 Posts
Yea, There coming in the mail. But I'll be picking up more wooden blades.

-Jay