SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2002, 09:56 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
flying the pondside off salty water ?!

in order to fly my pondside from a near by lake I have to pay an entrance fee every time.
since I live near the med. sea I was thinking of flying the pondside from one of the many lagoons we have around here (calm salt water lagoons).

I realize it's not the best thing to do in order to maintain the motor (magnetic mayhem) or any other structural elements of the model. but how much damage can I expect ? I can deep the model in fresh water at the end of the flying day...

the attached photo is just for showing off, no relevance to the thread's subject

appreciate your advices & suggestions, Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2002, 03:52 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
You may find it cheaper in the long run to pay the entrance fee and stay in fresh water. Flushing the motor with fresh water and relubing it will help but the salt in the air will cause corrosion in batt packs and ALL electrical connections. This can cause radio failure and cost you a nice looking seaplane. I ran a fast electric boat in salt water several years ago and it was a mess. Been a firm beliver in fresh water ever since.
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jul 14, 2002, 04:38 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,469 Posts
As a fellow Pondside owner I can see where you're coming from but...... you can never under estimate the agressive corrosion caused by salt water. It is perhaps the worst enviroment out there!
Pay the entrance fee, it will be a lot cheaper.

Best regards
GeeW
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW