Closed Thread
Old May 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Discussion
Castle Link Software locks up when loading or saving parameters

My Castle Link Software locks up when loading or saving parameters.
I just downloaded the latest version and this still has the same problem. I am running windows 2000 and also un-installed .net 2.0 and installed .net 1.1

I would appreciate any help with this as I would like to be able to save the parameters to disk and load them to another ESC.

Thanks,
John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 06:22 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
.net 1.1 should solve the problem

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=297
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2006, 09:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
As I stated above, I still had this problem after removing .net ver. 2.0 and installing .net ver. 1.1.
I am now going to install the MDAC ver 2.8 and the SP1.
John
Old May 11, 2006, 09:01 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
John,

Also install the service pack for .NET 1.1.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old May 11, 2006, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Wolfard
John,

Also install the service pack for .NET 1.1.

Bernie

I did install both of them and I still have the same problem. What version of the MDAC should I install? I have seen mention to both.

John
Old May 11, 2006, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Ok, I un-installed everything and re-installed .net 1.1 and the SP1 and I am still having the same problems. Any other suggestions?
What exactly is the conflict with the CastleLink software? I can't remember what version of the CastleLink software was working properly. I will try and load some earlier versions.

John
Old May 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
Hey John.

I just tried it on my win2k box, and saving and restoring are working fine.

I am using .net1.1 and sp and mdac 2.8.

Have you done a windows update? Are you up to date with all the service packs and so on?
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old May 12, 2006, 09:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
I have downloaded all the windows updates.
I think I have found the problem, my computer gets an error message when installing the MDAC 2.8 SP1. The error is:

INF Install Failure. Reason: Access is denied.

I have searched on this error but I have yet to find a recommended solution for this problem, other than re-installing Windows 2000.

John
Old May 13, 2006, 05:30 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I have downloaded all the windows updates.
I think I have found the problem, my computer gets an error message when installing the MDAC 2.8 SP1. The error is:

INF Install Failure. Reason: Access is denied.

I have searched on this error but I have yet to find a recommended solution for this problem, other than re-installing Windows 2000.

John

Sounds like you have a corrupt system file. Try running the repair option on the install disk then repeat the system updates from Microsoft.

RC
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 16, 2006, 01:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
After several hours of trobleshooting the MDAC problem and getting nowhere, I decided to re-format and re-install windows 2000. Several hours later again after re-installing all my aplications, etc., I installed .net 1.1, .net 1.1 SP1; MDAC 2.8, MDAC 2.8 SP1. Everthing installed this time without errors. After installing the additional Windows Updates, I proceeded to install CastleLink 2.15 which installed without errors as well. I launched CastleLink 2.15 and attached the link cable to the USB port and to my spare CC Phoenix 35. No green lights! Time to call it a day (or 2 by now).

Next day...
After troubleshooting I discovered that the CastleLink driver didn't install during the CastleLink 2.15 installation (very strange) so I tried un-installing and re-installing the CastleLink 2.15 app and still no green lights. I then proceeded to install the driver manually from the properties menus. I pointed it to the CastleLink installation folder which had a copy of the driver and it installed. Two green lights on the display now!

So now I try clicking on the save settings and guess what? The hourglass shows up just like before and the app will not respond. So now I am back to the same point I was at before re-formating. I am starting to wonder if it was worth the effort. I should just make screen shots of the settings

My next attempt, (still in process) is to re-format my old laptop and install Win2000 and try the CastLink. This would actually be good so I can take the laptop outside, except the batteries only run for a few minutes without the AC adapter.

Bernie, or any Castle rep, could you please explain what the application is doing when it loads or saves the settings? At this point I have nothing to go on to attempt troubleshooting.

John
Old May 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Just wanted to add that the CastleLink app works fine other than when I select load or save settings.

John
Old May 16, 2006, 03:05 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
John,

Not being able to load or save settings is an MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Control) issue. Try reaplying the MDAC 2.8 service pack.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old May 16, 2006, 06:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
I have done that many times already. I have downloaded the MDAC component checker from Microsoft and it confirms that I have MDAC 2.8 SP1 installed.

John
Old May 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
I suspect a hardware problem. Since you had an error installing, on a fresh install of windows.

Maybe run some diagnostics, like memtest86+, and a hardware disk diag...
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old May 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
There were no installation errors after re-formating and re-installing windows 2000 pro and as I stated the MDAC component checker tool validates the MDAC install.
I will try running some other applications that use MDAC such as microsoft access and see if I have a problem there as well.

On a side note I have the same issue with my Windows 2000 PC at work when running the CastleLink software and I know that the MDAC software must be running correctly as I attach to multiple SQL and oracle databases via MS Access and other apps.
I am almost finished with my laptop installation, so I will get another chance soon. This time I will install MDAC version 2.7.

John
Closed Thread