Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2002, 12:43 AM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
newbie hornet and FMS questions

well I broke down and bought a hornet. and I am learning to fly on the FMS simulator befor I build it. one question I had is that I downloaded the picolo portion of the sim and have had some decent flights but I noticed the controls are much more responsive on some of the other helis on the system and was wondering if this was representative of small electrics or just the picolo. also how are the controls set up for a heli I.E. what chanel controls what and are there any books you could recomend for basic heli knowlege as well as RC heli set up. also on another subject I have to comend Dream hobbies the service was great as well as the response time.

apperantly it wasnt inverted!!
Toybox is offline Find More Posts by Toybox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2002, 02:40 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
A SIM will not be the same as a the real thing, but you can get close. With RFG2 you can change all the paramiters till it flys close to your own heli.

On the Heli controls;

Right stick is right/left cyclic (forward=forward, left=left, blah-blah)

Left stick is throttle and Tail Rotor. The throttle (and pitch for a CP) works like any plane, down off, up full.

For tail rotor you fly by the nose, so don't get that reversed.

During hover the heli is harder to fly than in FFF, as you are just trying balance all the controls to keep the heli in one spot. In FFF the heli will fly like many RC planes and may need little TR input.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:44 AM
GA USA
Joined Feb 2002
92 Posts
The Pic in FMS is a lot less stable than it's larger bretheren, and this follows through into reality !

The Hornet is similar to the Pic in control response they're both a lot more sensitive and less stable than larger, heavier heli's.
jam66 is offline Find More Posts by jam66