HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2006, 10:57 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
Discussion
EPP Fun Flyer Reno Racers

Hobby Lobby has these going on their Crash Sale in the morning for $39...

EPP Fun Flyer Reno Racers

Anyone know anything about them?

They look cool...

I was thinking about my brothers and I getting all three and setting them up with Esskay 400s... What say ye?
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 01:30 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines. I have never heard of them, any experiences out there?
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old May 10, 2006, 01:36 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
They do look fuzzy - I wondered about that! But they do look like a good bit of fun, too. I had the same thought, 'Eagle - at 9.5 ounces, I would be tempted to stick one of those Esskay's in there too (also on sale, I believe). Not sure about the mounting, but they recommend a brushless AXI with a radial mount, so I imagine you could make that work easily....
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old May 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
This is what I'm pondering, the 400XT and the AXI they recommend are about the same weight, so lets say for sake of argument, same power. If the 400XT is truly in the speed 400 class, wouldn’t that be way overkill for a 9oz foamy? Guess I'm still stuck in the pervious century, but wouldn't this be a speed 280 class model? Do you really think the 400XT has the power of the speed 400?
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old May 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
It probably is on the powerful side for this size model, but right in the description of the motor they state "For lightweight 3D models to 9-1/2 oz. and other airplanes to 16 oz."
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old May 10, 2006, 02:17 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
Well I was adding items to my cart (too darned many) and the sale ended before I checked out! I called them, though and they were happy to go ahead and honor the price.

That is true customer service.

Regarding the Esskay even if it is "too much" power how would it hurt? Just stay off the throttle, right?
Last edited by WarrrEagle!; May 10, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,449 Posts
reno racer..

Here's some shots of the Reno Racer. I wanted something a little hot for the up coming SMALL fun fly and something that would handle some wind. (seems like its always windy at your annual fun fly). Very nice looking. Nice EPP cutting....nice hinge lines....nice painting. Have built a couple of EPP Hackers in the past. Same nice quality and I like the smaller size of this one, 31 inch span. Well be using a AXI 2208/20, 7 x 5e prop. Well let you know how it does. STRINGFLY <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old May 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Sep 2004
13 Posts
don't put the undercarriage on and put the servo in the top of the wing instead of on the bottom,

undercarriage is terrible and it flys better without it

I run it with a 2208/26, 900ma 3 cell lipo and a 8x4 gws prop and its a blast

also when a 2m elec glider runs its over and chucks foam every where, as long as you pick up the pieces and stick it back together, it still flies great.

When you have finished with this get its big brother the super zoom zoom which is even better.

Paul
pdj33 is offline Find More Posts by pdj33
Old May 16, 2006, 06:23 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
pdj33,

Put the aileron servo on the top of the wing? Which RR do you have? The Bandito has the mid wing design so I assume you are talking about one of the others...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 21, 2006, 02:08 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,449 Posts
flying..

Flew my Reno Racer some more today.. Flies great... tracks great in the wind. Wind was 5 to 8 with gust to 10mph. No problems. Handles fine. Pretty fast but not a super rocket or anything. Will knife edge. Nice straight loops and medium fast rolls. Will slow down some with some wind. I like the looks of the landing gear and used it. I just hand tossed for take off though. Great climb out. Im use the axi recommended and prop. I am using a 3 cell 730 pack... like the punch of the 3cell. Flys great at 1/2 throttle. The only mod you have to do is cut a wider engine plywood mount for the axi radial mount ( stock is too narrow). And I used 3mm wide flat carbon for the wing. Not crazy about the soft alu. ones in the kit. Happy with this guy and handles wind great.
STRINGFLY <>+++++
Old May 21, 2006, 07:46 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
String, could you post some detail pics of your electronics install? How did you cut for the battery?

I have one I hope to start on this week.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,449 Posts
radio

Sure..no problem. After getting all the gear in I moved the battery around the wing untill I got the 40mm c/g point, then just cut a smaller hole than the battery for a snug fit. Works fine. I did not bury my esc in the fuselage per the instructions... they get too hot that way. Kept everything on the right side to counter weight prop torque. Reciever as to go pretty far back because of ele. and rudder servo leads. Everything works like a charm.
STRINGFLY <>++++
Old May 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,230 Posts
Subscribe
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old May 26, 2006, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 10:06 PM.