HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2006, 09:17 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Jul 2005
66 Posts
Discussion
DIGIGR8 USB camera on sale at Radio Shack

I saw an add Sunday before last for a USB camera with video capability for $9.99 at Radio Shack (sale goes to 15th of May), so I tracked one down and took it apart. It advertises a Li-Ion battery, but what I found was a 175ma Li-Poly. When I saw that in there, I bought a couple more.

Anyway, I have taken some stills, some video, and it looks crude, but it is color, and I can get either 20sec of "high" res .avi video, and 1 minute 2 seconds of very low res video. $9.99, what the heck. The stills are .jpg, not the best, but again, for the price...

Included in the package is a 3 foot USB extension cord. Also, when it is taken apart, there is a small piezo beeper, that can be wired up to be an underbridge guitar pickup (actually, any piezo can be, just a matter of amplifying the signal, I just did this with a Radio Shack piezo about the same size).

The weight with enough plastic left on to hold the LCD display on and the buttons on was about 15 grams. I haven't taken the piezo off yet, but I suspect that will be worth a few grams, and if I could figure a way to get the metal of the USB connector reduces, perhaps a few more. I will be adding a tiny switch for the shutter button, as it has to be held down for the entire length of the video.

So I figure 20 to 62 secs of video, and if I break it, I've probably still got a 300K pixel camera, a 175ma single cell Li-Poly, a piezo beeper/pickup, and a 3 foot usb extension cable, all for $9.99 plus tax. Not bad!

The plane I was going to use for this crashed unexpectedly so I will have to repair before I get any airborne stuff with it.
agfrag is offline Find More Posts by agfrag
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2006, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Thanks for telling us about it.

I'll try one.
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS