SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2006, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
11 Posts
Discussion
Any flyers in or near Marion, MA?

I'm looking for flyers in or near Marion, Ma. I'm new to the hobby and would like to hook up with some others who are in the area.
Bob M is offline Find More Posts by Bob M
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2006, 06:26 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
Maybe one of these clubs is nearby:

http://towerhobbies.com/rcwairclub.html
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old May 09, 2006, 07:59 PM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
922 Posts
Pioneer Valley Radio Control Club.
is in Westfield Ma, Cabet Rd.
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old May 09, 2006, 08:15 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Click on members. Enter the max. # of miles from you to search. A list of nearby members will be displayed.

This, of course, assumes you bothered to fill in an aprox. latitude and longitude for yourself in your profile, and that they did too. Then, they got it right (downwind1's puts him in the middle of kyrgyzstan.. I didn't even know there was a kyrgyzstan until now!)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 10, 2006, 05:59 AM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
922 Posts
I Tryed changing latitude and longitudeI can't seam to get to work.
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old May 10, 2006, 06:21 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
There is a club in Dartmouth, the cloud dancers, They fly on Hixville Rd. There is a club just over the Westport, MA line in Tiverton, RI called Hiddenbrook R/C (they're full though).

There used to be a club that flew where the Ann and Hope was on Faunce corner rd. They were called Bristol County RC. I don't know where they fly now.

There is another club over in Somerset that flies at the old Nike missle site.

I have heard that a lot of people are flying at the old Fall River airport.

Ofcourse there is the West Bridgewater club that flies next door to the prison.

I hope this helps.

I live in Westport. I usually fly on my lunch break.......I work in Warwick RI though.

It's possible that you could use the soccer fields off of route 6 right in your area, faihaven/marion. I don't remember the name of the field but it is VERY big and should be perfect to learn to fly on. You just have to use it on off hours.

Go to the AMA website. There must be some kind of listing of all the clubs in the area.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old May 10, 2006, 06:32 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind 1
I Tryed changing latitude and longitudeI can't seam to get to work.
http://www.rcgroups.com/pages/latlon/index.php

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Bob M
I live in Middleboro and work in Wareham. If you find a place to fly let me know.
Jim
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old May 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
There's Davis Field in Sudbury...Contact Charles River Radio Controlers
There's Watchusett Barnstormers that fly behind the Gardner Prison.
And another club that flies in Bolton
Also another club that flies behind the dump off Breakneck Rd. in Sturbridge.
I fly at all these sites, and never any hastles.
Also, my absolute favorite...The Orange Airport. They allow glow and electrics on the old abandoned runway in back. Just check in with the Airport Manager. Electrics only on the front lawn.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Im thinking about joining "The Cloud Dancers", who's flying flield is just 4 houses down from my good friends house.

I just wrote an e-mail to the club owner to see what kind of flying they allow, rules and regulations, etc..

Decent little field though. Should be alot of fun, and a good opportunity to meet other rc enthusiests like myself.. and hopefully learn more about the hobby we all love some much!

Just my $0.02 though...

Fun and safe flying
Tim ~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old May 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Tim,

Do they still fly off of Hixville rd?

Rick
Old May 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
Tim,

Do they still fly off of Hixville rd?

Rick
They sure do..

I went there yesterday with a buddy of mine.. (who lives about 4 houses down the road).. to check out the flying field.

It's not very large, but still good enough to do the job.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:36 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
I live on Old Bedford rd a few miles away. I should go check them out.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:39 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
I live on Old Bedford rd a few miles away. I should go check them out.
I was over my buddies house today.. helping him work on his jeep.. (minor restoration project).. and at least one guy was down there flying for a few hours.

I was kinda occupied working on my friends jeep, but I stopped occasionally, to take a look at the different models flying over my head.

I couldn't tell the type of planes they were exactly but, one was a fairly large bipe, another was a "high wing" trainer type.. (but again, fairly large in size).. and the third.. was some type of sporty/aerobatic model.. that somewhat resembled the slowstick, but with the balsa "aileron" wing on it. But man could that thing perform!

...(all "gassers" from what I could tell)...

Anyhow... as long as you have an AMA membership, they're still accepting new members.

As for the moment.. my friend showed me a really nice size cornfield right behind his house today.. (maybe a 2 minute walk down a large walking path, often used by quads). They haven't really done anything with the field this year as of yet. It's just semi-short grass and several acres in size.. (like 4 or 5 football fields in size!!).

Until I "take the plunge" and join the "cloud dancers".. he said I could fly there anytime I wanted to because he knows the owner of that field personally!

The grass is maybe 6 inches tall at the most.. but fine for belly landing most any model.

If you.. (or anyone else in the area).. ever feel like coming down that way to get some flying in.. feel free to PM me and we could set something up.

Fun and safe flying
Tim ~ (TheDustyPagan)
Old Jun 09, 2008, 05:41 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Tim,

I may PM you, as soon as I get some free time and this AWFUL hot and humid weather disappears. Been an AMA member for a long time.

If you do fly at the field near your friends house, check with the guys to make sure you're not on their frequencies..................interferance, crash...ouch : )

I haven't had a chance to fly this season so far.................other than my lunch break during the week.

RMS