HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2006, 05:57 PM
Pickens Raptor R/C Club
Greenville S.C
Joined Mar 2006
44 Posts
Help!
help me figure this out please

ok i have a k&b engine here it is a .40 size and i need to know if it is a ABC engine or not i dont know how to tell but you guys on here have always come through when im in need.so here is the 2 pics i have of it please let me know thanks...
repomann76 is offline Find More Posts by repomann76
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 04:29 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
we realy need pics of the piston and liner not the engine.
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old May 10, 2006, 05:01 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,345 Posts
Remove the muffler and use a small magnet attached to a wire or string to check whether it will be attracted to the piston (or liner) or not. Another way to do it is to remove the head.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
Pickens Raptor R/C Club
Greenville S.C
Joined Mar 2006
44 Posts
ok so if it is attracted to the liner or piston then it is ABC right??
Old May 10, 2006, 06:50 PM
USA, OH, Newport
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
I know

No, it's not an ABC engine. It has a dykes piston ring and steel cylinder. I should know because I have owned 2 of these at one time and rebuilt both of them.
maddmann is offline Find More Posts by maddmann
Old May 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by repomann76
ok so if it is attracted to the liner or piston then it is ABC right??
No, it's just the opposite. ABx (ABC, ABN) engines have a brass sleve and aluminum piston neither of which is magnetic.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,033 Posts
As maddmann said, it's a ringed engine with steel liner. If you remove the muffler you'll see 5 square holes making up the exhaust port. If you look carefully at the far side of the piston you'll see the baffle because it's not a Schneurle type engine. The other give away on that is the single large transfer passage. The K&B 40 I've got is the rear induction version but it's virtually identical to yours apart from that.

The magnet method is good as a check on whether an engine has an iron piston or not because sometimes it's difficult to tell just by looking at the colour. The best magnet I've found is a narrow strip cut off a fridge magnet. Lay it on top of the piston and if it sticks then it's iron. Ringed engines always have an alloy piston so don't bother with a magnet.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old May 11, 2006, 06:00 PM
Pickens Raptor R/C Club
Greenville S.C
Joined Mar 2006
44 Posts
thanks alot guys ya'll always come through...now i know why i started paying more attention to RCG and forgetting about RCU thanks guys..............jody