HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2006, 09:15 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Build Log
Douglass Dauntless at 30" for 5 ch.

OK, the plans are done, parts are in hand, and construction has begun

After Flying the Rittinger designed Dauntless with J-Best I decided that since Marks design flew so well, that it might be fun to try a smaller one -- just to see what would happen.

Since low wing models really need ailerons, this one will have them, and since I decided to go with the GWS PICO retracts, a rudder was in order too. And, since the ailerons are done in scale outline, there's a pretty good chance they will exhibit a bit of adverse yaw, so the rudder would come in handy anyway.

The model is laid out with a 30" span, and 185 sq. in. I'm looking at the Maxx Products EPU-2828 S-280 drive unit with an 8-6 prop and an 880 3 cell battery. But, there's also a ton of good brushless stuff out there that would work great too. Target weight is around 14 oz.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2006, 09:18 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Framing Begins with the Fuselage

The fuselage is built around a trussed box frame with quarter formers. The basic side frame is built up from one laser cur part, 1/8 sq. longerons, and 1/16 X 1/8 vertical braces.
Old May 09, 2006, 09:20 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Joining the Side Frames

The side frames are joined using 1/16 X 1/8 balsa crosspieces.
Old May 09, 2006, 09:23 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Adding the Outer Formers

The fuselage will be rounded out using formers and stringers. The formers are in place now, with the next step to get the 1/16 sq. and 1/16 X 1/8 balsa stringers glued in place. Will post up the results as soon as it's all together.

PAT
Old May 09, 2006, 09:59 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
SWEEEEEEET! Great build choice Pat, and I'm sure it's going to fly really nice!

Is this the "real surprise" or is something even more surprising waiting in the wings?

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old May 09, 2006, 11:59 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,657 Posts
Pat,

Just couldn't wait huh? Drop off the parts yesterday and here's the fuse already framed up.

Should look and fly great. Don't forget the twin .50's in the back!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 09, 2006, 12:22 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,639 Posts
Whether or not it is the "real surprise," it knocked my socks off. Subscribed and looking forward to more!

Going to work "sockless"

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 09, 2006, 02:45 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Neat subject with a compact wingspan, keep it coming.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old May 09, 2006, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Picky

Looks good!
By the way, it's one S on the Douglas, and twin .50's were too heavy, so it was twin .30's. (Friend & co-worker Les McKinley was a back-seater with the "Cactus Airforce", at Henderson field, back in '42). Usually, Les referred to the SBD's as "Slow, but Deadly", or just "Speedy Bombers".
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old May 09, 2006, 08:46 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Finishing the Fuselage

Adding the stringers was next in line with the fuselage. The wing mount arrangement was boxed in next, the the whole assembly lightly sanded to know down the bumps.
Old May 09, 2006, 08:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Roughing In the Wing Fillett

The wing fillett is such a dominant feature on the Dauntless that it just can't be fudged. The good news is that it's so big that it's not hard to do. The aft section was built up from balsa and glued in behind the wing mount. The forward sections are 1/64 ply. The side formers won't go in until after the frame is covered.
Old May 09, 2006, 08:54 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Starting On the Wings

The front and rear wing spar assemblies are built up from 4 sections each -- 3 parts to the spar, with a center section doubler. Since this one is set up with the landing gear, a little extra strength in the middle sure won't hurt.

The main spar sections were glued together with Cya, then the doublers laminated with White glue and weighted with lead ingots for a couple hours to dry. The aileron spars and spar caps were done the same way.
Old May 09, 2006, 08:55 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,533 Posts
Looking great Pat! I always enjoy looking over your shoulder with these build threads.

Brushless is obviously desirable but if you are considerig a geared 280 brushed, think about the lowly j-250 motor as an alternative. The power will be closer to a 370 but it weighs less than the 280. I use it geared 4:1 with a 7x6 prop and 2s battery and it draws between 5-6 amps WOT on the bench. I have this setup in the Herr 35" breezy day cub as well as a Guillows Stearman conversion and it works great, with power to spare.

Phil

PS you might consider a GWS setup because the gearboxes are a little better, IMO.
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old May 09, 2006, 08:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Framing the Center Section

The wing center section was framed over the plans. The spar/rib assembly "egg crates" together so alignment is easy, and the assembly goes together quickly. The bolt plate, trailing edge and leading edge were glued in next. The outer panels will be built on the plans, one at a time with the other end blocked up.

The bowed outlines for the wingtips, stab tips, rudder tip and dorsal fin were formed up while the glue dried elsewhere.

PAT
Old May 09, 2006, 09:05 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Sky, This is one of them. A little out of character, I know, but seamed like the time was right to slip in a Warbird.

PJ, As long as you have to walk around barefoot, at least it's not dead of winter! Good timing.

Lancer, Sorry about the spelling goofs. Unfortunately, spelling has always been a struggle, and without Spellcheck I'd be in more trouble that you'll ever know!

PAT