SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2006, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
Question
Dock Boxes?

Idle curiosity, what sort of container do you use(or suggest to a newbie) to haul your support stuff(spare props, allen wrenches, spare batt packs, etc.) to the dock? was thinking that a tackle box might work.
thanks
Rex
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 08:42 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,344 Posts
A tackle box would work nicely. I use a duffle (or sports) bag.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 09, 2006, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
thats good to hear, now to get one that isn't full of 50+ yr old 'tackle'. heheh next up what to put in it(or perhaps more accurately what not to) I think I can leave the kitchen sink out as well as the hammer and churchkey...
Old May 09, 2006, 12:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,344 Posts
I assume you are referring to an electric motor powered boat?

Allen wrenches
Ignition sized open end wrenches - metric and standard
Screwdrivers - slotted and cross
Needle nose pliers
Slip-joint pliers
Tweezers
Electrical tape
Hatch tape
Scissors
Pocket knife
Extra Batteries for Tx and Rx (if Rx requires battery)
Extra Batteries for esc and motor
Extra radio crystals if you run with others
Spare props
Spare prop nuts
Loctite
CA glues
Files (for sharpening prop)
Velcro strips
Rubber bands
Tie-wraps
Cable/Shaft grease
Spare motor
Paper towels/rags
Hat, sunglasses, sunblock, bottle of water

That should get you started.
Old May 09, 2006, 01:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
electric yes. thats more or less whats on my list(was planning on a timer that and a 50cc syringe for purging the cooling sys.). knuckle-busters yep needed one last time I was out. bandages might be handy. well 1st things 1st(and all that) gotta get a box(considering your list, a tardis might be a better choice ) thanks for the suggestions
Old May 09, 2006, 08:02 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Look at the "boat boxes" thread for some more ideas.

Here's what I carry in the box: charger; towels or chamois; peel & stick lead weights; allen wrenches; crescent wrench; screw drivers; knife; electrical and radio box tape; measuring tape; wire cutter; jumper wires; fuel bulb or turkey baster for dewatering; fuses; CA; water displacing compound; penlight; and props.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; May 09, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 09, 2006, 08:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
80 Posts
Ditty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
Idle curiosity, what sort of container do you use(or suggest to a newbie) to haul your support stuff(spare props, allen wrenches, spare batt packs, etc.) to the dock? was thinking that a tackle box might work.
thanks
Rex
I like a tackle box for my ditty box.
There's many sizes to chose from, which makes getting the one that fits your needs easier.
I try to stay as small as I can size wise, but big enough to fill the need for what I'm sailing or running.

So I have more than one ditty box...One for Power and one for Sail...keeps them small and easier to find stuff.

I do the same thing for fishing...Striper Box, B.Bass Box, etc...that's where I got the idea.
bill II is offline Find More Posts by bill II
Old May 09, 2006, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Rex, most of the tackle boxes sold in this area are made by Plano. I'd recommend one made by Flambeau, because it's organization is better suited for what we do, i.e., transmitter in top shelf, etc.
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Old May 09, 2006, 11:04 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
Granted, I'm not very well organized but I usually take a small back pack with some of the essentials that Kmot listed- with the back pack, I can put it on and forget about it... follow my boats, wherever they go- I used to use a tackle box- certainly better in most ways but I always worried about it 'walking away' while I was busy playing....
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 09, 2006, 11:29 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,287 Posts
I keep a red/grey three drawer tackle box. The top opens for miscellaneous patching supplies, ammo, the drawers carry tools, lead weights, wiring and batteries.

Some of the other members bring much bigger boxes...
These larger boxes contain 2-4 boats, the red/grey three drawer tool boxes(or two), fiberglass islands, rescue boat, trolling motor, one to two deep cycle marine batteries to run inverters that run charging stations and overhead lights(to work at night), tent poles, 8 foot tables, bbq's, coolers, 20lb co2 tanks,...

I have seen jigsaws, 110v welders, electric drills and dremels, and enough material come out of these trailiers to build a boat AT the pond!
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; May 09, 2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 09, 2006, 11:35 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,344 Posts
Quote:
The top opens for miscellaneous patching supplies, ammo,
Wow! RC boating is rough up there in the NW eh?
Old May 09, 2006, 12:12 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Wow! RC boating is rough up there in the NW eh?
Yeah it can be,...
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 09, 2006, 04:24 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
to carry my Gemini, (Graupner Neptun), I have a crate made from 1/2" thick pine, which is sectionalized to hold 1 boat, 1tx, 1 charger, and some ni-cads. good protection for the model, though the down side is, it I would not be surprised if it weighs close on 45lbs!

to carry the spares that I may need, i have a plastic tool box or silver alloy case that is sectioned, however my tools are limited at the moment.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old May 09, 2006, 05:09 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I've seen very lightweight, very tough 'carry' boxes for planes and cars made with Coroplast (corrugated plastic) which you can get at sign shops or wait until Election season is over then there seems to be a surplus of the stuff! It bends with a heat gun, it can be sewn, hot-glued, punched and thonged, taped, etc. Very good for simple box shapes and weighs a fraction of plywood.

I use softsided cases myself (duffle or slip cover) and stiff compression foam (mattresses and such are made of) cut to fit the shape of the item inside it (found at just about any fabric or . I leave a good amout of 'leftover' space for bumps and bangs and it works well. I just make sure nothing can 'crush' anything in it. This is a pretty lightweight solution since the foam is mostly air.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old May 09, 2006, 07:44 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,586 Posts
The idea is to make only one trip from the car to the pond not keep going back and forth. http://www.stanleytools.com/default....t+Front+Pocket

If you going to do it, do it right the first time.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat