HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2002, 04:48 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Need help with motor overheating!

As you may have read in another post, I am having trouble with my Eco-8. I have the Phasor 30/3, 40-3P controller, 23 tooth pinion, stock blades, 10 cell 2400 MaH pack. The motor is getting HOT. It causes pain to touch, and in the last flight, I could kinda smell somthing funny (and it wasn't my own odor for once) Why is this. Many people have used this same setup with nothing but god to say about it. I am only hovering the thing for now, nuthin fancy. Is there any heatsinks that I can buy for it? Anything else I can do to lower the temp?

Maybe I am too sensitive about the motor heat, how hot can they get??
rdogg32 is online now Find More Posts by rdogg32
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2002, 05:17 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Hello

What is your pitch and throttle curve?

Try setting it up so that is hovers at a higher throttle setting and a lower pitch.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jul 13, 2002, 05:20 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Hmmm... That sounds like it may work. The motor would be doing less work, more rpms. I take a look at the curves (again!) and try that out.
Old Jul 13, 2002, 09:12 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Well, Just got done flying again, and the motor was very hot again. The air temp has dropped below 80, and the sun is no longer out, so I am needing to look for other reasons. I will try to edit the curves again. Could dropping to a 22 tooth pinion help at all? I thought that elevation may matter, I am at 3500 feet. Could my headspeed be to high? It was nearing 1550? hmmm....
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:05 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Hello

How hot exactily is your motor getting? It is normal for a motor to get warm after a flight, but if your motor is getting so hot that if you spit on it and the spit sizzles, then something is wrong.

Just let it cool to ambient temp(takes maybe 10 mins) and fly, dont worry about the temp unless it is really, really hot.

I think I know the smell you are refering too. My Aveox put out the worst motor smells(it know is is not just limited to mine every one I have encountered has the "Aveox motor smell" after a flight). My Mega had its own smell too. My Hacker(B50-11L) doent smell at all after flights but it never gets hot.

Oh, 1500 is not that high, I'd say that it is a good HS. I run mine over 1600, and sometimes at 1900 but only for a little. The cyclic and climb rate is plain awsome.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:38 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Spit Sizzles...

Well, I haven't chucked a lugi on my motor latley, but I don't think that it gets so hot that it would sizzle the spit. The smell isn't that bad, but I guess that I am a worry wort. Smell are just ussually a bad thing, but if it won't damage my motor, then I guess I shouldn't worry. I am done flying today, but am going to take it out tomorrow, and I will a drop or two of water on the motor after the flight.

The headspeed just before take off was about 1700!, but then the pack died a little, and that sank to about 1600. I realize that isn't too much, but for the motor combo in the heli I expected a little less. I think I should throw a little more pitch in there, cause I don't have the climbing power that I expect.

OK, now to make an ass out of myself: Is it pronounces Eeeko, or more like Echo?
Last edited by rdogg32; Jul 13, 2002 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:54 PM