HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2001, 02:35 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,835 Posts
Electric Jet Factory P-80 flight

Did the 1st flight of the P-80 today.It went great. Two flights total 1st one we left the gear down, 2nd they were retracted and it jump in speed. 1st flight was with 20 cells (2400 ma zapped) nice flight but we knew the plane could do more. Next flight was at 24 cells. This plane is on rails. Using HW 750 and Aveox 1415/2Y. This plane cooked. Total flying weight is 11.5 lbs. Video should be up at Electric Jet Factory web page by the end of Sunday night.Kit should avaiable soon.
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2001, 03:28 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Go Bob Go! Two test flights in one day; great accomplishment! . What was the current and controller make in each setup? I was under the impression that the 14XX Aveox was not enough motor (thermal mass wise) for the HW-750 fan. Do you have confidence in the longevity of this setup?

In any case, don't let anything happen to either model before the AZ Jet Rally

V/R

Steve Manganelli AKA Prof. Maneuver
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
Old Sep 09, 2001, 09:41 AM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Congratulations Robert and Bruff.

I have been waiting impatiently along with many others for an EDF to fly with the HW 750 fan. Great job!!!

I am also interested in what the current draw was on the system with 24 cells. One plus for the 1415 2Y is it's relatively high Kv of 1190, so you were definitely getting the rpms off the charger on 24 cells.

I am also interested in what you did to get rid of the interference that you had on the first attempts.

So with an overall weight of 11.5 pounds you probably had 74 ozs of propulsion/battery system, 18 ozs of radio/ servos/ retracts, and an empty airframe at 91.9 ozs or 5.74 lbs. Sounds very doable.

I guess a trip to the AZ jet rally will be inevitable this year.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Sep 09, 2001, 05:15 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,802 Posts
WOW ! great to hear you guys finally got the chance to fly the p-80.

what would you say the amp draw in flight was, and what was your throttle setting during the majority of the flight. ??

congratulations
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:28 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,835 Posts
I know the current draw is about 58 AMPs. We are going to try a 1415/3Y to get the current down to more reasonable level. It was a great flight. The HW 750 sounds like a mini-turbine. It was great.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 10:48 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Bruff- What are the dates on the AZ jet rally? Are you CD this year?

Gordon
Old Sep 12, 2001, 12:51 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Way to go Bruff! I also tested today. Maidened the Bullet and the twin BD-5. Both went great. Glad to see someone else got out there today.
Steve Neill
Old Sep 12, 2001, 09:17 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Video?

Is the video up yet? I looked all over the EJF site and couldn't find it. I'm very interested in seeing (and hearing) that P-80 and F-86.
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Sep 12, 2001, 10:52 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,835 Posts
Video

Robert has been sick (flu) once he gets well the video will be up.
Old Sep 14, 2001, 11:01 AM
Braunton, North Devon, England
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Bruff:

Any updates on the 1415/3Y?

Will you use more cells (is there room for more?)

Cheers

Gordon W
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Sep 14, 2001, 12:08 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,835 Posts
Motor test

No have not tried the 1415/3Y. planning on 30 cells. Therer is roon for them, but first just got a HAcker motor to try B50 13 XL. It has the same KV as the 1415/2Y. Should have it mounted this weekend.
Bob Ruff
Old Sep 15, 2001, 08:32 AM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
All right!!!! Check these out from Robert EJF. Real player video clips.

Links edited out. Go to http://www.electricjetfactory.com/ for video clips.

Great job. Get hot for those big EDF's.

Gordon
Last edited by Plane Crazy; Sep 28, 2001 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 12:38 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Awesome!

Those are awesome! They do sound much more like a turbine than the MF480 and Kyosho fan sized planes. What is the wingspan on the P-80? It looks to be nearly the same size as .91 glow powered DFs. Too cool!

Keith
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Sep 15, 2001, 02:28 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Man I hate realplayer. I downloaded the video and watched it and wanted to watch it again, so I hit play and it started downloading again! And it seems you have to buy the better version of realplayer in order to resize the video to a larger size. Realplayer sucks. Can someone convince Robert to post the video as at least an MPEG1 file? MPEGs are near universal, nearly any PC built in the past few years can play MPEG1 movies it's not a proprietary format that I have to pay for so see what's going on, and MPEG 1 software doesn't monitor my surfing habits and report back to a server what products I might be interested in (that's called Spyware).

I know Robert probably doesnt' have a lot of server space because he's probably renting the space, but boy it'd be nice to get some MPEG 2 video posted of these jets. My Matrox All In Wonder Radeon captures some nice video in MPEG2 format, but the size does get rather large. But hey, I've got a cable modem!

OK, I'll stop whining now, some people in this country have some much more legitimate things to cry about. Whew, what a week.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Sep 15, 2001, 02:55 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Ed- You have to save the link(file) to your hard drive. Then you can open up the file with Real Player. Then you can play the clips over and over and over like I did. The real player format has the advantage of getting the clip files pretty small. I was able to compress a 2 minute video clip that was 30 megs down to 1.3 megs.

Gordon