HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2006, 12:56 AM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
Question
!OT!- WAY OT!!!!! Poison Oak

So I crashed my wing at Davenport two days ago. I hiked through waist deep thorn bushes and poison oak. I was wearing shorts and ankle high running socks. I have more *new* stuff on my legs than hair! Anyone want to see a photo of what my sticks look like from the knees down?

Matt
Sor Thum is offline Find More Posts by Sor Thum
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 01:02 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Ahh, the Davenport badge of honor! Congrats!

I abandoned one of my homebrews there once because it landed softly right in the middle of a big ole' ugly bush of the stuff. Good find for whoever eventually grabbed it...charge the battery and fly!
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old May 08, 2006, 01:31 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
I just endured two weeks of living with a PO rash from a mtn bike ride. Must ... resist ... temptation ... to scratch!!!

If it gets really bad, see your Doc and get a prescription for an oral steroid like Prednisone. It'll cut the rash in no time. Tecnu seems to work for getting rid of the oil off your skin if you can figure out where it is.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old May 08, 2006, 01:44 AM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Ahh, the Davenport badge of honor! Congrats!

I abandoned one of my homebrews there once because it landed softly right in the middle of a big ole' ugly bush of the stuff. Good find for whoever eventually grabbed it...charge the battery and fly!
When was this? I'm already infected, maybe I'll go back out!..... kidding!

Matt
Old May 08, 2006, 01:46 AM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
I just endured two weeks of living with a PO rash from a mtn bike ride. Must ... resist ... temptation ... to scratch!!!

If it gets really bad, see your Doc and get a prescription for an oral steroid like Prednisone. It'll cut the rash in no time. Tecnu seems to work for getting rid of the oil off your skin if you can figure out where it is.

Lance
Too late for the Tecnu! I'm working on the Prednisone and not scratching!

Matt

PS- On a nasty side note, I have one swollen lumpy thing behind both knees that are starting to ooze!! Yummy!
Old May 08, 2006, 01:48 AM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
My problem is 50% poison oak and 50% damage from the thorny bushes! It looks like I pissed off a group of short cats.

Matt
Old May 08, 2006, 03:14 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,172 Posts
Ah man, that sucks but has to happen sometimes. We have Blackberry bushes out the kazzu out here. Will tear you up in no time...
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2006, 08:40 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Sorry about the oak Matt. Davenport is full of it. I dont catch poison oak, never have. Beats me why. Ive waided thru that stuff many, many times, never got a dose. One time after a waist deep encounter, my wife got it off my clothes, really bad, I of course got nothing. Hope you heal up soon. Watch where you crash next time buddy!!
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old May 08, 2006, 11:31 AM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
Recoveries sometimes can be a bitch (been there done that) but when you thought it couldn't get any worse, POISON OAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prescription- lots and lots of beer and calamine lotion.
Hope you feel better soon.

Joe
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old May 08, 2006, 11:45 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,225 Posts
A great tip to relieve the itching that I used during my last outbreak: Wash the affected areas with very very hot water - as hot as you can stand without burning. At first the itching will get unbearably bad as your body releases histamine (which causes the itching). After about 10 seconds, the itching will start to diminish. Keep the heat on for few minutes, and you won't itch for the next 8 hours or so. I did this twice a day for a week and it helped tremendously.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old May 08, 2006, 12:08 PM
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined May 2002
221 Posts
Poison Oak Info

I can sympathize. For the past 5 years I have ended up with a rash after attending the ISR. When you're landing/crashing into Ice plant that is laced with Poison Oak for 3 day staight, its hard to avoid.

Here a link to a site with good info on Poison Oak.
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/welcome.html

Take note on how long the oil remains active, 1-5 years!

Mike
slopejocky is offline Find More Posts by slopejocky
Old May 08, 2006, 12:08 PM
Dave Massongill
yucaipa, ca
Joined Dec 2003
1,354 Posts
Sorry to hear about your poison oak but that sounds like a picnic compared to the Lyme disease i picked up four years ago while sloping. Its been a long tough and tiring road!!!! All this to say you have no business wearing shorts to slope . The risk is TOO Great.

Dave M
masson74 is offline Find More Posts by masson74
Old May 08, 2006, 12:14 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sor Thum
So I crashed my wing at Davenport two days ago. I hiked through waist deep thorn bushes and poison oak. I was wearing shorts and ankle high running socks. I have more *new* stuff on my legs than hair! Anyone want to see a photo of what my sticks look like from the knees down?

Matt
Heck yes! pix are good for showing people why to make certain they avoid poison oak.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old May 08, 2006, 12:26 PM
Fizzy lifting drinks BRRP
Livermore
Joined Mar 2006
95 Posts
Damn Matt...

What day were you out there? I went to Del Valle Saturday and it was an epic day. There were about 20 different people there flying plus many spectators. There was always at least 4 or 5 ships in the air. I flew my M60 for atleast 2.5 hours and i had to throw the Alula out just to see how it would do in that kind of lift. It actually flew very similar to when there is almost no lift. I couldn't beleive it. The wind was ony 7 to 10 MPH but the lift was just insane. My M60 unballasted is like 31 oz. I was flying half ballasted and then fully ballasted. I was all over the valley. It was so much fun. After hearing about you PO it kinda makes dealing with the Del Valle tics seem like fun.

I guess I am posting this just to rub a little salt in the old wounds brotha. LOL.

Talk to ya soon,

Mike
splitesse is offline Find More Posts by splitesse
Old May 08, 2006, 01:25 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masson74
Sorry to hear about your poison oak but that sounds like a picnic compared to the Lyme disease i picked up four years ago while sloping. Its been a long tough and tiring road!!!! All this to say you have no business wearing shorts to slope . The risk is TOO Great.

Dave M
Dave,

Has Lyme made it to California? If so, thanks for the warning. We seem to have lots of ticks and PO around our slopes this year.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin