HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2006, 11:47 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
661 Posts
Discussion
What is the most crash proof 3D plane?

My son built his first 3d plane (E-flight ultimate)and after one weekend of flying it is almost totaled. What is the most crash proof cheap 3d plane? Thanks for any help.
Dave K is online now Find More Posts by Dave K
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 12:25 AM
dst
Santa Clara
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
The "most indestructible" plane has disadvantages. I saw one that was probably indestructible but it looked and flew like a rubber band. It would not be much fun to fly. I think the most elastic 3D plane that still flys real well is the SloFly Mini. It is all epp and can really take a beating. Epp can tear but it is easily glued back together and the all new epp is only about $12.

dt
dst is offline Find More Posts by dst
Last edited by dst; May 08, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old May 08, 2006, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old May 08, 2006, 12:48 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Take a look at the Revolution 3D. Or if you're looking for something smaller then try the Mini R3D
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old May 08, 2006, 05:05 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Feb 2005
47 Posts
TufFlight 4D-lite

Take a look at this, make sure you see the videos:
http://www.tufflight.com/4d_lite.html
caf2461 is offline Find More Posts by caf2461
Old May 12, 2006, 07:13 AM
Louisville KY
Joined Oct 2004
1,069 Posts
I've been learning 3D with an Ultrafly Radix bipe. It's wing loading is under 3 ounces but it is very stiff because it uses carbon rod bracing and the fuselage is a box section. It is a kit and construction skill level was not beginner, at least to get it right. I do have some recommended mods.

Mine has the new Komodo 287 motor w APC 11x4.7 and will hover till the battery droops and only get comfortably warm. The plane is strong enough to go to full up elevator from a full throttle, full aileron, straight down spin, and stiff enough to do it very abruptly. I've started to get the hang of knife edges and am starting to toy with inverted. The low wing loading makes it possible to fly in a very small area once the basics are learned.

It's not truely indestructable. I recommend reinforcing the fuselage from the motor bulkhead to a few inches behind the trailing edge. I also attached the wing bracing rods by pushing them through 1"x1" pads of a thin and light reinforcing mat, these have yet to fail. The plane has in the neighborhood of 15 hours in the air, based on the number of times I've discharged 3 to 5 lipos. The motor draws a max of about 6 amps and it flys well with a 3s 800 mAh.

After a few repairs it's weight is still only 7.7 ounces minus battery. It's worst damage was when I went flying at 6:30 AM after staying up until 2:00 AM to watch Storm of the Century from beginning to end. I forgot to switch the direction of the ailerons. The plane flys so slow that I can usually recover enough from many situations to crash on it's belly. The landing gear is suprising tough although there is another simple mod I would recommend to keep the struts from splaying.
podavis is offline Find More Posts by podavis
Old May 12, 2006, 08:28 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,555 Posts
I vote for the SX series from http://www.funplanes.com/.

Have an SX-3 with one years very hard use and it still flys fantastic. You can do stuff with this plane that will amaze you. The huge rudder allows for some easy knife edge loops and flat turns. Mine is powered by a $20 400XT from Hobby-Lobby. Batteries are 880's from Dymond. 10X6 HD prop.

Notice they are introducing an SX-4 and an indoor version. Highly recommend any of their (Yasito) designs.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old May 12, 2006, 09:41 AM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
The electrifly U-CAN-DO 3D EP flightflex is A good plane. I have one it flys relly good and Its not to hard to fly and its rell tuf. At $64.99 the price is not bad

Mine uses A himax 2812-0850 outrunner motor and its $63.95 at maxxprod.com
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old May 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I will second Ron and say the Funplanes are pretty tough, tought myself how to fly 3D (if that is what you can call what I do) with one of there Yak's. Very tough plane.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old May 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I will second Ron and say the Funplanes are pretty tough, tought myself how to fly 3D (if that is what you can call what I do) with one of there Yak's. Very tough plane.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old May 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
There is no such thing as a crash-proof plane.. Maybe damage-resistant, but nothing is going to keep a bad pilot from crashing. IMO, the most damage-resistant plane is a simulator. I do 99% of my crashing there specifically to learn how to not crash at the field.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old May 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
What is the most crash proof 3D?

And the smart @&# answer of the day is: One that is flown by a good pilot.

Serious answer is:EPP, as DT suggested, look at the planes on Slofly.com

Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old May 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2005
51 Posts
The revolution is a good plane, not sure the 4d is all that much different and 4d these days means a varible pitch prop. I am not sure I like the stick motor mount in the 4d, but would have to see the details. Both of these planes and most 3d type are what is called close coupled. Simply the control surfaces are very close to each other. They are on the twitchy side and they need to be to fly 3d. Yes they can be tamed down, at least at some throttle settings. As long as you understand this going in you will have no trouble, do pay CLOSE attention to the balance point. I like the way the Rev flys, as for durability, well I was flying the other day in condition that were on the border as fa as wind was concered. A large gust came up and was simply taking the plane away, I applied full power and down, it was now pointed directly at me and still going away, but was comming down. I chopped the throttle about 1 second before it landed on the roof of the school (I thought). I was wondering how I was going to get on the roof 20 to 25' as I walked over and feeling a little lucky that I at least knew where it was, when I spotted the plane on the sidewalk of the backside of the building.
Best case is it fell unpowerd from 20' onto a sidewalk. There was a small tear where the prop caught the foam, and that was all. It simply is a very durable plane, I doubt any plane is unbreakable, but I can assure you this one will take punishment. I did stick with silica based glue as it provides some flex, unlike CA whick seems to create a stress point, I could quibble about some of the construction, but what is the point. It works. It will not win any beauty contest, it will fly long after most are in the trash bin. It is expensive at least initally (but then again I would have destroyed three or four flat jobs by now). I had a U-CANDOO, it is not even close, though may appear similar, it tore the entire fus off the wing on a landing I would barely call rough. I have heard the mini is less stable, so probably would not be a great first choice. Sure looks like fun though....
RandySim is offline Find More Posts by RandySim
Old May 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2005
119 Posts
I have crashed my R3d many many times and although it its heavier from tape and a little glue It still flys fine. If you get one It is a good idea to reinforce the nose with some strapping tape if you have trouble keeping the nose out of the ground.
Dastrooper is offline Find More Posts by Dastrooper
Old May 21, 2006, 09:03 AM
EPP Killer
Huntsville, TX
Joined Mar 2006
274 Posts
I agree on the R3D, I am learning low altitude 3 D now and it has eaten dirt more times than I would like to admit...but I just walk over to it, put the prop back on the prop saver and let her rip again. Also, this plane is stable at low speeds and when I get in trouble, I usually cut the throttle and let it land. I was not a big fan of these epp planes at first, but now I see why they are so popular.

good luck in your decision.
RC-newbie is offline Find More Posts by RC-newbie