Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2006, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2006
802 Posts
Discussion
jetco thermic 72?

Hi Folks,
New to the group and to the hobby here. I had built a Thermic C when I was a kid and now am reviving the hobby...

Not even sure if this is the right forum category for this query:

I'm interested in the new Thermic 72's from either Tom Martin or Sky Bench. I believe they are both "Short Kits" (not sure even what that means - is it that large pieces are not included?)

What are the pro's and con's of either? I am interested of course in flying this thing with RC, perferably handlaunch if that is even possible.
Any thoughts or advice?

Regards,
Sanders
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2006, 03:11 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Sanders -

You should probably have this thread moved over the general Sailplane Talk forum. A Thermic really doesn't have much in common with the slope sailplanes we generally fly (or discuss).

Tom Martin and Sky Bench both produce quality kits, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. A short kits generally means that all the major parts like ribs and bulkheads are included, but strip wood, sheeting and general hardware are not.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old May 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
try Thermal forum.

Some notes on TMRC Thermic kit in that forum. Good kit, nice laser cutting. I've started a Thermic, but temporarily on hold while I finsh a few other birds. These early Thermics came in pod/boom and full fuse versions. 72" Thermic I bought from TMRC is a pod/boom style- great classic shapes on this thing, which is why I wanted to build and fly it. RC modifications not shown on plan- plan is a copy of original. But those mods should be fairly easy. Plenty of room for gear in pod.

It is a "short kit"- these days "short kit" seems to mean a kit of all the curvy bits already cut for you; wing ribs, wing tips, rudder tips, fuse bulkheads, etc.. But it does vary from kitter to kitter- so it pays to check with the kitter. (Ray/Skybench and Tom/TMRC are both helpful and reachable via email.) The Thermic 72 from Tom includes things like spar and tapered boom- quite a bit of nice wood included in kit.

Not sure of handlaunching the Thermic- I'm no expert there. There are better performance oriented handlaunch gliders out there- check handlaucnch forum. I plan to slope mine on lazy light days and probably give it a hi-start launch on occaison. (If you are looking into a built up glider and might want to try discus launch- take a look at the Gambler.)

cheers
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Last edited by wingbeat; May 07, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,910 Posts
Use a 100' kite string towline, and I suspect theres instructions on the plans for a drop-off sub rudder. You set it up for a left hand turn, and trim the drop-off rudder to cancel it out. Have a friend run a few steps with you, and the plane will fly right out of his hand, and will be over your head in about 2 seconds. Stop running and the towline drops off the towhook, and pulls the drop-off rudder off as well. The plane will go into a left hand pattern. You'll love towline, its a kick. Theres still quite a few towline kits around.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old May 10, 2006, 11:29 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Use a 100' kite string towline, and I suspect theres instructions on the plans for a drop-off sub rudder. You set it up for a left hand turn, and trim the drop-off rudder to cancel it out. Have a friend run a few steps with you, and the plane will fly right out of his hand, and will be over your head in about 2 seconds. Stop running and the towline drops off the towhook, and pulls the drop-off rudder off as well. The plane will go into a left hand pattern. You'll love towline, its a kick. Theres still quite a few towline kits around.
YES! I used to fly the hell out of a Thermik 36 back in the 70s. Ah the simple days!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old May 10, 2006, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,910 Posts
Thermic 50 myself, but I had a Thermic C for a while as well when I was around 8 or so. The 50 lasted a whole summer and really flew. I also built all the Thermic B, 18's, Darts, etc. My local hobby shop in Santa Rosa CA had Jetco Kits up till the late 70's. I still have a few Jetco decals.
I have all the plans for the 100, 72, the X's,Troopers,etc. I came into a few bucks and bought every plan I wanted from John Pond back in the 90'd before he died.
I really want to build the 100 and fly it FF.... Butyrate Dope, Silkspan, Amberoid, DT's. Remember trying to teach someone who'd never towed before? Having a my neck make a "pop" as I tried to look up and over my shoulder at the same time?...Simple cheap fun. My 50 bit the big one when it wrapped around a light pole going downwind one afternoon back in 1977 or so. I found the horizontal stab recently while going through a box of stuff.......

We now return you to your regularly scheduled slope chatter.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old May 11, 2006, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2006
802 Posts
yes! that is what got me back into this all: recalling my tribulation with a thermic C when i was a kid. i covered it with the paper and dope and it all warped up. i tried to fly it but it was too tweeked i guess. And that's about the same time i discovered gurls...
so I notice the price diff between skybench's and tom martin's thermic 72 (about $30). any experience with either?
It may be a moot point, as it seem I should probably go with the thermic 100 which only skybench makes.
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo