Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 06, 2006, 06:26 PM
All bozos on this bus
Glens Falls, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2001
119 Posts
Question
lightweight fabric covering?

I'm in the planning stages of converting a Herr 35" span J-3 Cub to e-power. I really dislike the look of shiny plastic covering and am looking for a reasonably light fabric covering. It would be really nice if someone had a table of weights for common covering materials. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sam
mudhead is offline Find More Posts by mudhead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2006, 07:49 PM
McClintock on rcu
Brighton, Massachusetts
Joined Jul 2004
279 Posts
thaisilks has good prices on silk, I got some 5 and some 4.5 momme, I think the conversion is 8mm is one oz per square yard.. They have some 3mm too, search for 'gauze' I think sig's light silk must be 3mm.. Sig's silk looks a little better though, it should, for costing several times as much.

The great thing about silk for electrics is you can use the easy-to-use nitrate dope since no fuel proofing worries.

I've got a graupner cub that I'm thinking of covering in silk, just to see what happens..
Might use future floor wax as dope..
jaeder is offline Find More Posts by jaeder
Old May 06, 2006, 08:29 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Litespan is about 1 ounce a square yard and isnt shiny,but does look like tissue.Your other option is superfabric from Hobby Lobby.It weighs 2.75 ounces a square yd.Since a yard is 36x36.you should only need about 1/2 to 3/4 yard of covering so it shouldnt add that much due to the size of your plane.Your other option is like Jaeder described
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old May 07, 2006, 03:26 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9LIVES1968
Litespan is about 1 ounce a square yard and isnt shiny,but does look like tissue.
Sam,

I'll go with the Litespan suggestion - I use it all the time for small scale models! One side is matt, whilst the other has a slight sheen. Either side can be used. It isn't self-adhesive, so you'll need to add a smear of Balsaloc adhesive to the airframe before applying the Litespan itself. Heat from the iron activates the glue and shrinks the Litespan.

Incidentally, the lads in the Electric Scale forum seem to be the experts at this sort of stuff;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 07, 2006, 03:31 AM
All bozos on this bus
Joined Apr 2001
119 Posts
I like the litespan idea. It should be fairly simple to work with and the price should be right. Now, does anyone know where I can purchase it? Thank you most kindly

Sam
Old May 07, 2006, 05:36 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,424 Posts
After using Litespan for my first electric conversion, I've completely recovered it in Solarfilm because of all the rips and tears it was getting from landing in rough grass . I know I should learn how to hit the runway each time but Litespan's relative fragility is something to bear in mind if you're not flying from an ideal site.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 07, 2006, 07:26 AM
All bozos on this bus
Joined Apr 2001
119 Posts
Thanks for all your replies but especially abenn. I fly in hay fields full of nasty stuff. May have to rethink the Litespan. Thanks again.

Sam