HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pburress, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2006, 10:22 PM
Angels Camp, California
Joined Jan 2006
920 Posts
Wow!

Nice fleet! You not only have support from your wife. She even builds. I hope she flies too.
LannyG is offline Find More Posts by LannyG
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:51 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Latest Addition

Bellanca Skyrocket, from the Flyline Models kit
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,039 Posts
Maggie

Beautiful bmjr Miles Magister. I hope mine turns out as nice.
What are you running for a motor/prop/battery?

I've added some gussets and a strip of carbon to the bottom of the spar. I'm trading all the aileron linkages and a single HS55 to direct control rods and 2 D4.7s. The weight looks like an even tradeoff, but there's far less chance for slop. The wings will be slightly heavier- that may be better for my local conditions where there seems to always be a slight wind.
wingbeat is online now Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:26 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Thanks! It has flown with the PJS-300 brushless outrunner which was plenty of power. It was designed for standard IPS type motor but I think it would be (and reportedly is) underpowered with that. A nice choice would be a brushless ips replacement in the same ips gearbox. No mods required. Of course any small brushless motor will do fine.

A scale prop size is, I believe, about 8", so keep this in mind when choosing a motor.

It's an easy, gently flyer, and mine had no bad habits... never tip stalled even once. Mine, with the brushless outrunner, 3X 6g servos, and 2-cell lipoly, seemed pretty light on the wing. I definitely wouldn't worry too much about weight with your aileron mod.

Your aileron mod is a good one- My stock ailerons turned out a little stiff and with not much throw. At any rate, this airplane is not terribly responsive on the ailerons, due to the dihedral and whatnot. I'd say it rolls no better than, say a Cub. Have some altitude before you try your first roll!

I would recommend changing the undercarriage design! The CF rod connected to the little CF yoke didn't work for me- it broke every time the landing was not ideal- lots and lots. I've considered installing bent wire u/c if I ever get this one flying again.

It's a great design by Dave Platt. I over-sanded my tailfeathers so they are thin and break too easily but other than that, and the u/c breaking too easily, it's been a great airplane.

Phil
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Oct 26, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,039 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to look closely at the undercarriage design. I still have the wing open. It only needs one hafl le sanded and simple servo install. But at this point I could strengthen the landing gear attachment.

I read the article that was in FLying Models around when the Maggie first came out. The author upgraded to an Astro geared unit and 3S lipoly with very good results. I bought that unit to power mine, hence the strengthening bits here and there.

I'll prepare for scale like rolls! cheers,
Michael
wingbeat is online now Find More Posts by wingbeat