SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2006, 01:50 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Aug 2001
375 Posts
Discussion
So, I’ve been out of the hobby for a couple of years…

A few weeks ago I read through my flight log and noticed that since 2003, I have flown no more than five flights. I have some serious catching up to do, so I’ve renewed both AMA as well as my club’s dues and looking to a long summer of flying. However, sadly, I am really behind the times when it comes to what’s new. In 2003, my favorite planes were the ducted fan T33, an ElectriCub and the GP Cessna 182 ARF (flown with both 14 cells as well as a four-stroke 50). Much of my fleet and equipment have been liquated, save the ElectriCub, Fundango, several 8 cell nicad packs for both planes, two Magnetic Mayhem motors, a Schulze charger (with p-rom upgrade for Lipo) and a Hitec Eclipse. The Fundango is reserved for early mornings when I can sneak into the park and get in a few flights. Because of its size, I only fly the ElectriCub at the club site; last flight was flight # 115 on July 18th 2003.

History aside, over the last few weeks I’ve been lurking in an attempt to get back up to speed on what’s new and exciting in the electric powered R/C world. I may also be looking to add a new plane to the fleet. With that in mind, here are my takeaways of what’s going on in the hobby:
  • There have been many advances, but none compare to what has been happening in the way of batteries. Nicads seem to be dead and Nimh’s future seems to be just as bleak. LiPo are the lightest and provide the best energy density, but at a price that may be twice as high as Nimhs. On the flip side, Lipo weigh about half what Nimh weigh.
  • Brushless motors seem to be the norm now, especially since Kyosho’s line of Mad Science motors were discontinued/made unavailable. However, the then ubiquitous mega 30/3 seems to still be the work horse for 3 lb planes (bigger when geared), with the AXI 2820/10 a popular alternative.
  • .40 conversions are even more popular now, mostly due to the availability of LiPo cells in greater capacities
  • Tower has *finally* acknowledged that e-power is the future of R/C planes as evidenced by their large selection of e-powered kits and barfs.
  • AMA is trying to figure out if and how e-power impacts their mission statement
  • In the way of radios, 72MHz may lose ground to 2.4GHz. This would eliminate glitching, interference as well as the need to sit by the side and wait for a pin
  • Futaba is selling radios that cost more than my PC does. While they look sexy as hell, I’ll probably hold off on buying one
  • Building is becoming even less popular

Have I misinterpreted anything? Missed anything else?
PaulF is offline Find More Posts by PaulF
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2006, 02:09 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
Your right on. Jump back in and fly!
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old May 03, 2006, 02:13 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
The only think I'd add is that the biggest change is the explosion of smaller planes, where the lipos are pretty cheap (probably cheaper than nicad or nimhs of similar power and/or capacity).

The other big change is the AeroAce (and some of the Aerobird series) - RTF toy planes that actually fly reasonably well (if you like that sort of thing, or want to help a friend into the hobby)

Oh, and cheap servos and ESCs from China.

And the hydrofoam.

Otherwise I think you've got it about right.

Best of all, you missed the 'aeroplane on a conveyor' discussion over christmas :-)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 03, 2006, 03:32 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,271 Posts
Those two Magnetic Mayhem motors would still be useful for any twin engine plane using one speed control. I don't think they make them anymore.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old May 03, 2006, 04:12 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Aug 2001
375 Posts
One of the MMs is reserved for the Cub while the other was purchased soley as a backup for the first. Another option may be to use the second motor for a future project, such as an Aerocraft Apache. 10 GP2200 cells along with either the MM or a AXI 2820/10 may make for a nice flyer.
That said, I've always wanted to fly a twin

Speaking of the 2820, is it possible to gear this motor and run 16 cells through it?
PaulF is offline Find More Posts by PaulF
Last edited by PaulF; May 03, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old May 03, 2006, 07:59 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
kinda sounds like when Austin Powers is chronilogically thawed for the first time, missing on the past 40 years of history.

"momma kass.......deceased.....ham sandwich..........jimmi hendrix.....deceased......drugs..............i still cant believe liberachi was gay (no offense at all please dont report me) i mean, i didnt see that one coming! women loved him!"
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old May 03, 2006, 08:14 PM
North Texas
Joined Mar 2006
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF
A few weeks ago I read through my flight log and noticed that since 2003, I have flown no more than five flights. I have some serious catching up to do, so I’ve renewed both AMA as well as my club’s dues and looking to a long summer of flying. However, sadly, I am really behind the times when it comes to what’s new. In 2003, my favorite planes were the ducted fan T33, an ElectriCub and the GP Cessna 182 ARF (flown with both 14 cells as well as a four-stroke 50). Much of my fleet and equipment have been liquated, save the ElectriCub, Fundango, several 8 cell nicad packs for both planes, two Magnetic Mayhem motors, a Schulze charger (with p-rom upgrade for Lipo) and a Hitec Eclipse. The Fundango is reserved for early mornings when I can sneak into the park and get in a few flights. Because of its size, I only fly the ElectriCub at the club site; last flight was flight # 115 on July 18th 2003.

History aside, over the last few weeks I’ve been lurking in an attempt to get back up to speed on what’s new and exciting in the electric powered R/C world. I may also be looking to add a new plane to the fleet. With that in mind, here are my takeaways of what’s going on in the hobby:
  • There have been many advances, but none compare to what has been happening in the way of batteries. Nicads seem to be dead and Nimh’s future seems to be just as bleak. LiPo are the lightest and provide the best energy density, but at a price that may be twice as high as Nimhs. On the flip side, Lipo weigh about half what Nimh weigh.
  • Brushless motors seem to be the norm now, especially since Kyosho’s line of Mad Science motors were discontinued/made unavailable. However, the then ubiquitous mega 30/3 seems to still be the work horse for 3 lb planes (bigger when geared), with the AXI 2820/10 a popular alternative.
  • .40 conversions are even more popular now, mostly due to the availability of LiPo cells in greater capacities
  • Tower has *finally* acknowledged that e-power is the future of R/C planes as evidenced by their large selection of e-powered kits and barfs.
  • AMA is trying to figure out if and how e-power impacts their mission statement
  • In the way of radios, 72MHz may lose ground to 2.4GHz. This would eliminate glitching, interference as well as the need to sit by the side and wait for a pin
  • Futaba is selling radios that cost more than my PC does. While they look sexy as hell, I’ll probably hold off on buying one
  • Building is becoming even less popular

Pretty much the same Paul, pull back to go up...pull back more to go down! (Oh! thats gas power...with electrics pull back to go out of sight!)

Ken
Tcraft is offline Find More Posts by Tcraft
Old May 04, 2006, 06:50 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
From my narow perspective, a couple..

Firstly LIPOS and old Mag mayhems will net you brushless performance ...use those motors up!

See big long running threads in motors forum.

Secondly, CNC machines, and lasers and CADCAM have become very affordable, and there are a plethora of small scale kits coming out that make it a total pleasure to go back to balsa building.

See the scale form for several manufacturers - one man shows - who are kitting up good designs of arcane and very 'uncommercial' planes. It doesn't HAVE to be a tiger moth, Cub, P51 or spitfire anymore..

I personally think that LIOPOS and te Ezone/.Internet way ofbusiness, and the CADCAM revolution has made more nmodels than ever before become available to more people to fly in more places. I'm loving it. When I got back in around 2002 or so, I had ambitions to get one glo plane flying properly.

Now I have about ten eletcrics instead...one for all seasons.. its total bliss.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old May 04, 2006, 06:54 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
One of the MMs is reserved for the Cub while the other was purchased soley as a backup for the first. Another option may be to use the second motor for a future project, such as an Aerocraft Apache. 10 GP2200 cells along with either the MM or a AXI 2820/10 may make for a nice flyer.
That said, I've always wanted to fly a twin

Speaking of the 2820, is it possible to gear this motor and run 16 cells through it?
Yes, but don't bother. Its got an RPM limit on it that makes it a bit of a waste of time, its not THAT efficeint to start with, and you throw away its major advantage. It doesn't need a gearbox.

Get a big mega and a belt drive instead

Your first step should be to sell ALL the Nicads and invest in a LIPO charger and cells.

A geared mag mayhem on 3s LIPO will outperform a geared 2820 on 10 cells IMHO.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1