Old May 02, 2006, 11:40 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Build Log
Titanic build

Hi guys,

This is my new build a RMS Titanic kit that is put out by mantua models.An italian company. Never built one of their kits so hang on! If anybody has, please feel free to jump in and give some input, Please!!!
Its a kit thats done in 5 stages. The hull first then drive line second then structures third then more structures,Stacks life boats etc.
And then alot of details railing, steps, rigging. I think I got it close to the order. The ship is just under 54 inches long. about 5 inches wide.

My wife got me this kit for our wed. anniversary! Back in feburary 2006.
" What a great wife"! I was waiting to start it after I finished the Billings Calypso. Started this titanic this last saturday.

Longbike
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2006, 11:45 PM
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
A few more pictures

longbike
Old May 03, 2006, 12:06 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
This is great. I just recieved a Model Expo catalog in the mail today. I was looking though it and saw this kit. I saw "plank on frame" and thought to myself "no way!" And now here I see you building one and with pictures. Cool!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 03, 2006, 10:44 AM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Hi,

Very nice. I too saw the model in the Model Expo catalog. Glad to see a build thread on it.

Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for sharing!

Oliver
hotjava is offline Find More Posts by hotjava
Old May 03, 2006, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
can all three propellers be powered? Looks like a tempting project
mrdarby is offline Find More Posts by mrdarby
Old May 03, 2006, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
I found out on another website the middle is a dummy prop, couldnt be to hard to put another smaller motor just behind the main twin motors and wire it to the forward only portion of the speed controller, just get some brass tubing and rod to make a shaft for it. Ideas?
Old May 03, 2006, 09:28 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Longbike,

I was very impressed by this model when I saw it in the catalog also.I can see by the pictures and by seeing your other work that this model will be fantastic when finished.I cant wait to see it.Do you think it will be finished by the Regatta??I would not think of trying such a complicated model.I like to "cheat" be starting off with a fiberglass hull.HA HA.I am really enjoying the pictures,keep em comming.

I went to the electonics website you mentioned to me at the meeting,and found many useful things including the mini motors.But I forgot to bookmark it and forgot the name!!!!!!!Its_______electonics??

mrdarby,I have a 1/144th scale Bismarck,which could be a 3 shaft ship if you wanted,but I like the simplicity of just running the two outer shafts.When it comes to wiring,drivetrains,etc I like to keep it simple.And after all when its in the water who's going to know it the middle prop is turning??My middle shaft has a prop on it that is free turning.

HAPPY MODELING
Tim
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old May 03, 2006, 10:51 PM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
On page 65 of the March Model Boats magazine there is a model of the Titanic built by Robin Burrows. It looks to be much longer than 54" The quoted build time is 6500 hours.

Have fun
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo
Old May 04, 2006, 04:28 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
There is a 1/144th scale semi-kit available for the Titanic?Maybe that was it.Some of the items available in 1/144th scale are:hull,funnels,lifeboats,rudder,VERY extensive photo etch set,which includes hundreds of portholes and windows etc.etc.,etc.This is on my list of dream builds.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old May 04, 2006, 09:27 AM
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
knot, hotjava you are very welcome!

mrdarby, the middle prop is a dummy, thanks for reminding me I was wanting to make it functionable, and need to do it now before hull is closed up.

cap christo, I havent seen this copy yet what is the name of the magazine,is it one of these,boat modeler,marine modeling international, yes I know it going to take alot of hours lots of detailing and with me Ill probly go overboard on it.

tim, your too kind, thanks!
I dont know if I will get it finished by the regatta but going to try.I useally spend about 4 to 5 hours a nite on a build but sometimes I have to do the family things like last nite had a birthday party to go to for a nefew and didnt get to work on the build.

That web site is www.allelectronics.com

The scale of this kit is 1/200 scale

thanks guys, longbike
Old May 04, 2006, 07:40 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
If I decided to build this to, I will make the middle prop run only in the forward direction, just like the real one did, then do some crash stop simulations!!
Old May 04, 2006, 11:13 PM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBIKE
I havent seen this copy yet what is the name of the magazine,is it one of these,boat modeler,marine modeling international
Refer attached pics

Cheers
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo
Old May 04, 2006, 11:21 PM
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Mr darby,
When I got home tonight I went to check out for making the center prop working, But I think It will be more trouble than it worth. As you can see in the picture the keel is 1/4 thick and runs up and down the entire length of the ship, You would have to drill a hole in the center of the keel and drill forward about 10 inches to be able get a motor in.
Im just going to make it freewheel to spin with the force of the water when moving.

I got a little more planked out tonight. Man this is a long boat!
These planks are a 1/4 inch wide and it takes the length of 2 strips to cover front to rear.

longbike
Old May 04, 2006, 11:23 PM
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Capt c,

I have never seen or heard of this magazine! I thought I had subcribe to all model boat mags that are out their. Thank you so much! I will have to locate this mag and get it.
longbike
Old May 04, 2006, 11:40 PM
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Capt c.

Well for some reason I cant get to their web site keeps going to some globil gold hosting site. Oh well would like to see it!