HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2002, 02:43 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Mountain Models Cessna 180 - construction pics!

Hi gang!

I am duly impressed with the Cessna kit thus far. Everything is tabbed and fits perfectly! Up to this point, I've finished the actual "construction" and am about to start into the final sanding before covering!!! As a testimony to that, let me show you what 3 hours of work can accomplish:
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2002, 08:50 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Lookin' good! Wow, that's a quick builder! So between this and the Wing-E, are you finding any time for flying?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 12, 2002, 08:57 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Wow Dreamer, you are a fast builder.
Looks great. As always, we're waiting for flying pics

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:09 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Dreamer, off to a good start I see.

My Cessna covering progress is kind of in reverse right now. I had the bottom and one side of the fuse covered and decided the So-Lite white was too transparent so peeled it off again.

Am now trying to decide what is the lightest truly opaque covering.

I see DBlum used LiteSpan on the original 180, wemt to the LHS, they don't carry it. So now I guess I have to order some and BalsaLoc wait till it gets here.

Are there any lite opaque coverings that have adhesive?

In the meantime I am working on Switchback #2.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:07 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Tres, I've been occassionally flying the Gym-E in our backyard, but when it's 100 degrees out until 8 pm I'd rather build than be outside torturing myself too much.

Beachernaut, flying pics will be coming soon! This won't take long to finish

BC, could it be...??? Could I have mine finished before you do? I'll be using white solite and spraying the wood white before covering. One thing that could help... if you have the covering iron up to high, the opaque solite colors go semi-transparent. Try dropping the heat if you haven't already. How's your switchback coming along?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 06:05 PM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
879 Posts
Mountain Models Cessna 180 - construction pics!

Dreamer,
The build up is looking great! I have a Cessna on order too. Hope Doug will ship it soon.

Basketcase,
I have not tried the SoLite covering so I don't know much about it. I was thinking of using Oracover on mine. It is light weight, goes on very easy, shrinks great, glue is already on back of film, and white is very opaque.

Does anyone else have a comparison of SoLite vs. Oracover?

Palmettoflyer
Palmettoflyer is online now Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
Old Jul 12, 2002, 06:13 PM
Arlington, TX, USA
Joined Jun 2001
455 Posts
I've used oracover, oracover lite, and solite. I'm currently covering a 60" stinson with silver and dark blue solite (netson litefilm). The dark blue is VERY opaque. The silver is pretty much opaque. I've also used the white and black. Those are also quite opaque.

If you follow the instructions, the solite is GREAT! I've covered 3 planes with it so far and am extremely pleased with it. When using the silver on sheeted surfaces it's almost impossible to find the seam.

Anyway, I highly recommend the 0.6 oz/sq yard solite. Just be sure to read the tips and practice on some scrap first and you'll be pleased. Be sure to use the baby powder when dealing with large pieces.
asperkins is offline Find More Posts by asperkins
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:02 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Dreamer, you probably will be flying your 180 before mine is done. :P I'm just paralized by indecision. I want it to look like... well, as close as I can get it... to DBlum's (except a different color) and just don't think the So_lite is going to work for me.

I'd probably be finished if not for changing my mind every ten minutes.

And, if I hadn't crashed my Switchback. The new one is moving along nicely. Just the wing to cover (2 wings to cover) and she'll be ready.

Palmetto flyer, thanks for the tip, I did a search for Oracover and it looks like what I'm looking for.

BC
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:14 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,168 Posts
Hey BC,have you ever tried Litespan?It looks great,probably takes paint better,and I'm almost sure it's lighter than oracover.(somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I think it falls between the so-lite and oracover.

Dreamer,looks good.3 hours?? WOW. By the way,I tried to take some flight pics myself while flying my BD5 the other day.It was like trying to pat my head,rub my stomach,and change spark plugs at the same time.How in the world do you do that???Needless to say my hats off to you,I won't be trying that again.
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:28 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks DBlum, I just ordered some of each (Litespan & Oracover) from Hobby Lobby.

How's that for indecision? Now I'll have four different kinds of white covering to pick from.

BC
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:29 PM
Arlington, TX, USA
Joined Jun 2001
455 Posts
Two main differences in Litespan and Litefilm or Oracover. Litespan has no adhesive, so you have to use balsaloc. Also, it does not shrink much at all.

I've had MAJOR wrinkles in Litefilm and have not yet had one that would not shrink out.

I've used Litespan as well. I've had no problems with it. Just make sure you get it as smooth as possible when applying it.

Not considering weight, my favorite so far is Ultracote/Oracover Lite. Wonderful stuff to work with. Next is Litefilm because of the nearly non existant weight.

Best I can tell Litespan is about .9 oz/sq yard. That is without the adhesive, so figure about 1.08 oz/sq yard. Litefilm is .6 oz/sq yard with the adhesive. Oracover lite is about 1.26 oz/sq yard.

I didn't look very hard for this so it may not be accurate.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rwoolley/49.htm
asperkins is offline Find More Posts by asperkins
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:45 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,168 Posts
If you decide yo go with the Litespan,heed asperkins advice.Get it as tight as possible before you shrink it!Anything you put on sloppy,do not assume it will shrink out.Treat it like you would tissue and you'll have no problems.It has a noticable grain and will shrink much better one way than the other.Pay close attention to grain direction,especially on wings.Overlap all edges and when shrinking,try not to put the iron on the overlaped edge else it might "creep" loose.I know it sounds complicated but you get the hang of it quickly,and the final product really is worth it.
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:24 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a picture from earlier today.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:25 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
... and here's another update from a little later on. The windshield is scotch taped on such that the plane could be flyable. Check out this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...178#post404178

for a flying report and pictures

I'll be adding scale details once I'm comfortable with her in the air. I love electric for that!
Old Jul 13, 2002, 12:11 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
question 4 dreamer

Hi Dreamer,

in your first pic of your MM 180 construction , is that your construction board it is setting on? if so what is it made of?
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505