HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2006, 02:46 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Discussion
Har bor Frieght Cub

OK,

I did it-I went out and purchased one of these. It was on sale, and I had a 20% off coupon. I walked out for $90.00 or so with a two year crash warrantee.

The thing assembled in about 1/2 an hour. In some areas, it is pretty crude, in other areas, it is pretty nice (the finish on the foam is very good).

The transmitter should win an award for the worst ergonomic design ever. Mode I (which I do not fly) and throttle on a tab on the back right side of the Transmitter. Very short sticks towards the edges of the case too.

The only other issue that I ran into was the propeller hub not being concentric. This will be replaced to, hopefully, reduce vibration.

I flew it for the first time this morning and it really flew pretty well. The control layout on the transmitter drove me crazy, but the plane flies quite easily. Plenty of power on the fully charged battery to clime out with no problem. It will still fly around at about 1/2 throttle. Landing glide was good (although I almost killed it by trying to firewall the throttle by shoving the left stick forward-unfortunately, the left stick is the elevator-I did pull out in time) and it does flair nicely for landing.

3D is definitly isn't, but for something easy to fly with the occasional loop, not bad.

Not bad, for the price. Lots easier to fly than the "Yellow Bee" (which also flies pretty well).

Anyone else try one of these?
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2006, 11:58 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,835 Posts
I had 5 yellow bees over the past year. For 30 bucks, you can't go wrong. And, at 80 bucks when on sale for the cub and the CRASH warranty for around another 10, you basically get two RTF planes for one. A co-worker had a yellow bee with the crash warranty and he lost his plane due to wind and they gave him another. Whoa!!!

I almost bought one of those Cub's last December but opted not to due to the radio layout. I am glad I did not buy one as I now have a Spectrum and 7 park flyers on LiPo's and brushless motors - but I have WAY less money in my mad account.

If anyone wants to get into this sport, the Cub or yellow bee is a great way to start.

Last weekend I helped a dad/son with their 140 buck POS that they bought at a LHS and it weighed so much it hardly could get in the air. When it did (by hand launch) it flew about 100 yards and tip stalled into the ground due to slow speed.

Harbor Freight also has most or all parts in stock in CA and they are priced fairly. The wind/tail set for the yellow bee is only 10 bucks. I bought many of them.
A friend in our local club put the electrics in a home made Frog. It actually flew pretty good for a first time effort.
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 04, 2006, 04:14 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
rampman,

Thanks for the response.

Your comment on not buying the Cub due to the radio layout is an understatement. I find that the Transmitter controls are truly strange.

I just stuck my old JR Galaxy in it (Hi-Tech Electron 6 Reciever) so that the controls will not drive me nuts.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem