HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2006, 08:43 PM
Poway, CA
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Discussion
Motor for Multiplex Easy Star?

Hi

I like to replace a EasyStar stock motor with brushless motor. But, i dont know, what size motor i need. Let say stock motor is 400 size, what size
brushless will be?

Thanks for any advise
PlaneRacer is offline Find More Posts by PlaneRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
There isn't really a standard set of sizes for brushless motors, so it's hard to answer.

You could look for an identical sized motor to make it easy to fit, and there are several.

Inrunners are easier to mount in the foam, but you will need to strengthen it anyway if you increase the power much.

There's a lot more variety though, so it's probably better if you think about how much power you are planning to put into it (i.e. how much you are going to spend on the batteries) and if you can live with the standard prop size limit, or if you will consider raising the motor and squeezing in a bigger prop.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 02, 2006, 10:36 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
The stock motor is a 400 sized one and I would say get another Mabuchi as there is no need to use a brushless for that plane ... brushless 400 for that can would be a motor with a can of about 28mm, just over 1".
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old May 02, 2006, 10:45 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
I'm using a Mega 16/15/5 in my Easy Star. The 16/15/5 runs about the same RPMs for a given voltage as a sp400 brushed motor but does so more efficiently (i.e. you get longer flying time). The 16/15/* series of motors are drop-in replacements for sp400 motors.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 02, 2006, 10:52 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneRacer
Hi

I like to replace a EasyStar stock motor with brushless motor. But, i dont know, what size motor i need. Let say stock motor is 400 size, what size
brushless will be?

Thanks for any advise
Check here around post 38
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=3&pp=15
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old May 02, 2006, 10:59 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I know several people who have used outrunners in their EZ-Stars. Simply cut back the original foam to place the prop shaft in about the same location as the original can motor, then mount a light ply plate for the outrunner mounting. Make sure the thrust line matches the original.

If you go the outrunner route, you will need a higher kv outrunner probably somewhere in the 1300kv-1700kv range (depending on battery voltage) to be able to spin a 5-6" prop fast enough.

A BL speed 400 replacement motor will need to have a relatively low kv to avoid over amping. Something in the 2000kv-3000kv range should work well (again, depending on battery). If the outside diameter is different, then you'll have to come up with a way to mount it.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old May 02, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
I recommend the RCers Warp 4, 4 turn from www.allerc.com.

I'm using a couple of the 5 turn ones in my TwinStar II, but it has 7" props, which won't clear the tail boom on the EZ*. Going down one turn in the windings will get you into the 5-6" prop range on 8 cells. They have full datasheets that will be useful.

Personally, I'd leave the EZ* brushed, and spend that money on another plane, one that is more worthy of brushless power. The EZ* would benefit from a tad more climb, and higher efficiency, but it is not the best speed flyer on account of its undercambered wing. (makes it rise as you go faster, like it or not)
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old May 02, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
I fly aerial photography with a Typhoon Micro 6 with a 7x4 SF prop on 3S 1200mAh Lipo's. Gets me 3 or 4 flights of 5 minutes easilly with good altitude in the 100 to 250 meter range. So, although at full-throttle this setup pulls about 10A, I-m actually using a bit less than half of that on average. This setup will haul up a 200 gram camera, RTF weight in the 800g range or so, with a good rate of ascent, but will not go vertical. Will that work for you?
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old May 02, 2006, 04:19 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
I mounted a bp-21 on a stick mount that raises it slightly so a 7" prop will clear the boom. I can use anywhere from a 3 cell 2000 to a 3 cell 3850 battery and I carry my CVS camera up and get incredibly long flights. The power is great for hauling the camera up in a hurry, then throttle back and glide around. When not carrying the camera it is quite alot faster than my stock easystar.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old May 02, 2006, 07:46 PM
Poway, CA
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Thank You All for reply's. That info will help me a lot.

Thanks again.
PlaneRacer is offline Find More Posts by PlaneRacer
Old May 02, 2006, 08:03 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
I know it can be done and with good results, however, I can't see sticking outrunners/geared motors on an EZ as a pusher. I have outrunners and geared motors on Stiks, sailplanes, 3D, etc as tractors. You put a prop on the EZ that's bigger than 6" and you wind up doing all these mods that don't make sense.

My Mega 16/15/4, TP 2100 3S, 6x4e will get the EZ and equipment up high quick and then you are ready to chop the throttle and start chasing lift or taking pictures.

If the EZ flies great with the 400 speed motor it flies 4 times better with a brushless, especially if you start flying your EZ in more advanced situations; smaller fields, over the breezy ocean, AP payloads, acrobatics.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; May 02, 2006 at 09:31 PM.