HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2006, 01:05 PM
West Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2006
60 Posts
Question
Thunder Tiger SOARING STAR

hello...can anyone give a quick review of the SOARING STAR? I've had a couple 2M sailplanes many years ago, and I was never really too good with them, but I'm really interested in getting back into the hobby. Those other planes were built and balanced by me, so I'm sure that difficulty I had in flying them was partially due to that :P In the FOR SALE forums here, someone is selling a Soaring Star for a great price, and I'm wondering if I may have better luck with a better quality plane that is pre-built and balanced by someone with more experience. Any advice about this plane would be great. Thanks everyone in advance.

...wishing the best...from the void...justin.paul.ritter..creator of KatieBird...

http://www.katiebirdthemovie.com
rapscallion is offline Find More Posts by rapscallion
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2006, 01:32 PM
Glider Guy
Newport,Ar
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscallion
I'm wondering if I may have better luck with a better quality plane that is pre-built and balanced by someone with more experience.
I cant comment on the plane itself... I did read the for sale add

Quote:
For Sale Tundertiger Soaring Star with motor and 4 HS81 servos. Was flown three times. Plane is in great shape. Just add reciever, speed control, and batteries.
Unless the plane is bought RTF you will still have to balance it after you add the receiver, ESC, and batteries.
RC_Soaring is offline Find More Posts by RC_Soaring
Old May 01, 2006, 01:35 PM
West Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2006
60 Posts
thanks

Thanks R/C Soaring...you're right...of course I'll have to balance it myself after adding the remaining electronics...the offer just looks really good and I'm anxious to fly again...I've been doing mostly R/C cars and trucks of late, but my wife is really into dual string kites, and I think a sailplane would be a cool way for us to join our interests...thanks again for the reply...

...wishing the best...from the void...justin.paul.ritter...creator of KatieBird...

Last edited by rapscallion; May 01, 2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old May 01, 2006, 02:19 PM
Glider Guy
Newport,Ar
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems with the balance.. Pick you up a GreatPlanes C.G Machine from tower hobbies, or you can just make you one from a couple dowels. I prefer the C.G Machine myself.

Blake
Old May 01, 2006, 02:35 PM
West Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2006
60 Posts
...thanks again...

hei R/C Soaring...thanks for the tip...I'll check that out...so I guess I'll probably get this plane...am I crazy for thinking it looks like a great deal? the average price for this plane is much higher than the $50 he is asking for, and the one complete review I was able to find gave the plane very high marks...appreciate your thoughts...

...wishing the best...from the void...justin.paul.ritter...creator of KatieBird...

Old May 01, 2006, 04:05 PM
Glider Guy
Newport,Ar
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
Well for $50.00 you cant go wrong... It will get you in the air and give you something to get back in practice till you decide to buy you something else. Check out http://www.arthobby.com/ best value on the market today.. At least I think so. I deal with Andre all the time, best customer service you could ask for.

Blake