HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:47 PM
I get high on flying!
Ohio
Joined Feb 2006
171 Posts
Discussion
Scratch building foam trainer, need ideas

Hello, I am scratch building a styrofoam trainer. I had some electronics just lyin around so I thought I would make something of all of it. Anyway, I need some ideas on constructing the wing. I have 1/4" foam sheet (the blue stuff from lowes) and a 1" thick sheet, but I dont think I need to use any of that. I was going to cut ribs out of the 1/4" stuff and wrap it with the same 1/4" foam. My big question is what should I use as a spar(s)? Also, do I need a leading edge or will the foam wrapped around the ribs be enough?

The wingspan is 48 inches, chord is 8 1/2 inches, and power is a regular speed 400 and gearbox.

Steve
kc8qvo is offline Find More Posts by kc8qvo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:16 PM
United States, MI, Chelsea
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
For wing spars you can use either carbon fiber or small wood dowl rods.
stafphoto is offline Find More Posts by stafphoto
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Steve: I'd use the 1/4" foam for the spar - set CF rods into the top and bottom to really stiffen things up. FG rods can be used too - they're almost as strong and much cheaper - try Balsa Products for those. Or you can use a yardstick like I said back on RCCanada

The foam will wrap around very nicely without having to resort to using a joint at the LE. Make sure you tape the snot out of the outside of the wing skin (run the tape perpendicular to the spar) using clear packing tape before you do the wrap. After the glue sets up the tape can be removed.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:26 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I always put in a 75% deep, full length main spar, of 3/32" ply or use a thin piece of knot free wood, if you have a table saw in the neighborhood.

Do the same on some horizontal stabilizers that show guy wires installed.

Did both on 3 Piper trainers.

Good for panic, 5G pullouts!
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2