HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:17 AM
Semper Fly--Pro-Bro #2095
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Discussion
What should my first Kit build be???

I will have a couple of arf projects soon. I've never built a kit before but figured I'd try to keep me busy and to gain some experience.

I was thinking about a Sig something extra, or maybe an ultra stick. Maybe a 3d plane or sport type. No profiles, as I want to gain the building experience for the fuse too. So any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Any good flying, 40 or bigger plane. Thanks in advance fellas!
Merkaba is offline Find More Posts by Merkaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:37 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The SIG Somethin' Extra is a good kit for a first time builder with reasonable flying skills.

If you are just progressing out of trainers, a better choice would be the SIG Four Star 40.

Either kit goes together quickly. Both are .40 size models.
The Four Star will fly a little slower and is less aerobatic.
The Somethin' Extra will do many 3D maneuvers if you use the correct prop and a ball bearing .46 2-stroke.

Its more a question of where your flying skills are. Don't go for the Somethin' Extra if you have only flown tricycle gear high wing trainer types. The Four Star is the stepping stone between those and the Somethin' Extra.

The Ultra Stick can be flown by someone who has less flying skill than needed for the Somethin' Extra by siomply setting it up with reduced control throws. However, I do not know how hard the kit is to build. As far as flying... go for it, they are nice airplanes capable of being set up to fly like a trainer and capable of being set up to do many 3D maneuvers. But I've only seen the ARF.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:41 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Great Planes Rapture is a good choice for a beginner kit-builder.

The price is right, it looks good, and is a fantastic flyer.

Give it a try . . . . you'll like it!!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:21 PM
Semper Fly--Pro-Bro #2095
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Thanks guys. I would say I'm an advanced intermediate pilot. Definitely dont need anything with "inherent stability" or trike gear. I have a Ucando 46 that I tumble around with mostly. I probably want something mid wing and more than mildly aerobatic. I see too many 4stars at my field, and I like being able to get out of trouble by rolling and adding elevator at any orientation. hehe.
Merkaba is offline Find More Posts by Merkaba
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:55 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Since you can handle the U-Can-Do well... then the Somethin' Extra is a good choice for a first kit. You may want to look at the assorted modifications that people have done.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771