Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:10 PM
Its true... A MAN CAN FLY
Townsville, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
Discussion
Lipo loss caused by spark

G'day.
I just bought a new 1600MaH lipo. It came, as many do, with that weak little plug. I pulled it off to solder on a deans plug. Unfortunately, the leads touched for a split second. Now my Swallow charger won't even recognise the battery is there. Is it lost, or can it be saved?
I have also had a problem with another battery and recognition after I soldered a deans plug on and wondered if the heat from the soldering iron might cause a problem. What do you think?
2lakea is offline Find More Posts by 2lakea
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:16 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
When you had the short you burned one of the tab's off one of the batteries cells, Been there done that.

Milton
Milton is offline Find More Posts by Milton
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:23 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Leads should be done one at a time. Never have two ,striped battery leads at the same time. When changing connector types ,cut and strip one slip on a piece of heat shrnik , solder to new connector slide heat shrink into position shrink ,now repeat.Never cut both leads at the same time either.

Do you get any voltage measurement at all?

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:32 PM
Townsville, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I will never make the mistake of doing both leads at once again. I guess theres no hope of replacing the burnt out tAB.
Oh well. This hobby is just like boating. Throwing money into a bottomless hole in the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Leads should be done one at a time. Never have two ,striped battery leads at the same time. When changing connector types ,cut and strip one slip on a piece of heat shrnik , solder to new connector slide heat shrink into position shrink ,now repeat.Never cut both leads at the same time either.

Do you get any voltage measurement at all?

Charles
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:01 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
No
The best two times of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Milton
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:04 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
Charles,
Being you are located in south Ga, Are you going to SEFF.

Milton
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:30 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakea
G'day.
Unfortunately, the leads touched for a split second.
Most likely the tabs are OK, but check it there is a small PCB on the battery pack. If there is then it may be a crossover between cell one add cell 2 (cell one being the one with (+) wire attached.)

During a short this crossover acts as a FUSE all you need to do is jump it with some wire and solder. (solder alone may not work)

Best Wishes,

Dan
TrueRC
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Apr 29, 2006, 03:38 AM
Townsville, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supi7
Most likely the tabs are OK, but check it there is a small PCB on the battery pack. If there is then it may be a crossover between cell one add cell 2 (cell one being the one with (+) wire attached.)

During a short this crossover acts as a FUSE all you need to do is jump it with some wire and solder. (solder alone may not work)

Best Wishes,

Dan
TrueRC
Thanks Dan. Excuse my ignorance. What does PCB stand for? Do you have a photo of what you mean? Cheers mate.
Regards,
Mark
Old Apr 29, 2006, 06:16 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
printed circuit board

The break may be anywhere on that "Z bend"

Dan
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Last edited by supi7; Apr 29, 2006 at 06:27 PM.