SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
Whoops!
Battery "the wrong way" on Optic 6

I have unfortunately connected a battery the wrong way on my Optic 6, IE on +. Dont ask me how i did that
Now the battery is connected the right way again. It turns on OK, and the menu looks fine, but it is not sending any signal to my receiver. It is not working on my simulator either.
Can this be fixed?
Is it expensive?
strmor is offline Find More Posts by strmor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:26 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmor
I have unfortunately connected a battery the wrong way on my Optic 6, IE on +. Dont ask me how i did that
Now the battery is connected the right way again. It turns on OK, and the menu looks fine, but it is not sending any signal to my receiver. It is not working on my simulator either.
Can this be fixed?
Is it expensive?
I can not believe Hitec hasn't fixed this problem. It has been a problem
with every one of their radios since time began.

It has probably smoked an internal IC and will have to be sent in.

I wouldn't tell them you did the battery wrong. Just send it in and
act stupid (i.e. Tell them it just died)
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Apr 29, 2006, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
Thanx for your advice, I will send it to Hitec.

I have tested a couple of things today, and here is the result:

* The radio works fine against my Schulze alpha-535 receiver
* The radio does not work on my Twister CP V2
* The radio does not work on my simulator

Strange?
Old Jul 04, 2006, 08:44 PM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Joining the club...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmor
Can this be fixed?
Is it expensive?

I'm joining the club on this particular goof

Did exactly the same thing with a new pack from cheapbatterypacks.com. They even say on their website to check the polarity of the leads, and I did, but not well enough. After the fact is too late.

Can anyone comment on what exactly fries in this situation? Part of the RF module or part of the main radio? I have a crystalled (fixed channel) module, not Spectra, so if I just fried the module I'm not as upset (excuse to upgrade to Spectra!). Not to mention, a module is easier to ship around if needed.

Unfortunately, this is my only radio, so I may be grounded while getting it fixed (excuse to get another radio? )

Anyone else have a repair cost estimate?

Thanks

73 John
jvander is offline Find More Posts by jvander
Old Jul 05, 2006, 03:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm not sure what actually was damaged, but the people at the engineering workshop told me that mine not could be repaired (Great excuse for a new one) . I got a great deal on the 9c super, so I bought that instead.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:15 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,323 Posts
strmor,
Was that Hitec service that said it could not be repaired? That's mind boggling
Are you in the US? or is service in your location provided by a local importer.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:32 AM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
I'm not in the US, I'm from Norway. The service is provided by a local importer.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 10:30 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,323 Posts
I thought that you might not be in the US, but your English is so good it wasn't obvious
Why don't you post this question on the Hitec forum just two get a second opinion, I find it hard to accept that it can't be fixed.
Regards,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:16 AM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
I thought that you might not be in the US, but your English is so good it wasn't obvious
Why don't you post this question on the Hitec forum just two get a second opinion, I find it hard to accept that it can't be fixed.
Regards,
Pete
Pete,

I posted the question yesterday in the Hitec/Multiplex forum but don't expect anyone to get online there til later in the day (I think they're in California). For reference, the post is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=1

I may end up calling Hitec directly to ask the question rather than waiting for one of the Hitec reps who participate in these forums to get online. I'll update this thread if I get any new info.

Like you mention, just about anything should be able to be fixed. Whether it is economic to fix or not may be a different question. A couple of hours of a tech's time to diagnose and repair can get you up to where you may not want to bother.

73 John
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:39 AM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Not wanting to wait too long I went ahead and called Hitec and got through to their service department. I got the standard "You need to send it in and the tech will look at it", pretty much as expected. The rep that I talked with said repair cost for this is typically $10 to $15 and turnaround is usually 7 days or so.

If this is accurate then I'll go with the repair. Guess I'd better write down the setup for my DLG, it was a challenge to get programmed...

strmor, you may be able to get yours repaired if you can ship cheaply enough (or know someone travelling to the US who can hand carry it).

73 John
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:48 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I've had Hitec repair a transmitter and 3 receivers sent in at the same time, at no charge, last month.
I have no qualms at all about sending stuff to them.
Previous work has also been complete and done on time.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:11 PM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Hitec Service - fast turnaround!

Just got off the phone regarding my repair, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...87#post5753957 for the longer version of the results.

Short story is fast turnaround and overall good service!

73 John
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
I wonder why Hitec don't just install a diode in-line with the battery to protect the circuitry. Since this appear to be a common problem.

~ASM
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_