HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:44 AM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Thanks Degreen,
I'd like to see the paper TM's if you can post them. I like how the top of your horizontal stabilizer appears to have ribs, but the bottom shows it's flat, so it must be the printing on the paper. Yet the wing looks like the stock PTM foam, with molded in "ribs". How do you get bond paper to not wrinkle? Can you soften it enough (with water?) to go around the compound contours (or do you make trim cuts?), and how much weight does it all add? Thanks!
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:00 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier View Post
Thanks Degreen,
I'd like to see the paper TM's if you can post them. I like how the top of your horizontal stabilizer appears to have ribs, but the bottom shows it's flat, so it must be the printing on the paper. Yet the wing looks like the stock PTM foam, with molded in "ribs". How do you get bond paper to not wrinkle? Can you soften it enough (with water?) to go around the compound contours (or do you make trim cuts?), and how much weight does it all add? Thanks!
The bottom or the plane is painted with paper roundles glued on the bottom wing.

Only place I had to cut the paper so it would lay flat is wing tips. The paper will wrinkle a little on the wings. I do not know how much weight it adds but not much. The TM probably has about 4 sheets of paper total on it. I think I printed 6 or 7 sheets but probably only used half of each sheet.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:13 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,538 Posts

New wall paper for my desktop!
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,518 Posts
Wow, that really looks good Wes. Where did you get it? You know that plane that crashed here was NOT out of fuel. He was wide open on both engines... flying sideways! There was fuel in both tanks, but no fire. They had been working on the plane and something broke. Then, yesterday a Beech landed at the airport with his nose gear stuck. Good pilot. He landed on the rear wheels and let the plane bleed off speed until the nose dropped onto the runway. They put airbags under the wings of the plane and lifted it off the ground and manually pulled the nose gear down. No damage but some scratches and dents on the bottom of the nose. I think we're having a "crash athong" here now!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,538 Posts
It was posted on Facebook. People freak out when there is a crash or emergency landing on the news. They talk about how dangerous it is and they would be afraid to fly.

Ignoring how safe it actually is. faaaaar more car crashes then planes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
It was posted on Facebook. People freak out when there is a crash or emergency landing on the news. They talk about how dangerous it is and they would be afraid to fly.

Ignoring how safe it actually is. faaaaar more car crashes then planes!
Oh, god I HATE Facebook. It wasn't even on the news here. It was in the next morning's local section of the newspaper. I've got over 1000 hours in a J-3 Piper Cub. Nothing has ever happened to that plane. We had another incident a couple of years ago where the pilot could not get his nose gear down. Instead of landing with it stuck.... they sent a pickup truck out on the runway with 2 guys in the back.
As the plane came in slowly, they took off in the pickup truck and matched his speed. The nose gear doors were open, so one guy held the other to steady him and the guy just reached up and grabbed the gear and pulled it down. The plane landed safely and there were no injuries or damage. The only incident of any concern I've had was when I was flying in a Bell 47g helicopter and we hit a vulture with one rotor blade. The helicopter started shaking like hell, but we made it from 50 miles out over the everglades back to Ft. Lauderdale airport and landed. It was kind of messy.... with all the vulture guts all over the canopy, but we made it back! Great pilot... didn't say much. He just radioed a Mayday and told me to hold on to something. You don't have to be in the air to get killed by an airplane. I saw a helicopter trying to take off and he got in to harmonics, which is impossible to get out of. The helicopter just sat there on the runway and destroyed itself without ever leaving the ground. The pilot was killed. The best thing to do if you are afraid to fly is to simply stay on the ground while we're up there having the time of our lives.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:16 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,538 Posts
It has been invaluable to me promoting the fly in. Most of the model companies and a lot of clubs are on facebook. and a ton of r/c fliers too. Including many from rcg!.

I have seen the video of the guys pulling the gear down. Calm heads and hands there!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
It has been invaluable to me promoting the fly in. Most of the model companies and a lot of clubs are on facebook. and a ton of r/c fliers too. Including many from rcg!.

I have seen the video of the guys pulling the gear down. Calm heads and hands there!
I guess it's because I don't have time to run a web site and get into a seething mass of humanity like Facebook. I sort of look at it as a melting pot of scams, murderers, and viruses. I do have an account there to advertise my web site, but that's it.

Yeah, those guys were on the ball, weren't they? Didn't they miss it once or twice before one of them grabbed it? You want to see something funny.... over at the airport here there are two guys who do a routine at air shows. They have a big truck with two channels welded to brackets that bolt the channels to the roof. A guy hops in the J3 Cub and takes off... the truck is just leisurely driving down a runway and the guy in the airplane flies up from behind... matches his speed to the truck and sets the plane down on it. The truck slows down and they stop with the airplane sitting on the roof rails. Then, they turn into the wind and the guy in the truck starts going faster and faster as the pilot gives the plane throttle and when they reach the right speed, the plane just goes gently back into the air.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:20 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Amen Buzz! ^_~

I need "Get-outta-my-face-book", the anti-social network!

Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well! Weather should start getting a wee bit less sucky here and the days are getting longer so I should be able to sneak in some Lil' Fishy flights soon!

Also getting the last bits of my Dumas Dragon Rapide polished off! Yeeha!

CHeers,

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty View Post
Amen Buzz! ^_~

I need "Get-outta-my-face-book", the anti-social network!

Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well! Weather should start getting a wee bit less sucky here and the days are getting longer so I should be able to sneak in some Lil' Fishy flights soon!

Also getting the last bits of my Dumas Dragon Rapide polished off! Yeeha!

CHeers,

K.

Hey, Kitty! Yeah, I like that title. It was 75 degrees and sunny here.
Hope you're doing well .... If you go back a few pages you'll find pictures of me flying the "25 ft. Moth" ... lol It seemed higher than 25 ft for some reason.
But, pictures don't lie! Post some pics of the Dragon when it's finished.
Any artwork on this one?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Hi, all!

Seems like a crime how we all slow down in the winter, even in places like
Florida! I've got half a dozen models finished, ready to fly, but just don't get out to fly them. At least, most of us are still here!
I find my Pico Moth kits, that we got to replace the ones we lost in the fire, every so often, in the closet, and also the Dragon Rapide kit, (I bought it to replace the 2 kits we lost, and still haven't laid down a stick)!
Well, at least we can get better equipment these days, so when I do get around to it, they'll be better planes! Keep 'em flyin'!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Yea, our wind condidtions have not been favorable for small plane flying around Chicago. Always 15+. i dont mind that, but it makes it too cold to be flying in general...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:28 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
I about got my moth all back together. it's so full of epoxy that I really should get another one before they are all gone.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:00 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Yea, our wind condidtions have not been favorable for small plane flying around Chicago. Always 15+. i dont mind that, but it makes it too cold to be flying in general...
Well, Chicago is called the "Windy City" for a reason.
Windy here today also. Now I'm in a real jam. Do I go flying.... or do I sit in my recliner with a few adult beverages and watch the Daytona 500?
Man, there was a horrible wreck just now... one car was turned backwards just as they came to the crowded grandstand. These new "cars" are supposed to stay on the ground. Well, they don't! He got turned backwards at the end of the last lap and the car soared up to the TOP of the restraining fence. Some poor guy in the stands got a really hot engine in his lap. 22 spectators injured... one critically. Driver was not injured. But, he rolled up on that fence at full throttle, and this time.... the fence didn't hold up. One of the injured was an infant...

(?) Who the hell would take an infant into the speedway.

You guys be sure to watch Danica Patrick win the Daytona 500! lol !!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:50 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,538 Posts
It is a terrible thing that happened. Horrible. Tony Stewart won the nationwise race tonight. But you could tell he was sick about what happened. Not really caring about the race at that point.

It is a rare thing when this happens. But it does. It happened at a short track I raced at many years ago.
You cannot stop everything from happaning. No matter what you do.

I had a really strange thing happen with my PTM today. Flying level on landing approach the left wings folded! I have never pushed this plane. beat on it. And it was solid before flying today. Until the last flight.
RCG Plus Member