Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:17 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
If you like I can measure what I opened my battery compartment up to. And it is much easier to do before you join fuselage halves.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
I have the fuselage almost finished on my next TM. Next I will start on the wings.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Super cool
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,271 Posts
Super paint work, Degreen--tell us how you do it please.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:37 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
Super paint work, Degreen--tell us how you do it please.
It is created on the computer, printed on paper, and glued on the plane with stick glue. It is easier to scratch build and make the foam match the paper than make the paper match the plane as I did here. The bottom of the plane and cowl are painted. The top of the wings will be printed paper and the bottom will be painted. The printed paper on the wings will make them stiffer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
It is created on the computer, printed on paper, and glued on the plane with stick glue. It is easier to scratch build and make the foam match the paper than make the paper match the plane as I did here. The bottom of the plane and cowl are painted. The top of the wings will be printed paper and the bottom will be painted. The printed paper on the wings will make them stiffer.
Wow. Great design work! It looks real. What kind of printer are you using to get that metallic look? I've never seen anything like that before.

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:00 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Wow. Great design work! It looks real. What kind of printer are you using to get that metallic look? I've never seen anything like that before.

Buzz
I use a color laser printer. It makes waterproof prints. I make stickers for most of my planes on it. If you like the windscreens, I printed the frames, cut out a large section around the frame, cut out where it is to be clear. Glued it on liter bottle plastic then cut plastic and paper at the outside of the frame. Clamped in pliers and bent to angle. If anyone wants to make this style of windscreen I can post the file to print the frame.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,835 Posts
Quote:
I use a color laser printer. It makes waterproof prints. I make stickers for most of my planes on it. If you like the windscreens, I printed the frames, cut out a large section around the frame, cut out where it is to be clear. Glued it on liter bottle plastic then cut plastic and paper at the outside of the frame. Clamped in pliers and bent to angle. If anyone wants to make this style of windscreen I can post the file to print the frame.
Hmmmm.... I'm using color ink jet so that won't work. But, my wife's legal firm has a brand new laser printer.... heh heh..... Please do post the windscreen instructions.

Buzz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:50 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
When you do the windscreen, cut where the glass is suppost to be out first, glue on liter bottle plastic then cut around the outside of the frame.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:04 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,835 Posts
Quote:
When you do the windscreen, cut where the glass is suppost to be out first, glue on liter bottle plastic then cut around the outside of the frame.
Thanks! I have the dash panels but not the windscreen frame.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Scratch Building

Quote:
I have the fuselage almost finished on my next TM. Next I will start on the wings.
Hi Degreen,

I was thinking "What a great paint job, I need to learn how to do that", but then read that it's printed on paper and adhered to the foam. That approach should work for me, since my choice of colors and artistic ability is limited.

Are you using depron foam or the pink or blue polystyrene, and what thickness? Depron USA used to have a store in Seattle, but they closed it, so I've been cutting my own sheets of blue foam on the bandsaw with a homemade vacuum jig and fence to hold it.

Did you use normal 20# bond paper or something else. Years ago I ran some silkspan tissue through my inkjet printer by taping it to a carrier sheet. Sprayed it with dope to keep the ink from running, then adhered it with elmer's white glue.

Would you mind sharing your artwork, and fuselage flat pattern? I'm also looking forward to hearing about your progress on the wings. This thread has been way too quiet lately, thanks for posting.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:26 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier View Post
Hi Degreen,

I was thinking "What a great paint job, I need to learn how to do that", but then read that it's printed on paper and adhered to the foam. That approach should work for me, since my choice of colors and artistic ability is limited.

Are you using depron foam or the pink or blue polystyrene, and what thickness? Depron USA used to have a store in Seattle, but they closed it, so I've been cutting my own sheets of blue foam on the bandsaw with a homemade vacuum jig and fence to hold it.

Did you use normal 20# bond paper or something else. Years ago I ran some silkspan tissue through my inkjet printer by taping it to a carrier sheet. Sprayed it with dope to keep the ink from running, then adhered it with elmer's white glue.

Would you mind sharing your artwork, and fuselage flat pattern? I'm also looking forward to hearing about your progress on the wings. This thread has been way too quiet lately, thanks for posting.
I was going to wait to show the wings when the plane was finished but sense you asked about how I do it here are the finished wings mounted on the plane. The wing struts are not attached to the lower wing yet.
I look for free paper airplanes on the net. I have a big collections to chose from now. I picked the cameo for this GWS Tiger Moth. I enlarge the paper part to fit the part of the plane I want to cover. On tail fins and wings I had to trim both the paper and foam after I glued the paper on. You can cheat a little, such as on this plane the lower wings top paper did not quite reach the fuselage on the leading edge, I printed more paper that had a section that looked like it matched the wings and glued it on to extend under the fuselage. I use stick glue cause it is easy to use. A couple days after I glue the paper on I check for loose edges and reglue them. I found the windscreens on a differant paper model. I had to enlarge and streach them to fit. Then recolor them cause they were too grainy. I just use copier paper most of the time. I now make paper cowls for some of my planes and use photo paper for them cause it is stiffer.

On my scratch builds I just pick a foam that I think will work best for the part I am making. I built a Bristol M1C that has a round tapered fuselage. I used 1/16th inch foam a flying buddy give me to make the fuselage. Blue FF makes parts that I have to bend some. I like pink FF to make wings cause it is stiff.

If interested in paper Tiger Moth models I can post them here.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:29 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Well I tried flying my little moth in way too much wind. upon take off the wind caught it.
Lifted her up, flipped her inverted an smack into a power line.
Now for the repair work.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:45 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Well I tried flying my little moth in way too much wind. upon take off the wind caught it.
Now for the repair work.
You should be ready to fly in about 10 minutes. lol!!!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:18 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now for the repair work.
Now you don't have to go to all the work to repair it. Just ship the crashed TM to me and I will bash it into something else. LOL