HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Despite everyone's advice against it, desperate to make this plane flyable, I have fiberglassed the wings. I used 0.55 oz fiberglass cloth and Minwax Polycrylic. It added about 7-8 grams to the finished plane. I also added a new, crazy pilot, cuz you'd have to be crazy to fly anything that's broken this many times!
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,276 Posts
If the wings are the problem--order a new pair for $10 from bphobbies.com and start over. I keep several spare parts for my fleet of moths (have 4 flyable moths right now).
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
It's become a quest!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
If that wing doesn't hold up, next time you glass a set, try doing the bottom, instead. Glass doesn't have very good compression strength, at least not compared to it's tensile strength.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:51 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Good point. A friend convinced me that layup would be easier on the top than the bottom (which I think it was) but you're probably right.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
If the wings are the problem--order a new pair for $10 from bphobbies.com and start over. I keep several spare parts for my fleet of moths (have 4 flyable moths right now).
But, the wings you're ordering aren't the same as the wings we first got with the Moth, are they? I haven't flown a newer one. I still have one set of white wings of the old design left. No chance of flying anything here... I haven't seen the sun but twice in the last month and the wind is constant. If it doesn't calm down and clear up soon, I'm going to jump off of the coffee table!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
If that wing doesn't hold up, next time you glass a set, try doing the bottom, instead. Glass doesn't have very good compression strength, at least not compared to it's tensile strength.
I have never "glassed" a plane with Minwax. It seems like it would be heavy, but apparently not. Personally, with my skills at this I wouldn't even try it. I know I'd end up with clumps and wads on the top of the wing and Bournuli's Law would keep me grounded.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
That's exactly what I expected to happen. I'll put my lack of skill up against anyone's!

However, as I said, I didn't feel I could fly the plane anyway, so I had very little to lose. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much.

I actually thought I was using WBPU all this time but a look at the can showed me it's actually polycrylic rather than polyurethane - for whatever difference that makes. I bought this stuff years ago on someone's recommendation. I may even have gotten the wrong thing, but it's worked for me so far.

I laid the glass over the wing and brushed on the polycrylic with a brush. Let it dry. Sanded it with 400 wet/dry, then gave in another thin coat. It's almost invisible on the wings; you have to look really close to see the difference between the glassed and un-glassed parts. Here's a photo after the glassing was finished.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
That's exactly what I expected to happen. I'll put my lack of skill up against anyone's!

However, as I said, I didn't feel I could fly the plane anyway, so I had very little to lose. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much.

I actually thought I was using WBPU all this time but a look at the can showed me it's actually polycrylic rather than polyurethane - for whatever difference that makes. I bought this stuff years ago on someone's recommendation. I may even have gotten the wrong thing, but it's worked for me so far.

I laid the glass over the wing and brushed on the polycrylic with a brush. Let it dry. Sanded it with 400 wet/dry, then gave in another thin coat. It's almost invisible on the wings; you have to look really close to see the difference between the glassed and un-glassed parts. Here's a photo after the glassing was finished.
Ha! You don't know who you're talking to here. I can break an anvil. lol

Seems like regular polyurethane would melt the foam. The finish looks good.
I wonder if you could use the glass to do a stronger repair than CA and clear packing tape? Hmmmm......
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
The 'glassing adds surprisingly hardly any weight for its inherent strength, if using lightweight cloth. I 'glassed a wing with a 788" wing area, using .75 oz cloth and water based Polycrylic with a penalty of just 1.04 oz. extra weight.

But as noted, the cloth works best when fused to the underside of the wing, for added strength and aesthetics. The lightweight cloth conforms to irregular shapes with ease when applying the Polycrylic. 2" foam brushes work great as an applicator.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:55 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
I used .55 cloth, so it was really light.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Alrighty guys - it flies! More than that, for the first time it can handle a crash!

It wasn't wise to take it out today as it was pretty windy and gusty, but I've rarely been accused of being wise.

The parking lot was full, so I did my first ever ROG with this plane on grass. I was semi-amazed when it took to the sky.

I totally screwed up the landing though, mis-judging the wind and stalling it a few feet off the ground. It dropped a wing, turned sideways into the wind, and did a double-cartwheel across the ground ... and survived with no damage!

This is by far the worst crash this plane has ever had. I promise you, if I'd done this with my stock plane, all four wings would have snapped off.

Hooray!
Pico Tiger Moth - Fiberglassed wings - Re-maiden (3 min 16 sec)

I think the plane may be a bit tail-heavy which is actually good news as I've got 1/8oz of lead on the tail to balance it, so I can pull some of that off and decrease the AUW.
Last edited by mclarkson; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
I like your groundwork aerobatic skills.

Surprising that it came away without damage since the wingtips weren't fiberglassed?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Nope. The glassing stops just inboard of the wing struts.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,871 Posts
That's not bad at all.... flying in a hurricane.