HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
I also have a wrecked ptm here that crashed a couple of years ago. I never had the heart to throw it away. It is the old thin foam style. Well the motor has made me decide to try and bring it back to flight status.

So hopefully in a few weeks it will be back in the air too.
Never throw away a crashed TM. Send it to me and I will turn it into something else. I have 3 sets of unused GWS TM decals if any one wants a set PM me. I have a new TM I am going to bash into a Swordfish. I will have some parts let over from it. I know I have an extra cowl.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Wes,
I will shoot you a PM, thanks.

I personally think the old LensRC motors are perfect for the Moth. As I mentioned mine has over 1000 flights on it and while I have had to solder some wires and reattach the bell to the shaft a few times it just keeps going.

I received my batteries...yahoo....

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
I need to dig up an esc for the Lensrc motor. I borrowed one to test it. And dig up a prop adapter for it. I had forgot how beefy the shaft on them is for their size!
I agree I think it is the perfect motor for them too. I wish he had never stopped making them.
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Club in Oklahoma forming.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
I need to dig up an esc for the Lensrc motor. I borrowed one to test it. And dig up a prop adapter for it. I had forgot how beefy the shaft on them is for their size!
I agree I think it is the perfect motor for them too. I wish he had never stopped making them.
I like motors with threaded shaft so I don't need a prop adp. An easy way to put threaded shaft on 3mm motor is to take a CDROM drive and remove the slide guides. Most of them are 3mm and will ca on the motor shaft. Then cut the head off a 3mm bolt and ca into the guide. Another way I have made motor with threaded shaft is to change the shaft out. 3mm threaded motor shafts are easy to find.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
I don't really want to change out a perfectly good shaft. I may have a prop adapter somewhere. I will look. And it won't be that hard to come up with one if I don't have one.

Not to mention my hands are not really steady and I have trouble controlling them.
Thanks for the suggestion though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
I have had one of these kits given to me recently, and have been doing some reading on this thread. From what I hear, it is a good idea to use a more modern brushless motor such as a "Blue Wonder". Do I need to buy or make some kind of mount to put that motor in the Tiger Moth?
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
One like THIS should work well. You might need to add a popsicle stick shim to fit on the stock motor stick, but that's not at all difficult. I like that it has a little bit of a heat-sink effect with the motor enclosed in the cowl.

Does it actually make it run any cooler? I don't know, but it's comforting to think it might.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Finally maidened Moth #4 at lunch. I tried Saturday but the plane failed a range check on two different GWS RX's. Both these RX's have been sitting in the basement for a number of years but it is heated and I run a dehumidifier so I don't know what the issue was and I have not checked them in another set up. The only change I made was to go from a Curtek lighting system to a TinyBrightLights system....maybe the TBL system is more "noisy" then the Curtek system?

Good to have a Moth back in the arsenal...hoping for favorable conditions tonight for a little night opps action.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Good morning folks!

Oh, the possibilities!!! This version is called the DH-71 Tigermoth...

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy View Post
Good morning folks!

Oh, the possibilities!!! This version is called the DH-71 Tigermoth...

Corey
Very cool! Bet if that was kitted it would sell!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Kind of looks like the Parkflyer Pete I built a long time ago... Would be a really neat homebuilt aircraft as well!

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
I wonder.... Did that guy trailer that plane to that location? Or fly it there?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,343 Posts
Outerzone.com.uk has this plan for the DH 71. This Tiger Moth racer has been a favorite with free flighters for years.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1190
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts

This is what my Pico Moth looks like pretty much every time I fly it. I'm about ready to give up and strip the gear for another model.

As I've posted before, the wings on this one are made of eggshells. It's the most fragile plane I've owned. Maybe I got a bad batch of foam, I dunno. I may give it one more try and glass the underside of the wings, or add CF or something.

Disappointed.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post

This is what my Pico Moth looks like pretty much every time I fly it. I'm about ready to give up and strip the gear for another model.

As I've posted before, the wings on this one are made of eggshells. It's the most fragile plane I've owned. Maybe I got a bad batch of foam, I dunno. I may give it one more try and glass the underside of the wings, or add CF or something.

Disappointed.
I honestly don't think this is all the fault of the plane. It was a great idea to put ailerons and no dihedral in it, but I think that is your culprit. If you built it the way it supposed to be.... rudder and elevator only with plenty of dihedral I don't think there would be so much stress on the wings. The beauty of a Tiger Moth kit is to have it fly very slowly with rudder and elevator only. I'm not knocking your build by any means. If you try to keep it at about 8 or 9 oz there will be a lot less chance of breaking the wings at that point.

I must admit that I have altered one that looks remarkably like the "racing moth" that guy has in the pictures that Corey posted. But, the only thing stock on my "super moth" is the fuselage. I have THICK airfoil wings on it that are full of carbon rod and which are bolted together inside. If you go back a ways in this thread there is a picture of it. I've flown it 3 times and every time it goes so fast the tail feathers blow off. I've been lucky that it goes into a flat spin and so far has landed in soft grass or bushes. I've never had it at full throttle and I think it's still going above 50mph at half throttle. No ailerons! Still rudder and elevator only.

The build was done by Wes. He put a ton of time in on it. I can't remember where I got the wings made.......... do you remember Wes?

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz