HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Does anyone know if Testors Model Master spray enamel attacts foam? I know acrylic and H2O paint are foam safe. Some spray can propellent will attact foam too.
Use acryllic spray paint, or brush it on. Spray enamels will usually attack foam... just like regular super glue. Use foam safe stuff. I do however have a very very old moth and the wings have gotten brittle. Could be a combination of all of it.
You can still do a roll without ailerons too. All rudder and no elevator will put you into a beautiful spin also.

Hey Doug and Wes! I think I'm human again.... wait... don't do it Doug!

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
Yesterday was a great flying day at Shangri-La South in central Virginia.
Pat:

Why type (make/model) camera are you using to get those great shots? Must be working with a telephone lens. The detail in the enlarged pics is really good, in addition to the framing. Yes, photography was a BIG thing for me many moons ago, as a freelancer with B&W doing race action photography. Really great looking planes in your fleet, Moths and all!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hey Doug and Wes! I think I'm human again....
Buzz
Amazing what 12 weeks at Betty Ford will do for a guy!

Apologitus Profundus........just could not pass that one up!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
Doug, did you snap a "famous" pic of a Mustang road racing? I always thought your named seemed familiar, but could never place it.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,275 Posts
Doug

I use a Canon SLR with a 55 - 250 autofocus zoom lens and shoot on servo or burst mode. Thanks for the compliment!
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
After 5 years I finally finished up Moth #4, took a bit of a hiatus when the Wee Man came into this world but he has show some interest over the last few weeks so what better to get him flying then a Moth. I just recycled gear from the past Moth's which include a LensRC 15T motor, Castle 10A ESC, GWS Pico servos all controlled by a GWS 4CH RX. Mods are carbon reinforced struts, glassed rudder and elevator where the control horns are attached, carbon joiner on the elevator halves, steerable tail wheel, flying wires and of course lights and I think that is it. After building 4 of them and having well over 1500 flights on them combine these are all things that i have found to increase the life span of the Moth. Can't wait to start doing some night ops again.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
5 years? And I thought I was a slow builder. Was it PNP?
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
Got a chance to do some flying today. It was me and two friends who were there. They both fly glow.
Well I got 9 flights in. 6 on my TM and one on another plane.
One of my friends worked all afternoon to try and get two planes in the air. After a good 3 hours of tinkering he managed to get 2 flights in on one of the planes. The other friend got one flight. I did not say anything to them. But I sure was happy to be flying electric!
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
5 years? And I thought I was a slow builder. Was it PNP?
Wooppppsss...Looking back in this thread it looks like I have only been working on it for 30 months . Anyhow it started as the white slope glider version, which I painted and used all the bits from my old well worn Moth, the LensRC motor has over 1000 flights on it and it still going....strongly....I am not sure but it still pulls her around OK. My old Curtek Lighting system cashed it in at some point so I installed a system from Tiny Bright Lights. Our house was robbed three years ago and the thieves took all of my Lipo packs (Least of my worries) so I just placed an order for some more packs yesterday. Hoping to get some favorable conditions for a maiden later on this week once I get my packs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Doug, did you snap a "famous" pic of a Mustang road racing? I always thought your named seemed familiar, but could never place it.
Probably did, I have many negatives of road racing & F1 photos stuffed in file cabinets. Interesting, my first exposure to RC flying was at Nelson Ledges in Warren, Ohio. I was participating in a regional SCCA race, and following the days activities, some driver came up with a biplane and flew it off the main straight! Little did I know way back then that I would get into the hobby. Compared to racing full scale sports cars, flying Tiger Moths has to be the best bargain in town!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
Doug

I use a Canon SLR with a 55 - 250 autofocus zoom lens and shoot on servo or burst mode. Thanks for the compliment!
This was one of the cameras I used back in my hay day. Actually used it to take pictures of my Moth in flight, before I owned it!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,275 Posts
Some camera and lens! I just use a reasonably inexpensive digital Canon SLR. Have an XSi and a T2, like the XSi for planes.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Hello All,
I am not sure if it is because of the age of my decals but they are having a hard time staying stuck to my painted wing and wondering about solutions. My first solution would be to see if I could get another set....thinking this might be difficult to impossible. Second idea would be to peel them off, very easy, and maybe spray some 3M 77 contact adhesive on them but I wonder if that will cause the sticker to not so smooth.

Any ideas?

Batteries are out for delivery today so if the wind cooperates Moth #4 will maiden this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
If you need a set of the stock details we have some. My gf used the American flags on ( Pico TM)hers. And did not use the rest. If you need them let me know.
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
Raising the dead...

I was looking for something the other day and ran across an old lensrc motor with an ips mount. It had not run for a long time.
I tried it again and it still did not. So I pulled the bell off. And saw a broken solder joint. So figuring I had nothing to lose I took a shot at resoldering that break. Long story short it works now!!

I also have a wrecked ptm here that crashed a couple of years ago. I never had the heart to throw it away. It is the old thin foam style. Well the motor has made me decide to try and bring it back to flight status.

So hopefully in a few weeks it will be back in the air too.
RCG Plus Member