SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I cut a backbone for the float the shape of the middle of the float and lenght of the float. Then I made foam formers and glued on each side of the backbone. It has other formers to make an egg crate form so it will mantain its shape while being covered. Then cover with liter bottle plastic. Just remember, the plastic only bends one way. You maybe able to get slight compound curve but not much. The top of my float is straight and curves down on each side. The float also has a flat bottom. Best thing about the float everything is free but glue and paint. Foam is from meat trays, plastic is used liter bottle, and legs for landing gear are popcycle sticks.
Thanks! It sure looks good. I'm finishing up another Tiger Moth... and I think I may put floats on it.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Thanks! It sure looks good. I'm finishing up another Tiger Moth... and I think I may put floats on it.
I make a lot of the parts I need by finding a paper model. I used the float of a paper model N9. I enlarge the model to the size I want and cut it out for pattern. I made the cowls for my "Tiger Moth" SPAD XI and Brequet 14 out of printed paper held together with masking tape on the inside. Next time I need a cowl I am going to make one by glueing the printed paper to liter bottle plastic. If it works the cowl will be much tuffer.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I make a lot of the parts I need by finding a paper model. I used the float of a paper model N9. I enlarge the model to the size I want and cut it out for pattern. I made the cowls for my "Tiger Moth" SPAD XI and Brequet 14 out of printed paper held together with masking tape on the inside. Next time I need a cowl I am going to make one by glueing the printed paper to liter bottle plastic. If it works the cowl will be much tuffer.
We used to have a young lady here who made TM cowlings out of plastic beer cups. They worked perfectly. Your builds remind me of when I bought those little Aero Ace airplanes. I'd rip everything out of it... and there was a thread here where people built all kinds of airplanes out of Depron and flew them with the Aero Ace motors and receiver. That was a lot of fun. I fastened everything together with clear Scotch tape.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:18 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Hi gang!

Apparently I'm still alive or something! "Young"? Thanks Buzz! Yes, I *used* to make one-piece pico TM cowls out of beer cups! Alas, I just sold pretty much the very last one to Lyle! The buck used to make them was shipped to Wes many moons ago, so if anyone's interested in giving this process (it's more art than science!) a shot, you might want to ping him and see if he's still got it

The system was relatively simple. I'd gotten a large balsa block about the size of the plastic moth cowl. I held the original cowl up to the block, marking the outline of it on the block, side and top, then after much cutting and shaping and sanding, I had a buck over which to form my new one-piece cowls. The bottom of the block was left rectangular and a frame was made to hold the top of the cup in place so it wouldn't shrivel up like a bbq'ed Yoda

The main issue with this process is that it was extremely difficult finding the right size of plastic beer cups. In order to pull the securing frame down over the cup, you needed to hold the cup in place while heat shrinking the base of the cup enough to work the frame down over it. Then came the worst part, working the heatgun over the plastic to shrink it over the buck without melting completely through the cup! Maintaining a relatively uniform thickness was very tricky I can tell you. If you managed this, a quick sanding would get rid of any remaining raised texture or cup details. Then you use a sharpie to mark the openings at the front of the cowl, as well as the trailing edge. Using a Dremel, manicure scissors and an x-acto allowed one to make all the necessary openings

Speaking of floats, a project of mine started a long long long time ago is finally taking shape over here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747363

Slowly but surely I'm getting back into the scene!

And lastly, speaking of moths, I've put the wheels back on Lil' Fishy as I'm sadly pretty sure float flying season is over for this year

Toodles!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:35 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Great to hear from you again, Kitty. Please stay in touch.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,192 Posts
It may be difficult finding the right size beer cup, but an enjoyable process non-the-less. Non-sequitur? No, referring to LedKitty's last post......just too lazy to quote.
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I do still have the buck and some of the right size cups. I cannot get to it right now. There had been some personal issues that made a move ( a while back)from where I had been living necessary. And so for now I am not able to get to it.
My GF now has her own ptm ready for maiden. So I am not the only one here who wants to find it!
Good to see you posting again Kitty!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:51 AM
Fix all the things!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2004
598 Posts
Hi guys and gals,

Just thought I'd poke my head and say hi! A new job in a new city, plus a few other life changes and I find myself looking back fondly at my time flying... It's been a while (4 years?) , but I'm back! No Tiger Moth at this stage, gliders are on my mind at the moment. I'll probably be picking up a Radian in the not too distant future. After that, who knows?

Pete
Ozprey is offline Find More Posts by Ozprey
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
Just checked back here for the first time in ages, and I see someone wants a Kitty Cowl. I went into the spare parts bin and guess what? Found a Kitty Cowl! The first one is still holding up fine, so if anyone's interested, let me know. Not sure how much I should ask for it, I want to at least cover shipping.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozprey View Post
Hi guys and gals,

Just thought I'd poke my head and say hi! A new job in a new city, plus a few other life changes and I find myself looking back fondly at my time flying... It's been a while (4 years?) , but I'm back! No Tiger Moth at this stage, gliders are on my mind at the moment. I'll probably be picking up a Radian in the not too distant future. After that, who knows?

Pete
Well, it's about time you showed up! Good to see you and Angelo again.

It's ok to have a glider.... but you HAVE to get another Tiger Moth!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Just checked back here for the first time in ages, and I see someone wants a Kitty Cowl. I went into the spare parts bin and guess what? Found a Kitty Cowl! The first one is still holding up fine, so if anyone's interested, let me know. Not sure how much I should ask for it, I want to at least cover shipping.
PM sent.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
O boy this thread is coming alive. IT'S ALIVE
Yes I still spreading the gospel of our little moth, and recuiting them.
I've found a yellow one at headsuprc. It has a brushed power system. They are out of the slope version. I'm thinking of getting it because I would like to have one hot rod version of the moth. I was thinking of the hurc motor for it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
I have a probleam- that its difficult to find 41mhz xtal, so is that any probleam if i use a 40.xx xtal in 41.xx xtal??
Sm692048 is offline Find More Posts by Sm692048
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O boy this thread is coming alive. IT'S ALIVE
Yes I still spreading the gospel of our little moth, and recuiting them.
I've found a yellow one at headsuprc. It has a brushed power system. They are out of the slope version. I'm thinking of getting it because I would like to have one hot rod version of the moth. I was thinking of the hurc motor for it.
I ordered a slope glider version from TowerHobbies few days ago...they had in stock for $29...its a good deal...but it comes in white color...so you will have to paint...
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
His and Hers Tigermoths

My GF Paula and I have our 2 ptms done. Mine ( yellow) has 3 flights on it now. Hers will be maidened Sunday weather permitting.
Both have Himax out runners and hk 9 gram servos.
Cowlings will come later.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.