HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:00 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,988 Posts
I guess it depends upon the individual. I've never flown either one. I have so many Moths I'd probably get shot if I brought another one in the house. I still haven't finished the Jenny, Wes.
Does anyone else h ave the 3D moth? I have it and the wings have no airfoil at all. They're just wide flat wings with HUGE ailerons. Doesn't fly like a regular moth at all.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
It very much depends on what the buyer is looking for. The one thing I think many would agree on though. GWS needs to make them all more available to buyers. Does not matter how good they are. If you cannot get one!

To me the 3d TM makes no sense at all. It is the opposite of what the TM ( real and model) is all about. I myself have never cared for flat plate type wings. I prefer an airfoiled wing for any type of flying. But again that is my preference. To each his own ( as it should be!)
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:45 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
It very much depends on what the buyer is looking for. The one thing I think many would agree on though. GWS needs to make them all more available to buyers. Does not matter how good they are. If you cannot get one!

To me the 3d TM makes no sense at all. It is the opposite of what the TM ( real and model) is all about. I myself have never cared for flat plate type wings. I prefer an airfoiled wing for any type of flying. But again that is my preference. To each his own ( as it should be!)
I don't like flying the 3D moth. It's too fast, and it's hard to fly. It just sits here and stares at me. But, it's the only TM I know of that will do nice smooth barrel rolls. All of the control surfaces are mammoth! Not the same plane at all.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,270 Posts
I have NO IDEA which 'kind' of Pico Moth I just got.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I have NO IDEA which 'kind' of Pico Moth I just got.
LMAO!! If it's the old version the wings will only be covered on the top. It should also come with the "IPS" motor. If it's white, you may have a slope glider... but it's just as good. Got a picture of it?

Buzz
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
The new style is only covered on top too. The difference is how thick the foam is. That is all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
The new style is only covered on top too. The difference is how thick the foam is. That is all.
Yeah, I was just looking at one on some Chinese site. It's a lot thicker foam.... and all this time I thought it had a full airfoil. I like the suspension system... but theres a Mini Tiger Moth out now too.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
I'm glad I still have 2 pico moth kits and a TN400 kit from several years back I can build. I have loved both sizes.
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:25 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
LMAO!! If it's the old version the wings will only be covered on the top. It should also come with the "IPS" motor. If it's white, you may have a slope glider... but it's just as good. Got a picture of it?

Buzz
It was white and a slope glider. I have no good pix from before I started painting it. I will say that the horizontal and vertical stabalizers etc. are very thin foam.

Here's where she is right now. Ailerons will also be black, whether I actually cut them in or not.

Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:46 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
That does look like it might be the old style.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:03 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,270 Posts
My other Moth is a 400, so I can't really compare them. But, whatever it is, it'll be in the sky soon (if my parts ever show up.)

Here's a close-up of the tail, if that helps.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
... theres a Mini Tiger Moth out now too.
Where, Where, Where ???? My micro fleet needs another biplane.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:16 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I had a GWS Moth (the IPS one) and was totally dissatisfied with it. The interplanes didn't do their job, and eventually the wings folded in mid-flight; I never did get to try a loop...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
I have had something around 2 dozen of the little fellas. Had a blast with all of them.
While not a Pitts pt Ultimate biplane. They did everything I ever asked of them. Short of running into something they never had a failure in flight. All but two of them built completely stock other then small brushless motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
PTM's In Stock!

Hello Everyone -- We still have a few of the white PTM's in stock, starting at $68.95 with brushless motor, custom mount, and stronger wheels. Versions are also available with servos, batteries, ESC, etc. Our "claim to fame" is that we supply the kit very nicely equipped with tested products that work well.

The "yellow" version appears to be no longer available from GWS. If you have your heart set on one, please note that you can easily paint your own using "Krylon Short Cuts" spray cans. Just lay the parts out on the newspaper-covered floor and spray. Takes all of maybe 10 minutes.

Check us out! Many of you have bought the kit, motors, etc. from us in the past. I'm guessing you are happy with us or we wouldn't still be around

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11