Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 02, 2012, 11:28 AM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
...There were many times that one string would break and with no throttle control.... the plane would just do continuous loops until it ran out of gas. Other times it was an immediate figure 9.
Ergo, the moniker on my avatar!

Aeronca
aeronca is offline Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Ergo, the moniker on my avatar!

Aeronca
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Pat Daily's Avatar
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,332 Posts
Yesterday
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
My Moth has been very patient, and understanding, what with all the emphasis lately on Micro Models at WWAerodrome and at the club field. Latest micro addition is the PKZ Pole Cat. So, just the other night, while futzing over a Mini-Mustang in the shop, I could have sworn I heard a "...ahem, ....ahem" emanating from where Moth was quietly swinging on her perch. Hmmm.....weather and time was just right, 7:00 PM, 68 degrees, and dead calm. Screw the UM Mustang, time for a ....MOTH FLIGHT!

As always, she flew beautifully, first flight using a 1000 mAh 2S I picked up at SEFF 2009 and had never used. The second flight was with the normally used TP 2S 1350, improved performance and flight time. Danged if I didn't hear that "ahem, ...ahem" again from Moth as she passed overhead. I didn't ask her to go for high altitudes this time out. The loss of Champ #1 is still fresh in everyone's mind, and I also need new glasses! So, the altitude max was held to a mere 270 feet. (Sorry, Buzz.... )

No doubt about it, Moth is still the matriarch of the aerodrome.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
My Moth has been very patient, and understanding, what with all the emphasis lately on Micro Models at WWAerodrome and at the club field. Latest micro addition is the PKZ Pole Cat. So, just the other night, while futzing over a Mini-Mustang in the shop, I could have sworn I heard a "...ahem, ....ahem" emanating from where Moth was quietly swinging on her perch. Hmmm.....weather and time was just right, 7:00 PM, 68 degrees, and dead calm. Screw the UM Mustang, time for a ....MOTH FLIGHT!

As always, she flew beautifully, first flight using a 1000 mAh 2S I picked up at SEFF 2009 and had never used. The second flight was with the normally used TP 2S 1350, improved performance and flight time. Danged if I didn't hear that "ahem, ...ahem" again from Moth as she passed overhead. I didn't ask her to go for high altitudes this time out. The loss of Champ #1 is still fresh in everyone's mind, and I also need new glasses! So, the altitude max was held to a mere 270 feet. (Sorry, Buzz.... )

No doubt about it, Moth is still the matriarch of the aerodrome.

RD
Go ahead. Rub it in. My moth doesn't fly over. It can only fly by.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
My moth doesn't fly over. It can only fly by.
Oh, so you got it wired!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,287 Posts
Hi, guys! After flying my original TM 400 for two years, and scratch-building a little one from FFF, I bought a Pico from Tower Hobbies the other day.

Few definite plans, but I'll be adding ailerons and relocating the battery for starters. I'm planning on using a 2712-17 motor on an 800 2S.

Thought I'd say, 'hi.'
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Few definite plans, but I'll be adding ailerons and relocating the battery for starters. I'm planning on using a 2712-17 motor on an 800 2S.
You may find the aileron modification will be somewhat in vain. Other's have tried it, and I can't recall any positive comments about the modification. OK on the motor and battery. I run a Feigao 1208436 brushless inrunner, mounted in the stock "A" gearbox, 9x7 prop. Battery is a 2S 1350 Lipo.

Good luck.

RDS
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,287 Posts
Typically, aileron mods fail because the wings have too much dihedral. Is that the case here?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:21 AM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
My pico flys the best light. adding another servo is just going to increase wing loading.
You say tower had the pico in stock?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,287 Posts
They did. It was $28.80 and I had a code/coupon for free shipping. This was the 'slope glider' version, with no landing gear.

Looking now, I see it's out of stock again.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2003
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Typically, aileron mods fail because the wings have too much dihedral. Is that the case here?
I think the main factor is the under-camber airfoil. People have added ailerons to the Slow Stick with little success, same problem. You'd need to mod the wing to a flat bottom airfoil to get any positive results.
The Pico Moth is best stock although I did make a steerable tail wheel and added flying wires.

I'm using the same set-up as doug mentioned above but with the E-Flite 2S-800. A bit overpriced but it's narrow enough to fit in the battery compartment though you do have to make it a bit wider.

I've wanted to try the TM 400 for a long time. I guess I better get one while they're still available...if they are.

David
dfemmert is offline Find More Posts by dfemmert
Last edited by dfemmert; May 26, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
ODB VI September 2014
1987tc's Avatar
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
I got the last two. One for me And one for my lady who wants to learn to build and fly.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 07:35 PM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,287 Posts
The 400 is a wonderful plane. Grab one. White(unpainted) airframes are $50.

I have successfully modded my Slow Stick with ailerons. :shrug:
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
The 400 is a wonderful plane. Grab one. White(unpainted) airframes are $50. :
I'm planning on staying with the Pico TM, glad I picked up an extra kit or two, both thin wing, the " orginal".

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GWS Tiger Moth thread - Part 28 Ozprey Parkflyers 2388 Apr 28, 2006 01:10 AM
GWS Tiger Moth story - Part 9 Martin Hunter Parkflyers 547 Jan 01, 2004 07:32 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 9 The Enemy Parkflyers 2 Dec 18, 2003 09:21 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 8 The Enemy Parkflyers 566 Dec 18, 2003 09:11 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 7 The Enemy Parkflyers 521 Dec 04, 2003 11:01 PM