Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Hi gang!

I'm still alive believe it or not! Still flying when the weather's not horrible, but alas Lil Fishy is on hangar queen duty as her gearbox was stolen to match the other one I found for my Dumas Rapide!

To get Fishy back in the air, I either have to locate a pinion gear (the little one that goes on the motor and the only thing I'm missing) to go with my 'A' spur gear, or... install that little silver wonder motor I have lying about.. not sure what the best prop for that would be on a 2S 520mAH pack... Hmm...

Anyhoo, HI!!!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Hi, Kitty!

You could look here;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...xes_Parts.html

My Rapide is still in its box. (Actually it is my 3rd Rapide, as the two original kits went up when the brushfire took our house of 48 years, back in '09. Those 2 were still in the box, also). Gonna have to scrape off the bench and build that beauty, one of these days!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Hi Lancer!

Long time no see buddy! This is the bit where I slap myself in the forehead... Hobbyking!!! Why didn't I think of them? There I was thinking IPS type gearboxes were going the way of DeLoreans!

I'll have to wait for my next HK order so I can pad it with some of those gears! I currently have an HK DH Vampire on order and the 4S pack to power it. And another order for the charger I'll need for it, because I only realized my charger only does 2S and 3S!

As you can tell, my mind has not been entirely functional lately!

I'll be sure to get y'all some pics of my Rapide as soon as by buddy Gerry finishes building it! Alas, I don't seem to have the buildspace or the patience to do anything more than ARTFs these days!

Happy Moth'ing!

K.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty View Post
Hi Lancer!

Long time no see buddy! This is the bit where I slap myself in the forehead... Hobbyking!!! Why didn't I think of them? There I was thinking IPS type gearboxes were going the way of DeLoreans!

I'll have to wait for my next HK order so I can pad it with some of those gears! I currently have an HK DH Vampire on order and the 4S pack to power it. And another order for the charger I'll need for it, because I only realized my charger only does 2S and 3S!

As you can tell, my mind has not been entirely functional lately!

I'll be sure to get y'all some pics of my Rapide as soon as by buddy Gerry finishes building it! Alas, I don't seem to have the buildspace or the patience to do anything more than ARTFs these days!

Happy Moth'ing!

K.
Well! It's about time you showed up! How's it goin? I'm trying to finish off 3 TM kits at the same time! Don't try it... Why not put a small B/L motor in yours? That's what I'm doing. (except for the 25' Moth).

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Well just about everything in my fleet is brushless powered now Buzz, save for my ParkZone micro mosquito! It's just a question of gearbox or no. I have one of those little 24g outrunners that should do the trick nicely!

It's great to see you too!

K.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
Well just about everything in my fleet is brushless powered now Buzz, save for my ParkZone micro mosquito! It's just a question of gearbox or no. I have one of those little 24g outrunners that should do the trick nicely!

It's great to see you too!

K.
I've just gotten to where I don't like the sound of a gearbox.. I think you gain flight ti me without a gearbox. Less rotating....blahh, blah, blah...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
See??? I was saying that years and years ago when Lil Fishy was powered by one of my DIY CD-rom outrunners! Everyone used to go on and on about the "quaint" sound of the gearboxes lol

Figures...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:49 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
See??? I was saying that years and years ago when Lil Fishy was powered by one of my DIY CD-rom outrunners! Everyone used to go on and on about the "quaint" sound of the gearboxes lol

Figures...
A lot of us from way back still think it's essential to have a gear box. Once I changed over to brushless direct drive.... I never looked back!

I need to finish the Moth's I'm working on now and get some video. I have a Jenny that is on the table too. Always too many projects to handle!

Buzz
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jan 2004
23 Posts
A short non-moth tale....On my way back to Laredo in '66, driving my not yet broken in MG Midget, I tried outrunning a Triumph Spitfire on a freeway through Arkansas....Got up to 85 mph as he passed me with embarrassing ease....then that 1275 cc mailbox seized up! Got back to SW Texas with a scoured (tic tic tic tic tic) piston. Definitely an "exotic car" to the shops available down there.....Ugh....
Now....the Moth....It runs around real nice inside on the floor. 36 degrees and slushy snow outside....Argh! I'll touch base back here when (if) the weather improves and, for the first time in a long while, another TM takes to the skies.
Ford
freefo is offline Find More Posts by freefo
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
This should do the trick!

I was incredibly lucky in affixing the foam block to the fuselage! I was having a conversation with someone as I was applying the epoxy, so my plan was the sit the block in position, put the cowl on, shift it if necessary to align the prop shaft with the main opening and hold it in place. By the time I got the cowl in place, the epoxy was almost set, amazingly, it was already lined up perfectly!

I stuck a small washer between the motor mount flange and the ply board in the right spot to give me a smidge of right and down thrust. Should be good!

Now I think I need a different prop adapter... I don't think I'd have much prop hub left after drilling it out to fit that! Now I'm still not sure what prop I can get away with with a 520mAH 2S and a 10A ESC, but those magnets are pretty strong, so I could probably torque a 9X7 around, although I may play it safe and move down to an 8" prop. Hmm...

K.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
This should do the trick!

I was incredibly lucky in affixing the foam block to the fuselage! I was having a conversation with someone as I was applying the epoxy, so my plan was the sit the block in position, put the cowl on, shift it if necessary to align the prop shaft with the main opening and hold it in place. By the time I got the cowl in place, the epoxy was almost set, amazingly, it was already lined up perfectly!

I stuck a small washer between the motor mount flange and the ply board in the right spot to give me a smidge of right and down thrust. Should be good!

Now I think I need a different prop adapter... I don't think I'd have much prop hub left after drilling it out to fit that! Now I'm still not sure what prop I can get away with with a 520mAH 2S and a 10A ESC, but those magnets are pretty strong, so I could probably torque a 9X7 around, although I may play it safe and move down to an 8" prop. Hmm...

K.
Hey, I like that. Put a 12" prop on it and the prop won't move but the plane will be spinning like crazy! Video! Video!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Oh come on Buzz!

It's not that big a motor! In fact, I think it's something close to this little thing:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

And now that I've looked at that page, assuming these motors are close enough...

"The GWS EP 9070 produces about 9.5 ounces of thrust at 7 amps with a pitch speed of 30 mph."

So there's my answer! Looks like I'll stick to my 9X7! 7A is A-OK in my books!

K.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
Oh come on Buzz!

It's not that big a motor! In fact, I think it's something close to this little thing:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

And now that I've looked at that page, assuming these motors are close enough...

"The GWS EP 9070 produces about 9.5 ounces of thrust at 7 amps with a pitch speed of 30 mph."

So there's my answer! Looks like I'll stick to my 9X7! 7A is A-OK in my books!

K.
Heh Heh..... See, you talked yourself into buying it. But you solve the prop adapter problem. $12 is a good deal. Yeah, looks like the trusty 9x7 will work on it also. I know how you found it. It's that "Woman's Shopping Gene" at work.
lol
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Why would I buy a new motor when I just installed that one?

No no.. it's shopping mAdNeSS Buzz! And when that happens, it's things like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20580
that I buy!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,652 Posts
Kitty,

If that is a standard 3mm shaft, we carry a small collet adapter that would work well.
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob