HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 16, 2006, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Lorance66's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssling
Now that I am flying rather than crashing the TM, I got brave. Got a little too low on a turn, caught the wing, and the one side of the prop snapped. When I removed the cowling and replaced the blades (I got good at that with the IFO) I noticed there was a noticeable bend in the propeller shaft that I was not able to straighten out using the pliers. Since I had four bad crashes when setting the TM up, I suspect it came from flying into a wall rather than this little wing tip tumble from 6 inches. I also noticed that there is virtually no wobble where the propeller attaches. Would you suggest I put on the prop and continue to fly (I am assuming there won't be a problem) or should I bite the bullet, take the motor out, and replace the shaft. I am guessing many of you have already encountered this issue, and I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Hey SSling......I don't know how bad it is bent but I used to always just replace mine when they bent. I used to have a Himax brushless in a GWS gearbox on my 3D foamy and I wrecked that thing so much I kept extra shafts on hand. They are easy to replace and very cheap. I think they are only a couple of bucks each. Not that I wouldn't try to re-bend it if I were in a pinch. I just do whatever it takes to be able to fly!

good luck with it bud.

Brad
Lorance66 is offline Find More Posts by Lorance66
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2006, 10:40 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Well, um.....that's the price of fame!


Dang, I'll be out of business if you do that!


And if she peaks out at 17-1/2 feet, what then???

RD
LMAO! No worries... it will always be the "25 ft. Moth". If it peaks out at 17.5 ft. I'm just going to buy nothing but planes from Wal Mart.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:10 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
TeamTEOR's Avatar
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Wow, How did I miss the old thread being closed, here I am thinking that The Moth flyers are all out flying non stop and had no time to post.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wrongway Feldman
flew2high's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts
Ok, so there I am, blissfully epoxying a cf reinforcement rod on the top wing of my TM3d, smoking a nice CAO CX2....and you can all guess what happens next...that ash that had been hanging on for dear life (it really wasn't THAT long, as cigar ashes go..) finally let go right over the wing! The perfectly round dime-sized melted spot that remained was easily fixed with a patch cut from scrap foam, but the scar remains. I'll just tell people it's a battle wound...
flew2high is offline Find More Posts by flew2high
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 03:34 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flew2high
Ok, so there I am, blissfully epoxying a cf reinforcement rod on the top wing of my TM3d, smoking a nice CAO CX2....and you can all guess what happens next...that ash that had been hanging on for dear life (it really wasn't THAT long, as cigar ashes go..) finally let go right over the wing! The perfectly round dime-sized melted spot that remained was easily fixed with a patch cut from scrap foam, but the scar remains. I'll just tell people it's a battle wound...
I'm sorry to laugh.... but that is funny! I guess it's a good thing it was an electric. Better to burn a hole in the wing than to have that fireball drop in a can of nitro fuel! Be a man! Post a picture for us! LMAO!!! That story, on top of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Wow, How did I miss the old thread being closed, here I am thinking that The Moth flyers are all out flying non stop and had no time to post.
HAHAHAHA! Were you just sitting there watching the thread that ended?
Yep, all of us stopped posting at the same time back on that thread just to try to confuse you!


Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Wrongway Feldman
flew2high's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
I'm sorry to laugh.... but that is funny! I guess it's a good thing it was an electric. Better to burn a hole in the wing than to have that fireball drop in a can of nitro fuel! Be a man! Post a picture for us! LMAO!!!


Buzz
See below...

Notice the fact this happened during the build!! There's nothing more annoying than damage taken before maiden flight...
flew2high is offline Find More Posts by flew2high
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:23 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssling
Now that I am flying rather than crashing the TM, I got brave. Got a little too low on a turn, caught the wing, and the one side of the prop snapped. When I removed the cowling and replaced the blades (I got good at that with the IFO) I noticed there was a noticeable bend in the propeller shaft that I was not able to straighten out using the pliers. Since I had four bad crashes when setting the TM up, I suspect it came from flying into a wall rather than this little wing tip tumble from 6 inches. I also noticed that there is virtually no wobble where the propeller attaches. Would you suggest I put on the prop and continue to fly (I am assuming there won't be a problem) or should I bite the bullet, take the motor out, and replace the shaft. I am guessing many of you have already encountered this issue, and I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks
Ssling, isn't it great when your flying gets to where the airplane pretty much goes where you want it to, and you aren't stressing about it? When most of your flights end with a planned landing and an airplane that's ready to fly again? With a little practice the pico moth is just like that to fly. When I get a bent prop shaft, I take it off and roll it on a piece of glass to find the high spot, then mark that spot and put the shaft on a scrap of plywood and tap the high spot with a hammer and stick of wood held like a chisel. That way I don't mess up the threads. With a little practice I'll bet you can get it straight enough that you really can't tell the difference from a new one. But watch out for stripped teeth on the nylon spur gears. Sometimes a tooth or two will get mushed down into the slot (there must be a better name for it) between the teeth and keep the gearbox from running smoothly. You can often scrape enough of the nylon out with an exacto knife to get it to run again. I try to keep a pretty good supply of spare parts around.
So, congratulations on your flying, and keep that moth in the air!
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flew2high
See below...

Notice the fact this happened during the build!! There's nothing more annoying than damage taken before maiden flight...
Flew2high... thanks for posting that! You did a nice little repair though. Just tell people that's a plug for a secret compartment, and nobody but you can know what's in there. I think since this happened during the build, you'll have no crashes when you fly it. Good luck with it.... it still looks great!

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 01:38 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flew2high
Ok, so there I am, blissfully epoxying a cf reinforcement rod on the top wing of my TM3d, smoking a nice CAO CX2....and you can all guess what happens next...that ash that had been hanging on for dear life (it really wasn't THAT long, as cigar ashes go..) finally let go right over the wing! The perfectly round dime-sized melted spot that remained was easily fixed with a patch cut from scrap foam, but the scar remains. I'll just tell people it's a battle wound...
Well I tilted my Alfa Corsair tail over on a hot soldering iron while building it so dont feel too bad!

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 09:43 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,351 Posts
If the truth be known....... I was using a soldering iron on the kitchen counter. Yeah, it was a disaster! I knocked a roll of paper towels over on the hot soldering iron and before I knew it I was running around with a torch of flame! Into the kitchen sink where it was finallly put out. I opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fans in every room... but it was too late. My wife came in to the tune of all of the smoke detectors going off...and just stared at me. "What have you done now?!" I get that question a lot. As you can imagine, she was not thrilled. I am now banned from building anything in the kitchen. So, I took that to mean I didn't have to cook anymore. Wrong.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,468 Posts
Buzz,

LMAO - you should have a TV show! Maybe an updated version of "The Life of Riley"!

Aeronca
aeronca is online now Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca
Buzz,

LMAO - you should have a TV show! Maybe an updated version of "The Life of Riley"!

Aeronca
It's all true too! That was nothing compared to the time I set a forest fire with a jet assisted takeoff idea. Or the time I put a 9ft glider through some guy's screened in pool enclosure and straight into the deep end of his pool. I could go on and on. What was the name of that cartoon? Where a guy named "Blevitz"...something like that... had his own personal rain cloud over his head all the time? Maybe Lil Abner or something.... anyway, that's me! If it's gonna happen.....it's gonna happen to me! I guess I'm the Tim Allen type.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 03:57 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Basketcase's Avatar
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Ha ha, it was Lil' Abner. His name was Joe Btfsplk. You'd have some ways to go before equaling him Buzz. But it does sound like you're pretty close to Tim the Toolman. Now lets get more power in that 25' Tigermoth. Unnh, unnh!!

JOE BTFSPLK is very simply the world's biggest jinx. He walks around with a perpetually dark rain cloud a foot over his head. Once he appears on any scene, dreadfully bad luck befalls anyone in his vicinity.

Though well-meaning and gentle, his reputation inevitably precedes him, so Joe is a very lonely and feared little man.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Awoo, Awoo, Awoo, more power!!

[QUOTE=Buzz I guess I'm the Tim Allen type. [/QUOTE]
Well if you are, consider the attached for your 25 ft. Moth!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 05:46 PM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,468 Posts
Buzz,

Tim Allen - of course! Why didn't I think of him? Put a Binford 9000 brushless on that TM and you'll get higher than 25'!

Aeronca
aeronca is online now Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GWS Tiger Moth thread - Part 28 Ozprey Parkflyers 2388 Apr 28, 2006 01:10 AM
GWS Tiger Moth story - Part 9 Martin Hunter Parkflyers 547 Jan 01, 2004 07:32 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 9 The Enemy Parkflyers 2 Dec 18, 2003 09:21 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 8 The Enemy Parkflyers 566 Dec 18, 2003 09:11 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 7 The Enemy Parkflyers 521 Dec 04, 2003 11:01 PM