HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:26 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,240 Posts
I wish I could answer that question. That's why I mentioned I baby sit the stuff, wiping away excess as it expands. I still use way too much, and that stuff is messy, and nearly impossible to work. Anything abrasive just gets gummed up, and trying to carve it usually leavs me hunting for band-aids. I try to only use it for damage repair in foamies that have "crush damage" that can't be repaired any other way.

If you look closely, you can see TE has some clear tape over the joint, likely to hold down the expansion.

I've heard of people pre mixing it with some water in a little cup, and allowing it to do MOST of it's expansion, then spooning it into where you need it. You lose some of the gap filling properties, but if you do it just right, you'll still get a little expansion to help fill voids, but not enough to make a big mess.

BTW, GG now has "quick cure" glue that, in the bottle, looks white. It's still a funny "off" color when it sets, though.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
ah thank you for the pics.

I have a bottle of GG in the wood working shop- would be great to be able to use that instead of having to buy more epoxy. my question for you is--- how much would you add to the joint? I know that GG expands(quite a bit) if not compressed, how do you ensure that it doesn't spill out of the seem?

thanks
Packaging tape keeps the GG where you want it..... mostly... and can be removed after glue has cured. Don't use too much and do mix it with a bit of water (couple of drops) to activate it.
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:20 AM
Joined Mar 2009
44 Posts
Yea,
I flew my TM for the first time today. What a great plane. Thanks to all here as I used many of the tips to build it. One question for now. I have the Hextronik 1300kv motor and it seems to run smooth and have plenty of power on a 7.4v 900mah battery. It does not like to start up though. It stutters and often stops when I throttle up. It doesn't seem to start at all unless at full throttle. Is this normal and is there a fix? Not sure my battery is totally up as I haven't figured out the programming on the turnigy accel-6 lipo charger yet so maybe that is it. Seems to fly with plenty of power.
Mathrips is offline Find More Posts by Mathrips
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:45 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathrips View Post
Yea,
I flew my TM for the first time today. What a great plane. Thanks to all here as I used many of the tips to build it. One question for now. I have the Hextronik 1300kv motor and it seems to run smooth and have plenty of power on a 7.4v 900mah battery. It does not like to start up though. It stutters and often stops when I throttle up. It doesn't seem to start at all unless at full throttle. Is this normal and is there a fix? Not sure my battery is totally up as I haven't figured out the programming on the turnigy accel-6 lipo charger yet so maybe that is it. Seems to fly with plenty of power.
Double-check that all your solder connections are solid. Sometimes that's the issue. You may also try different "timing" settings on your esc, or you may have just gotten a bum motor. Every once in a while, one of those motors just doesn't want to run, for various reasons.

If you find that you can't get it to run, no matter what, don't throw it away. There are sections here on RCG on how to rewind and improve that motor.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:12 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,771 Posts
Accucel charger.

Mathrips, that charger is very good, but not necessesarily intuitive to use.
Once you figure it out, you will love the simplicity of it.
Be sure & look at the charger carefully, in good light, as they used dark-brown ink on a black case, for some of the legends, and they are easy to miss. Using only a few buttons to do several different functions always confuses me, but if you persist, it will become clear.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,130 Posts
Fantastic video, RD! Call that number and get us a ride!!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Yup, I put tape over the GG to hold the expansion... Still needs a little babysitting to keep it smooth, but totally worth it in the end. I usually end up leaving the tape on anyway.
Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,130 Posts
Gorrilla Glue sounds a lot like what we used to use. It needed water to activate it, and it expanded. Anyone remember Pro Bond? You mixed it with a few drops of water and made a paste... then applied it with the same expansion problem. But the tape over the fillets kept it from getting out. Do they still make Pro Bond?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:50 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,470 Posts
yup they still make it. I have used probond before. A little goes a loooooong way!
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Odb vi
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:04 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,148 Posts
Doug

Thanks for posting the great Tiger Moth video--it is like watching the full size version of one of my moths. Really enjoyed it.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Don Srull's BE-2
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:57 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
Doug

Thanks for posting the great Tiger Moth video--it is like watching the full size version of one of my moths. Really enjoyed it.

Boy, the silver one really does look like the one in the video. I want to buy a ride in one! Does anyone know of a place where you can do such a thing?
I've been up in B-25's, a B24, B-17 and a Texan. But my life won't be complete until I get a ride in a Tiger Moth! I think Corey is the only one I know of whose flown in one.

Buzz
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:11 AM
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Boy, the silver one really does look like the one in the video. I want to buy a ride in one! Does anyone know of a place where you can do such a thing?
I've been up in B-25's, a B24, B-17 and a Texan. But my life won't be complete until I get a ride in a Tiger Moth! I think Corey is the only one I know of whose flown in one.

Buzz
Hi Buzz.

May be worth a quick drive North to these fellows :
http://www.classicaircraft.ca/

On the other hand, maybe you could buy your own :
http://www.tigermoth82c.com/

Regards,
John
yukon john is offline Find More Posts by yukon john
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:57 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,840 Posts
Quote:

Buzz
Back in the 60s, I managed to get a few hours in as a P2 in a couple. The club that I belonged to (Biggin Hill) had some that were leased from 'The Tiger club' that were based at Red Hill. Loverly and easy to fly.
I remember as a kid that I was going with my Mother to the seaside resort Brighton on the south coast. As we went past Croydon airport. There lined up in their hundreds were Yellow TMs. That, I have since learnt were there to be sold off.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:35 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Quote:

Buzz
Come on up! I'm sure you could be here in about 10hours the way that Porsche moves...

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:08 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy View Post
Come on up! I'm sure you could be here in about 10hours the way that Porsche moves... Corey
That's only if he drives in low gear all the way. In top gear, probably about 4-1/2 hours, after hearing how HE drives!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac