Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:26 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
OMFG! GEIJIN!!! Hehehehehe AWESOME!

Great clock! I'll PM you!

K.

p.s. But not tonight! Jess is making me play NeoPets games again!

p.p.s. Gang, I've opened the box, and the wings are PURRFECT! Need to get the airbrush prepped and the fishification begins!
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:34 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
WHOOT Kitty!!!! Enjoy neopets for now.

As for my Moth...
I just took off my bell from the CDRom motor, it was making some noise WOT. It seems that the bearing is turning a black color (assuming that is a heat condition). Hmmmm.... Maybe I need to find my GBX kits and work on the shaft. I shimmed it with a washer and it feels smooth, but something is still off. Maybe, it is pulling off when it is WOT and that gives it enough play to rattle, I'll look at the mags and stator in the morning to see if they are worn at all. I am starting to think about putting a GWS 3mm shaft through it so I can use an E-Clip on the rear to keep it from pulling too far forward.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Sep 13, 2006, 03:11 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Kitty, So sorry to hear of the shootings in Dawson College in your city. I hope the toll doesn't increase as time goes by. Gun control in Canada is so strict, yet bad guys can still get firearms. A shame.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:23 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Thank you Rich. It's freaking crazy. I know some feel very strongly about their right to bear arms, but if you ask me, the simple truth is that guns make it easier for cowards to kill people. If no one had them, it would not be a freakin' issue The bloody things make swords look civilized by comparison!

I've got a good number of friends studying at Dawson. Thank goodness they weren't there when that maniac was.

Latest news is that the gunman is indeed dead, and one 18yr old girl...

K.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:22 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I never got into guns, but I love archery. Kinda wish there was a range that was closer to home tho. Almost makes me want to open up a shop.

I am pretty happy with this CDRom motor, but even after a little adjustment, and fine tuning, it is not making me happy. Anyone know where I can order up a 3mm drill bit blank from or just a longer 3mm shaft.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:44 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Led, I'm glad to hear no one you knew was there at the time. Sucks about the girl, though. Why do these nutjobs have to take someone else out with them when they finaly decide to crack up?

teamTEOR, you may not have much luck on a drillbit blank, but you might have some luck with a long shanked 3mm drill bit, and cut off the bladed end. Other things you could try are a 3mm shouldered bolt, probably the easiest to get. Or 3mm piano wire. Actualy, you might be able to use Carbon Fiber tube, as long as the bearings were real roller bearings.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Tom, perhaps this will help. Attached you will see a pic of my CDR mount. I basically used the original IPS gearbox and shaft. The front plate of the gearbox has been replaced by a custom PCB made by Sonic1. I've also used CF front plates as well. This motor is BULLETPROOF. I've dorked it in so many times I've lost count, and the worst problems I have had is a slight bend in the shaft (easily fixable) and the stator once popped loose off the plate which was quickly fixed with a little CA. Sometimes the bell has come loose from the shaft, a bit of JB Weld and you're good to go.

During assembly, I ground the splines off the shaft by mouting it in a drill and going at it with a Dremel. I then put it through the motor and the whole gearbox in fact, such that I could secure it with the original washer and lock, pushed the bell on, marking it's location, then I removed the shaft and bell, and JB Welded the two together. I also removed the rear bearing assembly from the stator to reduce friction, relying only on the front bearing assembly, and the one at the back of the gearbox. Runs true as can be. Haven't seen Jeff, aka: Sonic1 on the thread in a while, but a PM in the right direction might help

Cheers,

K.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkskunk
Led, I'm glad to hear no one you knew was there at the time. Sucks about the girl, though. Why do these nutjobs have to take someone else out with them when they finaly decide to crack up?

teamTEOR, you may not have much luck on a drillbit blank, but you might have some luck with a long shanked 3mm drill bit, and cut off the bladed end. Other things you could try are a 3mm shouldered bolt, probably the easiest to get. Or 3mm piano wire. Actualy, you might be able to use Carbon Fiber tube, as long as the bearings were real roller bearings.
Kitty, I didn't catch what went on over there on the news yet, but it doesn't sound good. Glad to hear your budds are ok.

Drunkskunk, I might just change the motor out. There are other ways to skin this problem. I found something as light and I hope it is a drop in fit. Thanks for the ideas tho.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:33 AM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
TeamTEOR,
The rails that the cdrom drawer ride on are 3mm polished and as hard as drill rod. They are abour 4 inches long. Some scrap drives have 1 and some have 2. Best of all they are free, go to your local computer repair guy. I have taken drives apart for just these because I build my motors from GoBrushless kits.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
What size/brand CD motor is that? I was going to use a GWS 2208/18, but I'm going to have to rethink the 3.5oz battery and 1.2 oz motor. Kitty Bug is getting heavy. 12oz!

A friend of mine came over the other day to help me setup my airbrush, and saw what I was working on.
"Whats that?" she asked.
"A Tiger Moth."
"Whats a tiger moth?"
"an airplane."
"Oh. what kind of airplane?"
"A Tiger Moth."
"Fine, have fun with your little kitty bug."

I can be a real smart @$$ sometimes, and now my plane has a name.

And for you artist out there, I have another question. I can't figure out the top wing paint scheam. the rest of the plane has nice soft paint edges, but the TM front wing's design doesn't look like it should be done with soft edges. any sugestions as to how to do the top pattern?

Here's a bad(blurry) shot of how K.B. sits now:
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:50 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
For the top wing, just lay out the solid black triangle-ish/rectangular-ish/losenze-ish shapes, making sure to leave a uniform yellow border around the outer edge (the space between the shapes should be about the same). If you lay the shapes out right, you can give the illusion of the wings being wider at the tips than at the roots. Once you've got those shapes layed out, go back and do thin yellow lines within the black panels as per the actual TM wings. Does that make any sense?

Alternately just do what I do, and make sure you have a picture of the real tiger moth handy, turn off your brain and just paint away til it looks about the same

K.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:15 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Thanks again guys and gals. I was kinda like, DUH when I though of using a GWS EPS shaft. The other idea of rading some old CDRom drives is a good one too. I'll remember that as stuff breaks around here. We will see where this all takes me today. Kitty, I missed that post at 10:33pm, and promptly fell asleep on the laptop after that. Thanks again everyone.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:08 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
TeamTEOR, I was just at the LHS on lunch, and found they sold replacement 3mm brushless shafts for like $2.45. I don't remember the brand, but it was a white tag with red lettering.

Ledkitty, the "turning off the brain" part is were I think I'm hosing myself up. I'm over thinking it. Maybe I should try painting it in a condition other sober?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Well, if that is how you painted the first half, I would say go for it!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:31 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Wait... 12oz? @_@ How come she's so heavy DS? I hope that's AUW and even then! I'm going to have to see what Lil' Fishy weighs when I get her all back together... now if only I could remember how much dihedral I'm supposed to put into those wings... Fuse is all good now, just a question of getting those wings done!

I'm also cludging together two very used and abused E-Starters into a one-of-a-kind LedKitty special It's really weird reading the restoration articles in The Aeroplane while cutting out the bad sections of the better E-Starter and replacing them with sections cut out of the other then sanding it all nice and smooth. Cowls are long gone so I'm probably going to do a custom radial style job for it. And lights. And cool paint job. I'm thinking two-tone silver... Yes, I know, I'm sick

Oh, and if that weren't bad enough, I've been having a lot of trouble concentrating on my builds ever since I picked up that 9.5gram PiccoZ heli at Walmart... flying in my cluttered living room has never been easier!

K.