to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
How to Get Great Vertical Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Hi Guys, I ready to put together my 3rd TM and really love my last 2. Want to upgrade, dare I say, to a brushless. What are your recommendations.

DAF
The feigao 120 IPS replacement motor (@balsa products) works fine with the stock IPS gearbox (B ratio and 9x7prop) if you keep it around 4 amps on a 3 cell Lipo. 450 maH E-Tec Lipo gives 15-18 minute flights. After many flights mine still goes nearly vertical. When the batteries were new it would go straight up, but not spectacularly. Which leads to:
I've used a feigao 130 (1308422S, I think) 10 amp motor on my PT-17. (now only $16 for the motor) It weighs less than the GWS 350C that some people use on Pico Tiger Moths. With a 15C or 20C 3 cell Lipo, say 650-800 mAh I think the vertical would be stunning (not at all truly Tiger-Mothish) but perhaps it would still be able to fly relatively slowly and maybe get 15 minute flights. This is one I would brace the wings on for sure.
Has anyone tried this motor? I've got 2 PTM slope gliders still in the boxes, and want to try a more interesting paint job. Tough to have to work for a living.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old May 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Great Pictures, Corey!

I bet it was one of those days never to be forgotten. I've never flown in a biplane. You know, I think I should remedy that. Thanks for posting.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old May 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Great Pics Corey! Thanks for posting.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Corey

You're a lucky lucky man. I'm envious.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old May 13, 2006, 02:46 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Thanks guys, it truly was amazing. I'min the middle of uploading a video to my Putfile account. I'll post a link here in a couple mins. Not for the bandwidth challenged though...

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old May 13, 2006, 02:57 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
The video link... http://media.putfile.com/Bipes

Corey
Old May 13, 2006, 04:31 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,765 Posts
GREAT video, Corey! I think I enjoyed your flight almost as much as you did, you lucky dog! The best I can do right now is fly in a PT-17. Still cool, but I have no idea how to edit tape if I did get it. Are you using the windows video editing program?

I want to learn to edit video anyway because I'm trying to find some place, preferably a race track, to run the Porsche flat out. It's supposed to go 187... I want to try it, but I can't find any place long enough. I'd need like, 10 or 15 miles of straight road. Top number is 157 so far.... but none of it has been edited because I don't know how to do it. (?)
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 14, 2006, 01:34 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Corey, you are a lucky lucky man

Those pics! That vid! Left me breathless! ^_^

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old May 14, 2006, 06:54 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Glad to see you have a good day Corey, one of the nice things to happen for you, thanks for sharing.

Mark.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old May 14, 2006, 10:23 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Wow Corey I think Richard Bach said.. 'Everyone should have the chance to view the world framed by the wings of a biplane'.

Anyone in the Chicago area check out WWW.RedBaronRides.Com. Located at Schaumburg airport and the food at Pilot Pete's is great.
Rick
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old May 14, 2006, 12:21 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Buzz,

I use my digital camera to take the video, and then put it on the computer and edit with Windows Movie Maker... That simple. No format changes, nothing. The program makes it so easy, all you do is import, cut and paste.

What format are you using?

Corey
Old May 14, 2006, 03:06 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy
Buzz,

I use my digital camera to take the video, and then put it on the computer and edit with Windows Movie Maker... That simple. No format changes, nothing. The program makes it so easy, all you do is import, cut and paste.

What format are you using?

Corey
That's what I was hoping you'd say. I need to add more memory so I will have a lot of video to edit. My son has a Cannon 20-D SLR digital and I think it has more memory than my computer. He's also got it rigged up so he stores all of his photos and video on his Ipod.

As for format... I always want to say .JPG so people with Macs can view them too.... but I believe .wmv would be best.

Thanks for the info. My old Sony Mavica digital cam will record video and audio.... but only for a bit over 30 seconds. I'll see what I can do.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 14, 2006, 03:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
That's what I was hoping you'd say. I need to add more memory so I will have a lot of video to edit. My son has a Cannon 20-D SLR digital and I think it has more memory than my computer. He's also got it rigged up so he stores all of his photos and video on his Ipod.

As for format... I always want to say .JPG so people with Macs can view them too.... but I believe .wmv would be best.

Thanks for the info. My old Sony Mavica digital cam will record video and audio.... but only for a bit over 30 seconds. I'll see what I can do.

Buzz
Buzz,
For my airplane Vids and pics my old Finepix S602 was great! The only problem was the movie mod didn't allow zooming while filming. Also it was 3MP that the camera interpolated to make 6MP files. So I decided to upgrade. First was the Panasonic DMZ FZ-30-8MP 12X Zoom. Pics were great but I didn't like the video so I sold it. Next was the Canon S2-SI - 5MP. Fantastic Video mode with Stereo sound but view finder was so small Jackie couldn't shoot video.... just Sold it. Tomorrow the one I should have ordered to begin with will arrive Fuji S9000 with the same great viewfinder with better color and higher pixel count and high refresh rate - 9MP and 10.6X Zoom which doubles in movie mode allowing zooming while filming from 28mm to over 600. With the high speed 4GB high speed CF Card I have a little over 60 minutes of video at hi-res 640 X 480 at full motion 30fps! Sample pics are great right upto 800 ISO and movies are good to 1600! Videos will be posted again on my website first good flying day!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 14, 2006, 06:58 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Hehe Buzz,

I used to have the 30second limit on my vids also! I can't remember the Mavica I played with, but on mine I got around this problem by going from a 640x480 video to a 320x240. The vid now goes for about 4-5mins before needing to save and start again!

FWIW, my camera has a 1GB SD card. I can take either WAY over 999sec of video at full res (640x480) or I can take ~620 pictures. My camera is a 3.2MP Cannon Powershot A510...

Corey

(Boomer, you have ALL the toys you lucky dog!)