SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2006, 07:27 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Boomer
Looks like fun!! Glad he's changing the tires though. The ones on there don't do it justice.
You thought climbing in and out of the moterhome was tough on your legs! A few times climbing in and out of Jay's new toy may require some new joints in your knees.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2006, 09:19 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
I used to be able to hold my radio in my left hand and swat bugs,.. Now I'll be able to do that again!!!
Please be careful when you do this. A moth is officially considered an insect!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:20 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Hmm.....nobody around since last night?

Had a ho-hum flight with my Moth this evening, to see if the vent "system" is working. When I went back to flying the Moth with the cowl on it, the heat sink would get rather hot. So, I cut vents in the cowl, hopefully to get an extraction effect. Also cut out some foam from the "battery department" to promote further venting of hot air. It appeared to work a couple of weeks ago. Thought I would try it again and check for temperature. Seems like the "system" is working fine. Relatively a short flight, 19 min 15 seconds, to an altitude of 497 feet. Ambient temperature was 76. The heat sink was barely warm. Think I will stay with this arrangement. 9x7 SF prop, stock IPS "A" power system, TP 1320 2S1P blue stripe LiPo. Rather pedestrian but effective. Still thinking about trying that Feiago on the shelf. Just need an appropriate brushless ESC.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:43 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Just reporting here that the replaced rudder servo did the trick!! Thanks for the help folks. The rudder centers true every time now, no hunting or false centering.

Do servos fail like this often? All of my servos are GW or Hitec and the oldest are 14 months or so.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Just reporting here that the replaced rudder servo did the trick!! Thanks for the help folks. The rudder centers true every time now, no hunting or false centering.

Do servos fail like this often? All of my servos are GW or Hitec and the oldest are 14 months or so.

Paul
When they do it is usually caused by stress on the servo from a crash, moving the arm manually or forgetting to turn on the TX first and servos go past full deflection.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Sep 03, 2006, 12:15 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Boomer, that explaines it. Tho i haven't smacked my TM up, I did use those servos last winter in a plane that had a rough life!! They were in a foamfly frog that got it's tail section ripped off by a mean set of power lines.

Waiting to hear what you think about the Shinden.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Sep 03, 2006, 12:25 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Waiting to hear what you think about the Shinden.

Paul
Hopefully tomorrow morning.
boomer
Old Sep 03, 2006, 01:47 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
nah, I have picos and naros that are 3+ years old. It is all in how bad they get abused. I thought that s75 servos were pretty bad as I had a set of them fail, supposedly they were just from the first batch released. However I have a set of 4 now on one plane with no problems. Sometimes you just get a bad one as well.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Sep 03, 2006, 02:30 AM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
Speaking of s75's. I saw this 4 pack for $20 and thought they would work in my coming TM 3d. Seems outrageously cheap (inexpensive). Are there cheap knockoff POS's floating around the internet or are they all made by the same company? I've also seen some planes using stronger servos for some controls and weaker on others. Is there a general rule for this?

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=154010

Thanks,
ralph
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Sep 03, 2006, 02:47 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Blister packs are shipped with the DX6 radios. Makes me wonder......
Old Sep 03, 2006, 03:06 AM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
I've emailed them asking about availability. for that price i'll give them a try. Every one I've looked at on the net looks exactly the same with the same accessories. Only diff is they're $14 each!

I've also seen dx6 radios advertised without servos. Maybe that's where they come from???

Ralph
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:30 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Just want to be sure I have the correct heat sinc. The package says "EHS-12" on it. It is a VERY tight fit on the motor and is a tiny bit too long for the gearbox opening (I slid the motor out, but the heat sinc would not quite slide into the "gap".)

thanks,
Eric
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Sep 08, 2006, 12:15 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Eric I had the same problem, and I never found a fix, I guess I could have used a dremel to take some meat off of the heat sink, but that defeats the purpose. I chose in the long run not to use it. I would be interested in hearing a fix for that as well. I would still like to use a sink on my Feigao 12mm motor inside the IPS box.
Old Sep 08, 2006, 12:25 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
Just want to be sure I have the correct heat sinc. The package says "EHS-12" on it. It is a VERY tight fit on the motor and is a tiny bit too long for the gearbox opening (I slid the motor out, but the heat sinc would not quite slide into the "gap".)

thanks,
Eric
File or grind off to fit and be sure and use heat paste when you put it on! Heat paste is available from Radio Shack.
boomer
Old Sep 08, 2006, 08:35 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
or do what I do...small piece of sandpaper to the rear and forward area of the GB it's usually about 1/2 mm or less on either side; and plastic is easier to sand than metal is to file

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy