HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:10 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Hi Buzz, excellent video. You have a great yard, it takes a brave man to fly anything there, with all the plane eating trees lurking about. Tell your wife that her work on the yard looks very nice.

The bump into the camera and keep flying, and the hand catch at the end were great touches.

Wayne
Seconds on the nice yard and it does take some "bravery" (or something) to fly there! But you won't run out of storage space for your airplanes--just keep a few in the trees at all times.

Wayne, also a good video and very nice flying site. Just wondering, if your camera did come loose with the string going over the wing TE, wouldn't your cg shift aft? If the string went around the LE, cg would shift fwd. Just my 2 cents. The way you put the velcro it looks solid as a rock. I finished looking at all the TM pix you posted links to. Think next moth will probably be yellow and green sunburst.
Also picked up a small, thin $20 fixed focus digital camera at WalMart that has 640 x 480 resolution. Looks like it would velcro on to a PTM right under the wing. I'll post some pix of it later.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:12 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
She knows I'm not normal.
Nope, na-da, absolutely no way.............I'm keeping my big pretentious mouth CLOSED!!

Buzz: What kind of camera did you use for this video? Is it a regular camcorder or a still camera with video capability? My new Canon Power Shot S3IS has video capability but I have yet to try it.

Also, you have a bigger pair.........than I do, being able to fly so close in, surrounded by those pines. Makes my WWAerodrome look huge! Also, should I get back down your way, the Elfi will have to fly elsewhere, in more open terrain. I think I know why your Moth (back on subject, ain't that slick?) won't go over 25 feet. It would have those trees to contend with.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:35 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Hahahaha! Wasn't it horrible? I like the part where I'm looking straight up at the plane....and she's looking at my back! She knows I'm not normal. I don't know if she's made the connection to the R/C stuff yet though. I figure the scars from the rose thorns in my crotch will heal in a couple of days.

I was trying to explain to someone else that although I'm in the middle of 5 acres, it's all hungry pine trees except where we cleared for the house. So, I have to fly around in circles to get above the trees... then I can zoom all over the place. I'll tell Terry you like her yard work. I have no idea where the bump into the camera lens came from. It was one of those twitches that turns out funny.... it just bounced off and kept on going. I have another short video I'll post after while. It really shows how high the little ace has to fly here. Some of these trees are about 80 ft. tall.
Well you guys missed my bit of fun this morning. I "landed" my Sig Demoiselle in a 70' tall fir this AM. Fortunately it was only 2/3rds of the way up and this tree is easily climbable. But it wasn't all fun and games as the rigging will all have to be replaced and I spanked the trailing edge of the wing tossing it out of the tree. It sure was nice to sit up there at about 50' and watch the birds, bugs and spiders though. Somethings you just can't catch on video tape. Nosiree, you really need a Cranial Port to share the sights, smells, and sensations...

My wife wanted to get pictures of my adventures, but I thought, heck these guys have imaginations....

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:00 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Nope, na-da, absolutely no way.............I'm keeping my big pretentious mouth CLOSED!!

Buzz: What kind of camera did you use for this video? Is it a regular camcorder or a still camera with video capability? My new Canon Power Shot S3IS has video capability but I have yet to try it.

Also, you have a bigger pair.........than I do, being able to fly so close in, surrounded by those pines. Makes my WWAerodrome look huge! Also, should I get back down your way, the Elfi will have to fly elsewhere, in more open terrain. I think I know why your Moth (back on subject, ain't that slick?) won't go over 25 feet. It would have those trees to contend with.

RD
I've been waiting for you! That video was shot with a mini cam. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. It will do still shots, but I put a 500 meg card in it, so I can capture up to 2 hours at a time. This is the one that will probably go up in the Wingo. But, I also have one of the 5 in 1 edvr cameras like the one you see on Wayne's plane. I've never seen such clear and color saturated videos. They don't' make them any more, but Gorrilla Bob's had a few left. $89. No, the only thing I fly in my yard is the AA. The Tiger moth nor anything else I have, except my heli, would never make it in these tight quarters. Really keeps you on your toes!

Edit: Doug, why did you plant a tree exactly at the end of your runway?
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Last edited by Buzz; Aug 31, 2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:03 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
Well you guys missed my bit of fun this morning. I "landed" my Sig Demoiselle in a 70' tall fir this AM. Fortunately it was only 2/3rds of the way up and this tree is easily climbable. But it wasn't all fun and games as the rigging will all have to be replaced and I spanked the trailing edge of the wing tossing it out of the tree. It sure was nice to sit up there at about 50' and watch the birds, bugs and spiders though. Somethings you just can't catch on video tape. Nosiree, you really need a Cranial Port to share the sights, smells, and sensations...

My wife wanted to get pictures of my adventures, but I thought, heck these guys have imaginations....

Looee
Looee.... you need to invest in a "surgical shotgun". When mine get stuck way up there, I blow the limb with the AA in it off with a shotgun.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:03 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Loooeee,
Not the Demoiselle! As long as we're off topic I took Fritz up for a little cruise behind enemy lines Sunday. Video on the website. Ignore the Swiss markings! They just looked better than the black!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:14 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Looee.... you need to invest in a "surgical shotgun". When mine get stuck way up there, I blow the limb with the AA in it off with a shotgun.
Well Buzz, I've got a 410/.22 but it's not used much. I've got neighbors who'd not take kindly to shotgun blasts, however small, frightening their livestock and pets.

And yes Boomer, #13, the Blackcat racer found a "nice" tree to alight in. All said and done, it was pretty unharmed when I reached it. I should have unplugged the battery and left it there untill I could do a more "surgical" removal. Sorry to hijack this thread guys, but it's just sort of funny, you talking about flying near trees and all.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Doug, why did you plant a tree exactly at the end of your runway?
Well, um....ah.....when I first planted it, it was a mere 10" seedling, courtesy of the National Arbor Foundation. I nursed it along, sort of got attached to it, and the diagonal runway was not as fully developed. This past year, the infamous Dogwood Tree, as it is now known, had a rather major hair cut. It's position is at the approach end of the runway, an approach being made ever more difficult due to the neighbors trees growing. I have to fly the "slot" with more precision these days, and the Moth remains the one plane that can do this without major incident. Jay Bird 2 and the Beleriot fill out the WWAerodrome activity, but it has been primarily Moth action. The Dogwood is scheduled for another major haircut, it just doesn't know it yet. Got to get the old chain saw oiled up! Attached photos show the approach 'challange' for WWAerodrome.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:43 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
I dunno, seems the camera person is right on. That guy trying to fly must be on his first solo flight. I would never fly into a rose bush, specially with my wife watching. Looks a bit fun though.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:51 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
I would never fly into a rose bush, specially with my wife watching.
Well, guess you know what I did. I, ah....duh......flew my Moth into the Monster Plants, and that one plant in the center was a real prick!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:07 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
I dunno, seems the camera person is right on. That guy trying to fly must be on his first solo flight. I would never fly into a rose bush, specially with my wife watching. Looks a bit fun though.
Rich
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:11 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,217 Posts
Ok, here is the short version of flying with one hand, looking through the viewfinder of my little camera with the other eye closed. Flyiing with one eye closed does weird things to your depth perception.

www.cheap-rc.com/SPY_0014.asf

I got it down.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:25 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
ROFLOL

Perfect Buzz! Love the commentary.

All you need is a big rubber band so you can use the camera hands-free, like the redneck hands-free cellphone.

Or maybe velcro it to a hat or helmet for helmet-cam video?

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:00 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Hey, is she the person who video taped Bigfoot in 1970?

And what WERE you doing in the rose bush - walk around next time! :-)

My wife shot a decent AeroAce video last week of my 8 year old son and me dogfighting. I own 4 of them - have 2 charging while flying the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Great Video Buzz! ROFLMAO.......... It's obvious your wife doesn't understand you with the "like any Normal Person" remark. Doesn't she know by now that anyone who flys RC ISN'T NORMAL!!!
boomer
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:10 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
$20 640 x 480 res digital camera

This is the $20 camera I picked up at walmart. It weighs 22.7 grams, has built in Li-ion battery that charges from USB. On board memory holds (25) 640 x 480 "hi-res" (???) pix. It has volatile memory, so you have to download the pix before you turn it off or recharge it or they get erased. Says it takes video, but only when hooked up to the USB, so that's pretty useless. In flight test will have to wait for TM2 to get done.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier