HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:29 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,687 Posts
Yeah Tom, I use an 8X4.3 SF on 2cell packs or 7X3.5 HD on 3cell packs 9X7 is too much prop!

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I want to try to fly 2s for now. I atleast have 8x4, 8x6, and 9x5 HD props on hand. Thanks again

Hey Kitty let me know when those wings get there, I'll follow up with Bob if you don't see them by Thursday.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:00 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Actually it seems that the only two cdrom motors that I have are having issues. They are falling out of sync or they feel like they are catching at low thottle settings. Maybe I need to order up a new set of cans for them, at higher throttle they are fine. The moth only needs 1/2 to take off though. So I am going to have to put my geared unit back on for now or find a another outrunner or find an outrunner mount for the IPS motor stick. Any ideas anyone? I

Could it be the bearing sleve? They do wear out. I'm starting to see mine show similar signs, and that's my guess. I'll just upgrade to ball bearings this time.
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:06 AM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
Time Out. I'm butting in here....

I'm now the proud owner of a gws tiger moth 3D. It's in the mail and rather than try to read kazillion threads (i've read some before buying), I've got a couple quick Questions. Great huh?

I've got an extra 400xt (approx 1000kv) and some 1250 2s batts. Is this a suitable power system? prop range?

Can someone reccommend a good build thread or site? Maybe with some basic needed mods? I know from experience with my Beaver that the GWS instructions may be a little lacking lol.

Thanks,
Ralph
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Stranger than Friction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
...I've made a lot of strange landings, and nothing has broken yet!
It's the strange flights that have some of us worried!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Well, I guess if it is weird, we should expect that from you by now.
Hey! I resemble that!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
It's the strange flights that have some of us worried!!

Hey! I resemble that!!

RD
LOL! Yeah, there have been a fair share of strange flights too. I was so excited about getting my Aero Ace up at least 400ft, I forgot that I needed to get it back. My wife said, "Isn't that kind of high up there? Can you get it back down?" "Uhhhhh.... no. At least not around here". So we watched it climb as it blew over the horizon. That was it's maiden!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Buzz, DOH!!! Don't do that to your Lama now! LOL

So updates on Moth 2.0 (or is it 1.5 since I am using the original main wing). Thrust angles & CG were right on the moth, the problem was in the CDRom motor being over propped (just like you all told me).

Tonight was beautiful (1-2mph winds), and I was out with the Moth for dusk patrol. I am quite happy and it is also a lot quieter. I was flying at almost walking speeds, really great! It works a lot better now with that 8x4HD prop and prop saver. The wife was rather amazed with the flight and after about 10 mins it was time to run some errands.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:52 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Prop Wash?

OK, I'll demonstrate my ignorance again (I'm very good at it!), and ask what I know has been asked before. What is the difference between the HD props for the Tiger Moth, and the other aforementioned props? My knowledge is of the orange colored ones. I have always run the 9x7 orange prop, on a stock IPS/"A" gearbox arrangement, never had any problems. However, I will be going to a Feigao on TM #2 and probably should be considering a different prop/gearbox arrangement. As the Forengi would say, "I'm all ears!"

RD

[restrain yourself, Buzz!! show some mercy!! ]
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:27 AM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
Doug,
The HD props are an enyirely different shape than the slo-flyer prop. They were ment for direct drive. They are a lot stronger at the base of the blades. ie. They don't break as easily. The HD props are available in most sizes. BTW I believe all of the GWS props are available in 3 colors now, Orange(of course), black and grey,when you can find them. I always ask for any color but orange.

Larry
Travler is online now Find More Posts by Travler
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:19 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Yup what Travler said, also the HD props draw less amps than the Slow Fly ones.

I was using the Feigao motor suggested for the IPS replacement on A gearing with a 9050HD prop on 3s740 Etec pack. It had tons of power, and I will use it again, for now it is going to sit in the old fuse I need to locate a few items to fix that fuse up. I just like how quiet this setup is.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:12 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell

[restrain yourself, Buzz!! show some mercy!! ]
Ok, just this once! I didn't know the difference either!

Should be a lot of fun around here the next couple of days. That hurricane/tropical storm is forecast to pass right over us. I'll have to make a raincoat for the moth!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:13 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
When I used the Feigao I just removed the IPS motor and slid the Feigao in it's place.
Used the same exact gearbox, heatsink, prop (9x7 SF) and batteries (2 cell 830).

Worked great, more power and longer flights.

Doug, I remember you said you liked the gear noise and there is nothing wrong with that.

The only reason I switched to CDROM direct drive is I personally prefer the almost silent flight of the direct drive.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:29 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Doug, I remember you said you liked the gear noise and there is nothing wrong with that. The only reason I switched to CDROM direct drive is I personally prefer the almost silent flight of the direct drive.
Wayne
Yes, there is a lot to be said for that. I also like the quietness of a direct drive. However, slipping a Feiago into an existing GWS IPS gearbox is appealing, might try it on TM #1, and I do believe that "buzz" (gee, can't get away from this guy! ) is part of the unique Mothness feature of the Pico Tiger Moth. Yep, I am hooked on the sound.

Will I be going the right direction with an orange prop, 9x7, using the Feiago motor? Or, should I be looking at the HD version? Lastly, are the HD props listed separately from the orange ones on GWS product sites, such as Balsa Products? If I can lower the amp draw on the Feiago power train with an HD prop, it would be in my best interests to do so. I have just had such good luck with the stock IPS, "A" gearing, 9x7, orange prop combination that I am somewhat spoiled. It has been sufficient for 970+ feet altitudes (...sorry Buzz, ) so I may need some direction here.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:29 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Doug, I believe using a HD prop will give a lower amp draw than the closest size SF prop. Even with the stock gear ratio there is plenty of power, so lower amps will translate to longer flights.

As far as props from BP Hobbies, there's good news and bad news.
The good news: They have both 9x7 SF and 9x7.5 HD props for $1.38 each, so it shouldn't hurt to pick up both and compare them for yourself.
Now the bad news: they're all out of orange and only have black in both types.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:04 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
The feigo ####25L has oodles of power on an 8X6 SF prop in an "A" box

on a 2 cells 830mah, it will achieve sustained inverted and do outside loops

at 3.7 amps static...

it was the only plane i got to fly last Sunday between raindrops but it was a blast...so much so I've even considered breaking down and installing flying wires just so i don't pew the scrooch.

but maybe not

Chuck

P.S. i know i said it before, but I am really impressed with this set up...I'll have to get Wayne to get Video next weekend (barring storms)
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy