Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2008, 05:10 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
Lancer - that gas tank looks great! Any chance you might mold a few extra for sale?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2008, 06:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Lancer - that gas tank looks great! Any chance you might mold a few extra for sale?
At this point it is hard to say. I am really doing it for our own use, and showing the pictures to show fellow modelers what is possible to accomplish.
If things work out, I would try to provide not only the tank, but other Pico Tiger Moth parts, as well. I bought the plastic I am using in 1970, and so far, haven't found a scource for it, so I wouldn't be able to make many sets.
The tank in the pictures turned out 1/8" too short, for some reason, so I am currently carving new mold. I will keep working on it, if I can, and let everyone know. Thanks for asking.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Sep 02, 2008, 09:20 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Looooeeee

Haven't seen your name pop up for quite awhile! I just want to kill that little kitten in you avatar! It drive me nuts.

Have you flown the "Defender of Soissons" anymore? It is a beautiful plane.

I can imagine it flying over the Chemin des Dames early in morning fog.

Hi Pat,

You'll have to excuse me for the kitten, the avatar is something my wife found. Our cats used to bat our noses to wake us up when they were young so it has some relevance to me.

The Defender gets flown at least once a week, sometimes 3 times. I've upgraded the motor to a Nippy Black sloflyer motor swinging a APC 8X3.8 it climbs nearly vertical now, I'm using it for AP work.

I'm not doing much modelling now, lots of work and I'm getting back into small motorbikes.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Sep 03, 2008, 10:28 AM
nerd
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jul 2007
431 Posts
Lancer, beautiful tank !
Where and how do I put an order for one ?
Would need a kitty-cowl as well...
/A
AndWho is offline Find More Posts by AndWho
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:02 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndWho
Lancer, beautiful tank !
Where and how do I put an order for one ?
Would need a kitty-cowl as well...
/A
Thank you, /A, (and other friends), I really have no interest in trying to make money from the hobby. If I am able to proceed with this "GWS Pico Tiger Moth scale accessory package", (and maybe for the "400", as well), it would be on a sort of "made-to-order" basis, priced mainly to cover expenses, because I want to help those who enjoy these little foam beauties, as do I.
As progress is made, (if it is made), all will be revealed, here in this thread.
I do thank you for your interest, it helps pry me away from this computer, and back to the bench!
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:30 AM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
I'd buy that package for sure. I have my first TM on the way, this will be the one I fly the most. I want to order a second for scale looks and flying time.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:41 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,164 Posts
Hi Lancer,

I would definatley buy a package as well. Well done!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Sep 03, 2008, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Thanks again, one & all! I just finished shaping the new, (correct length), wooden plug, and will now proceed to the corrugations, & details.
I don't yet own one of the new-production GWS Pico Tiger Moths, (I tried to order one, a few months back, but the shipping guys, & I forget what dealer it was, in-advertently sent me a 400 sloper, for the same price), but I doubt if they changed enough to mess up the tank area.
(No problem on the 400, I plan to convert it to a DH-60, Gipsy Moth, similar to below).
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Plod-Plod

Well, I got a lot done on the new tank mold. Should be able to pull a test part tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 07:59 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,293 Posts
Lancer

I have a new build for the Pico TM underway and would love to include your tank on it. Please tell me how to get one!

I am at the point where I will start painting it in the next day or so. Finished covering the fuselage with jap tissue and getting all the other minor mods to the elevator, rudder, fuselage and landing gear ready.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Lancer

I have a new build for the Pico TM underway and would love to include your tank on it. Please tell me how to get one!

I am at the point where I will start painting it in the next day or so. Finished covering the fuselage with jap tissue and getting all the other minor mods to the elevator, rudder, fuselage and landing gear ready.
Pat, and all GWS Pico TM enthusiasts
I will be working on this project every day. There is about a 90% chance of success, but until I have a good product, I can't commit to supply it. I should be able to post on here, before the weekend is over. If it does look good enough, I will ask for PMs about the tank parts. Please hold off, 'til then. Thank you.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:07 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Lancer

I have a new build for the Pico TM underway.... Finished covering the fuselage with jap tissue...
Tissue over foam? Interesting.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Tissue over foam? Interesting.

RD
Applied with Minwax Polycrylic, WBPU, that sounds like something that would be well worth a try, on the Pico TM fuselage, to keep the EPS cellules
from showing through the paint. (Pico's wings are already slick enough).
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Some good news!

Back in the corner of the basement, I found one last 38 year old, 24" X 48"
sheet of white, .010" ABS plastic, which is potentially about 40 draws, on my vac. former. (Tanks a lot)!
Here is another angle of what we are trying to simulate;
Old Sep 04, 2008, 12:05 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,293 Posts
Actually, the tissue (I use water thinned Elmers glue) I just paint the glue on the foam, lay the tissue over it (Japanese tissue), paint more glue on top and gently rub out the wrinkles. Let dry, paint with clear acrylic then spray with acrylic (Tamyia or others). It really hides the foam cellules and looks much more realistic. It also adds a bit of strength. Weight gain is minimal.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Daily; Sep 04, 2008 at 07:25 PM.