SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:20 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
LOL! That was horrid! No, it doesn't have a governor either. It won't be too long before you get to see for yourself. You WILL fly it when we do get together on your next trip down.... $10 says you can't get it to go any higher than I can.
You're on!

And $10 says you will get hooked on the Elfi when I bring it down for you to fly. Remember, Elfi #2 is full four channel, with brushless motor and 2000 mAh TP 3S1P LiPoly pack. No fancy computer radio, just a plain Jane Hitec Focus 4. Think you can handle it!!??

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Chuck,
I was at Hancock field in 1961 and 1962. I lived in Western NY at that time. Imagine my dismay at being stationed 100 miles from home.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:34 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
They still have the F16's there. I'm from WNY (Batavia), so working here (the GE plant, now Lockheed Martin) is pretty good.

This site is a builder's worst enemy. By the time I get home, eat dinner, help get the kids to bed, clean the kiddie pool or mow the lawn; etc, I then need to build and not get on here! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Block,

BTW in anouther lifetime Iwas stationed at Syaracuse AFB.(Hancock Field)
Larry
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Last edited by Block; Aug 23, 2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Block ,
You have a PM
Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:53 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Wow... @_@

You know, there I was with a tiger moth in need of work but with an intact power system, and an intact Citabria Pro airframe waiting for a motor of its own, so not being able to sit around with nothing airworthy in the stable, I rubbed my two brain cells together and got the Pro ready and took her out for a spin this morning at the unnatural hour of 6:15am.

Having flown nothing but Lil' Fishy for over a year now, there's two things I forgot:
1. SPEED!!!
and
2. Spin recovery!

That little rocket goes and goes fast, and while my brain knows how to recover from spins quite well (I perform the manoeuver with some frequency in sims!), it's another thing altogether to have a model that can and WILL spin! I've been flying RET so long my left thumb just stood there like an idiot! hehehe

Oh well, a little CA and she's already right as rain again, but wow. I'm missing my relaxing little TM already! So much painting to do... Oh, and I must give kudos where kudos are due! TeamTEOR being the angel that he is got me a set of replacement wings for the Fish! They should be here any day now!

Cheers!

K.
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:58 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
::Blush:: I am a sucker for great works of art.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 24, 2006, 02:45 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
[QUOTE=LedKitty]Wow... @_@

I've been flying RET so long my left thumb just stood there like an idiot! : hehehe.....

I can sure relate to that feeling, Kitty. I taught myself to fly 4 channel r/c on a sim, then bought a horizon hobbies Firebird, then a pico stick (underpowered until I put the feigao 120 on it), then Pico TM 1. Recently I built a 4 channel 3D TM with a 10 amp feigao 130, so I'm starting to relearn what that left thumb can do besides throttle. It also flies much faster, and doesn't glide anywhere near as well as the pico moth. Going back to the pico moth (before she flew down to Boomer's that is) I'd find myself pushing the left hand rudder and starting to wonder why there was no response.

So how does everyone get inspiration for their color schemes? I guess I will start building my next pico moth without having a color scheme in mind, but I do want to do justice to her finish.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Chuck,
I was at Hancock field in 1961 and 1962. I lived in Western NY at that time. Imagine my dismay at being stationed 100 miles from home.

Larry
My uncle was there for quite some time but in early 60's he was in Canada on our bases there

he was at Hancock mid 70's

he retired at panama city beach...Tyndall? is it?

he made full bird before getting out

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:00 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
[QUOTE=burntstringflier
So how does everyone get inspiration for their color schemes? I guess I will start building my next pico moth without having a color scheme in mind, but I do want to do justice to her finish.[/QUOTE]

Hi BurntString, to get some ideas of Tigermoth color schemes go to Airliners.net http://www.airliners.net/search/? search page and under Keywords enter DH-82, you'll get about 900 Tigermoth pictures.

Hi Kitty, glad to hear the Citabria is fixed again already. I keep having to re-learn left thumb = rudder all the time when switching from 3 to 4 channels. But fast aerobatic planes can be fun too. They're all good.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:33 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
You're on!

And $10 says you will get hooked on the Elfi when I bring it down for you to fly. Remember, Elfi #2 is full four channel, with brushless motor and 2000 mAh TP 3S1P LiPoly pack. No fancy computer radio, just a plain Jane Hitec Focus 4. Think you can handle it!!??

RD
Oh, god, I hate flying other people's airplanes. Ummm....you fly it first and I'll decide later. I dont know how you think you're going to get my moth over 25 ft..... but don't bring down a Harley engine or anything. LOL No changes. You have to fly it the way it is. I do need another plane to get hooked on.
I'm really very partial to pushers. No, not those guys on the street corner! Pusher AIRPLANES!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Buzz needs a 25 foot Multiplex Easy Star. Time to step up the 25 foot challenge.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
I'm really very partial to pushers. No, not those guys on the street corner! Pusher AIRPLANES!
OK, I'll bring my "slightly modified" T-Hawk, aka T-Hawk #2. Nice pusher design, and you can definitely get higher then 25 ft. with it.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
Connecticut
Joined Aug 2004
442 Posts
Tried out the new power setup in the Moth this week.

Carbon spar on bottom wing.
Needed to build stronger landing gear.
Eflite 370 BL in GWS 350C gearbox.
Apogee 1200 3S1P
AUW ~16oz

I love this setup. It's by far the heaviest TM I've flown, but flys like a dream. Very slow speed is retained but it can also fly FAST! I can also now fly it in winds that I wouldn't have considered with the last Moth, which was about 10oz.
It's a keeper.
GaryRC is offline Find More Posts by GaryRC
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:20 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Well, my moth had a nice flight tonight. Got to love Dusk Patrol!! I don't believe I was even able to fly it today after all of the flash flooding from this morning.

In any case I had found that my Moth was flying nose heavy. The only thing I could think of was that the new Specktrum RX weighed more than the GWS 4ch RX that was in there. Well when I got home I took the Kitty cowl off to see what was up. It seems that the motor was able to move in and out from the fuse. That would explain the nose heavy condition. I will need to really get on the ball here and reglue the motor into place. So the info I need from the TM Crew is what is the spacing normally used between the back of the gearbox and the firewall? I want to get it back to a stock position. I had that info written down, but it was lost with the manual. The down and right thrust is fine, I just need to reglue it back into position is it just broke loose to be able to move in and out. I'll adjust where the battery goes from there if I have a baseline from the stock setting.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:50 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Well, my moth had a nice flight tonight. Got to love Dusk Patrol!! I don't believe I was even able to fly it today after all of the flash flooding from this morning.

In any case I had found that my Moth was flying nose heavy. The only thing I could think of was that the new Specktrum RX weighed more than the GWS 4ch RX that was in there. Well when I got home I took the Kitty cowl off to see what was up. It seems that the motor was able to move in and out from the fuse. That would explain the nose heavy condition. I will need to really get on the ball here and reglue the motor into place. So the info I need from the TM Crew is what is the spacing normally used between the back of the gearbox and the firewall? I want to get it back to a stock position. I had that info written down, but it was lost with the manual. The down and right thrust is fine, I just need to reglue it back into position is it just broke loose to be able to move in and out. I'll adjust where the battery goes from there if I have a baseline from the stock setting.
Mine's 5/8" ..... but get someone else's input too. That measurement came off of the 25ft. moth.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz