HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:26 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,058 Posts
Hey Pat, are your floats from Foamfly? I just got mine yesterday. I think I'm going to add a small skeg to each. Any other advice? Really looking forward to flying off water..
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:45 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
My floats are made on a band saw with pink foam--glassed the bottom and sides.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:14 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the bad weather you guys had in Fla. Hope you are drying out. Just got back from a week in the Poconos. The weather was fabulous. Not a drop of rain for 7 days. Sunny and about 75 degrees everyday. Cool for August but perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Got my floats back on the TM before the trip. With the the BL motor it flew perfect. Lots of easy flying and touch and goes. No nose overs. Every morning and evening were dead calm and my moth couldn't have been happier. I must haveflown a good 30 flights.

Also had my GWS cub with me. I think the motor is about shot on her but she flew great as well.

Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Steve_A_Reno:

Great shot of your moth on floats. Nice reflection. The very essence of Moth!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
North of Lake Pontchartrain
Joined Jan 2006
236 Posts
Hi Pat,
Thanks for all the realy cool pics and vids you've put un this and other threads.
Did enjoy the auto gyro!
Are those floats on a pdf somewhere?
Thanks
Wes
wgoostrey is offline Find More Posts by wgoostrey
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:13 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a new set of wings? MY TM lost a dogfight with a friendly and got shot down today. Thanks.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:16 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Balsa Products and Tower both carry spare parts for GWS.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:53 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo
Does anyone know where I can get a new set of wings? MY TM lost a dogfight with a friendly and got shot down today. Thanks.
Doesn't Graves carry spare parts anymore?

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Here are the details on my pink foam (or blue foam--a bit heavier) floats. No diagrams or pdfs available. These floats are perfect for the TM and Cub-- this set had been in service since 2004 and are a bit beat up and you may note I snapped one in the middle and epoxied it back together.

Here are the measurements

The Top of the float is flat
Length 17.5 inches
Width 2 inches
Height at step 1.75 inches
Step notch is 0.25 inches deep
Height at rear of float is 0.5 inch
Step is 8 inches from the front.
The nose is a gentle French curve and is 1.5 inches deep at 4 inches behind the front of the float.
The step is 0.5 inches behind the leading edge of the lower wing.
The float is 3 inches below the fuselage at the front strut and 2.75 inches below the fuselage at the back strut.
The floats are 7 inches apart --inside to inside edge and parallel.
The struts are 0.051 music wire.
I use 1/16 ply pads (1.25 by 1.25 inches) epoxied to the tops of the floats 5,5 inches and 11.5 inches from the front.
I use nylon landing gear clips screwed into the pads to hole the cross braces and struts in place.
I use a 1/4 inch by 1/16 inche basswood skeg on the bottom of the rear of the float centered from the stop to the rear of the float.
I glass the bottom and sides of the float back to the step and the top back to the rear mount. You could glass the whole float if you want.

I drafted my bride, Sandie, and her kitchen to take some pics for you. Hope they help.
Last edited by Pat Daily; Aug 24, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
Doesn't Graves carry spare parts anymore?

Chuck
Yes they certainly do Chuck!

http://www.gravesrc.com/GWS_PICO_TIG...-tm-das2-y.htm

Henry, you do not even have to go inside the store and you can order it via on-line (something you know very well to do) and save on Gas $$$!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:23 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
911 Posts
Maybe I'm not using the right search terms... but is anyone aware of a post that describes how to remove the small metal gear from a brushed GWS IPS motor shaft and how to press it onto a Feigao replacement motor? I thought I'd better ask for help before immediately reaching for the hammer and chisel.

Pat, that sure is some fine looking work on your Moth!
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:38 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I tried Graves online.

Carlos:

Thank you for the good idea. I tried Graves online. It said I could ship ups so I thought I'd choose that since the wings are so light. When it came time for shipping charges, they wanted me to use DHL Ground, The 6.00 extra plus the 12.50 and tax, I'm close to $20.00 For that, I'll get a whole new kit online for $24.00 at tower and I have a free shipping code or $10.00 off if I spend $50.00. Unless someone is going to Graves in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Yes they certainly do Chuck!

http://www.gravesrc.com/GWS_PICO_TIG...-tm-das2-y.htm

Henry, you do not even have to go inside the store and you can order it via on-line (something you know very well to do) and save on Gas $$$!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Jug

You need a gear puller for these small motors--I think they are available from some of the on line places. I bought one years ago. GWS may even sell one. I use a small vise to push the gear on a shaft very gently. If you use a hammer, barely tap it on and make sure the back end of the shaft is on something hard like a steel ruler.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
I just finished installing a brushless esc and one of my new headsuprc outrunners on my old Land plane version of the Tiger Moth. I used a circle of 1/2 inch balsa with a 1/8 inch lite ply fire wall and the radial mount. Need a bit of downthrust with 2 lipos and an 8 x3.8 APC. Flew it on my cul de sac. It still needs a bit more downthrust to handle full power. I got tired of my brushed motor cutting in and out.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 04:19 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
BEAUTIFUL PHOTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno
Sorry to hear about all the bad weather you guys had in Fla. Hope you are drying out. Just got back from a week in the Poconos. The weather was fabulous. Not a drop of rain for 7 days. Sunny and about 75 degrees everyday. Cool for August but perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Got my floats back on the TM before the trip. With the the BL motor it flew perfect. Lots of easy flying and touch and goes. No nose overs. Every morning and evening were dead calm and my moth couldn't have been happier. I must haveflown a good 30 flights.

Also had my GWS cub with me. I think the motor is about shot on her but she flew great as well.