Old May 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca
Buzz -

NO, NO, NO!!! You must continue with the 25' TM! No changes allowed to brushless power! Jeeze, who are we going to get on if YOURS gets over 25' - have a heart!

Aeronca
Oh, ye of little faith! I'll bet it still won't fly over 25ft. LOL! It will only go faster and peel the wings off.

I think I'll carry it around and get people to sign it, then claim it has been around the world, and those are all the pilot's names!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 07:17 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Oh, ye of little faith! I'll bet it still won't fly over 25ft. LOL! It will only go faster and peel the wings off.

I think I'll carry it around and get people to sign it, then claim it has been around the world, and those are all the pilot's names!

Flying all over the world at 25'....Hmmmmmm!...Okay. .. I'll go for that

Chuck

ps. NOT!!
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old May 10, 2006, 11:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
I AM DIZZY!

ok so ive decided to order the $50.75 pico tigermoth with the IPS motor. i am also ordering 7-Cell 8.4V 2/3 AAA 370 mAH Ni-MH Flat Packs (Basketcase thanks for the link). Ive read many of these threads but lots of the info is outdated and old.

i am comfortable with rudder and elevator only and have been drooling over the tigermoth for quite some time. the only question i have is:

What mods are absolute must? from what i read these are the most important:
1. support for the wing struts
2. cross rigging (what does this mean?)
3. make the spar stronger. (i read you can add a spar made out of 1/8 in. light ply and it would help so the wings wont fold if trying a loop.

keep in mind i just want a relaxed slow flier. i dont care about aerobatics or tricks.

thanks for any help
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old May 10, 2006, 11:56 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Believe it or not for relaxed slowflying it will fly just fine bone stone stock with no mods at all.
I got several hundred flights on my first Pico Tigermoth and it had no mods at all.

You do not need to add a spar. The flying wires are a help if you plan to push it hard with high (sort of) speed loops and such.
You can also add .125 carbon tube split and glued on front and rear of each of the struts.
Also you can use some of the same carbon tube split with 1/4 removed and put it in the landing gear slot for the wire to slip into.

PM basketcase if you want a good diagram and how to on the flying wires.

Good luck and have fun!
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:57 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
One more thing. The GWS glue included is contact cement not reguler glue.
You might want to pick up some foam safe ca or epoxy to assemble it.

Throw the tape away they give you.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:08 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Buzz, I will 100% guarantee that if you go brushless that your moth will see any altitude you dare to fly at.

Hi Luis, here's a thread on the building of my second Pico Moth explaining and showing pics of the mods I used.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=59561

As Wes mentioned for relaxed slow flying it will do fine completly stock. With the 7 cell Nimh battery pack I recommended the battery bay will have to be widened a little bit but it's very easy to do. Even easier if you do it before gluing the fuse halves together.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 11, 2006, 12:11 AM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
I AM DIZZY!

What mods are absolute must? from what i read these are the most important:
1. support for the wing struts
2. cross rigging (what does this mean?)
3. make the spar stronger. (i read you can add a spar made out of 1/8 in. light ply and it would help so the wings wont fold if trying a loop.

keep in mind i just want a relaxed slow flier. i dont care about aerobatics or tricks.

thanks for any help
Luis,
Take a look at the 2 excellent links in post # 53 on the page before this, posted by Basketcase. Personally, I haven't gotten around to adding rigging, or any wing reinforcement to my pico moth, and it's well into it's second season, with hundreds of flights and at least a dozen crashes or very bad "landings". But it weighs a bit less than 8 ounces, with battery and IPS sized brushless. If you keep the weight down, it will turn fast, and pitch up fast without folding the wings. If you end up at 10 ounces, go ahead and add the wing "wires". Get the dihedral right--don't use blocks at the tips like I did at first--the wing will just bend and the dihedral will come right back out when you take it off the blocks. After I got mine back apart, I sanded just a little clearance in the dihedral joint, and used a little bit of epoxy (mixed with microballoons, but that's not essential). Proper dihedral is essential for good turns. I use a clean scrubby pad or steel wool to scuff up the wing where the wing struts glue on, and lightly sand the struts themselves, then wipe it all clean with a tissue dampened with alcohol. But in a crash or a really hard landing, the struts will still come apart. I figure that's OK, something's got to give. I also didn't do the landing gear mods on Moth #1, just tied the two sides of the LG wire together with a few turns of kevlar thread, right where it comes out of the fuse. That keeps the wires from spreading out and breaking the sides of the foam. Have fun, but keep your moth in sight while you fly it--(see my next post on that subject).
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old May 11, 2006, 12:35 AM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
here's why you keep it in sight when flying

I flew over my house the other day, downwind from where I was in the front yard. Not a lot of wind, but suddenly my little yellow moth just dipped down right behind the peak of the roof. I immediately added up elevator and throttle, but it did not come back in sight within about 2 or 3 seconds, so there was nothing to do but cut power and walk around to look for it. Looks like it landed upside down. Fractured the motor stick(a first for my moth), and broke the wing. Tried foam safe "instant thin" super glue on the wing--didn't like it at all--it wouldn't set up, even after holding for nearly 5 minutes. So I took the joint apart, added more glue, taped it with masking tape, and left it for half an hour. Still didn't set up, so I used a tiny bit of Zip Kicker (I keep mine in a perfume atomizer). That did the trick, and didn't seem to hurt the foam. Also used some fiberglass tape over the splice, and colored it with a yellow sharpie--thanks to whoever suggested that-- it's as good a color match as anything I've found. So next time I'll keep that moth in sight--besides, she's so pretty in the air!
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old May 11, 2006, 09:54 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier
Some more moth pics
Nice photos, very helpful and informative. I am building a huge library of Tiger Moth related photos and info. Thanks.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old May 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy
Flying all over the world at 25'....Hmmmmmm!...Okay. .. I'll go for that

Chuck

ps. NOT!!
LMAO!! The new lens motor should help a little..
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 11, 2006, 05:24 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
LMAO!! The new lens motor should help a little..

Nah......the plane, having never been any higher before in it's life, would probably whimper at the gearbox and let loose a rear dropping and dive back at terra firma.. ...may take some coaxing

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old May 11, 2006, 08:09 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
Hi Guys, I ready to put together my 3rd TM and really love my last 2. Want to upgrade, dare I say, to a brushless. What are your recommendations.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old May 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Ralph,

I'm going to go with a homemade CD brushless on mine. That'll keep the weight down and the power plentifull.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy